I am seriously thinking about not renewing my marriage extension this year.

On 8/10/2024 at 1:21 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Without wanting to delve into the mind of Bob, or whatever AI bot he is, made me think a little.

Me and Mrs G were discussing a couple of evenings ago maybe returning to Thailand.

Then we  got in to the hassles for me.

In the US Mrs G is a Permanent Resident, soon to be citizen. No 90 day checks, no money in the bank, apart from the fact she can't vote she looks just like me.

I just don't think I'm ready for all that hassle again. Just bring in something looking like when Thai spouses go to the West and maybe I'll think again.

My wife did that. She went west, became a US citizen and now we're happily living in Thailand raising our grandson. She came into Thailand on her Thai passport, which she renewed in the US and has no visa issues. I go yearly for the retirement visa which isn't a big chore anymore. Spend a few hours and I'm good to go a year.

9 hours ago, mogoso said:

My wife did that. She went west, became a US citizen and now we're happily living in Thailand raising our grandson. She came into Thailand on her Thai passport, which she renewed in the US and has no visa issues. I go yearly for the retirement visa which isn't a big chore anymore. Spend a few hours and I'm good to go a year.

The other thing that comes into my equation. I just aged into Medicare so I don't worry about healthcare,

When we lived in Thailand full time insurance was already crazy expensive.

Now I'm not sure that I could even get insurance at at any price

Unlike many of you I do worry about health insurance and couldn't deal with the risk of 'self insure' which is a nonsense concept. That will bankrupt you in a couple of weeks if you get seriously ill.

My Medicare Advantage covers me for our annual trip to Thailand so I'm good with that

Edited by GinBoy2