Today at 7/11.....

11 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

The cashier cares when 40 Bht gets taken from her pittence that they call wages...

I care too. I don't like the thought I am cheating people.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/11/2024 at 2:22 PM, SammyJ said:

You didn't receive any compliment from a teenager working at a 7-11==she wasn't nasty or rude, just didn't praise you saving her, potentially, 40 baht, and since no parades were held in your honor, you think this is a reflection all "Thai people" rather than perhaps a distracted, uninterested teenager (what's new there anywhere in the world) working at a 7-11 and probably too thrilled with the way things may be going in her life that she forgot to compliment you.  Best not to look for gratification from cashiers at a 7-11, regardless of where it may be.

The super classical troll from this website!

The post is interesting because, yes the Thais became more rude, and at the 7/11 it's the worst of the worst! 

I even had one who closed her cashier as soon as I arrived to pay. I did nothing wrong, just pure racism. I saw the day coming when I was going to throw the entire content of my basket in her face and to avoid any incident, I walked 200 meters more to go to another one.  And don't make any mistake, at my previous address, I had made friends with a Manager and they perfectly know the customers, especially those who spend more than the average!  Fortunately, this 7/11 has changed ownership and the whole team has changed.  Now they're just perfectly unpleasant, like almost all of 7/11.  No need to tell me that in your 7, the girls are nice, I met them too, 10+ years ago.  The Thais have changed a lot over the last 10 years: the cell phone, the economic recession and the Covid having been there, I don't blame them, it's understandable.  On the other hand, whether in my country or here, I have the habit of not giving my money to frankly unsympathetic shops!  I studied business, I worked for chain stores as an assistant then manager, and - in my country - it is inconceivable not to answer "hello", not to say "thank you" and "goodbye!" I live  in a Thai Thai area, I know perfectly well that people are less rich and more rude, but I educate them with a "Bye-Bye" and a big smile and if at first they laugh, after a while, they do the same. Finally, I avoid chain stores as much as possible. I prefer mini-marts, the covered market and small family restaurants. It's to be preferred, especially since the prices are almost the same. And that has nothing to do with thinking you're someone else. And, if you live in central Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket, with the flux of customers, I understand that they prefer to work faster than to be polite, but 1/ they are none of them and 2/ not everybody live in these places. 

If you don't understand my point of view, before answering, ask yourself if your not also considered as rude with others.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/11/2024 at 1:39 PM, novacova said:

Don’t take it personally, why bother to read in to strangers dispositions or thoughts. 

Language barrier perhaps? Haven’t you ever experienced cashiers and shopkeepers having a bad day in where you’re from or other countries? 

In the UK and usually in a pub, when I've pointed out an error (in MY favour) twice I've got the height of abuse. I repeated what I said and watched as it slowly dawns on them that I'm being helpful. I think best to keep quiet.

1 hour ago, saintdomingo said:

In the UK and usually in a pub, when I've pointed out an error (in MY favour) twice I've got the height of abuse. I repeated what I said and watched as it slowly dawns on them that I'm being helpful. I think best to keep quiet.

We humans are quite the dynamic bunch aren’t we 

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2024 at 8:33 PM, Lacessit said:

IIRC I pointed to the burger and said " Leum Ni Mai?"

She then looked at the sales slip still in her hand with my change, and realized it was missing. Rang it up, and generated another sales slip, adjusted my change.

I’m under charged or not charged for items quite often, more so than over charged. Just quote the price that they missed and all is well and never gotten any grief. Life is much easier than what some make it out to be, it really is. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2024 at 1:31 PM, susanlea said:

Say nothing next time. Just pay the bill. 7/11 is a big business. 40 baht who cares.

I don't look at the bill (in the bin), or count my change, so I never have a problem with being under/over charged or the wrong change.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marsupienemi said:

The post is interesting because, yes the Thais became more rude, and at the 7/11 it's the worst of the worst! 

I even had one who closed her cashier as soon as I arrived to pay. I did nothing wrong, just pure racism. I saw the day coming when I was going to throw the entire content of my basket in her face and to avoid any incident, I walked 200 meters more to go to another one.  And don't make any mistake, at my previous address, I had made friends with a Manager and they perfectly know the customers, especially those who spend more than the average!  Fortunately, this 7/11 has changed ownership and the whole team has changed.  Now they're just perfectly unpleasant, like almost all of 7/11.  No need to tell me that in your 7, the girls are nice, I met them too, 10+ years ago.  The Thais have changed a lot over the last 10 years: the cell phone, the economic recession and the Covid having been there, I don't blame them, it's understandable.  On the other hand, whether in my country or here, I have the habit of not giving my money to frankly unsympathetic shops!  I studied business, I worked for chain stores as an assistant then manager, and - in my country - it is inconceivable not to answer "hello", not to say "thank you" and "goodbye!" I live  in a Thai Thai area, I know perfectly well that people are less rich and more rude, but I educate them with a "Bye-Bye" and a big smile and if at first they laugh, after a while, they do the same. Finally, I avoid chain stores as much as possible. I prefer mini-marts, the covered market and small family restaurants. It's to be preferred, especially since the prices are almost the same. And that has nothing to do with thinking you're someone else. And, if you live in central Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket, with the flux of customers, I understand that they prefer to work faster than to be polite, but 1/ they are none of them and 2/ not everybody live in these places. 

If you don't understand my point of view, before answering, ask yourself if your not also considered as rude with others.

TL:DR

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Please tell me where in my OP I said I expect 7/11 workers to bow and scrape to me.

I corrected a mistake. I said a simple thank you or smile would have sufficed.

Your post appears to be arrogant in itself, perhaps you are into the holier-than-thou shtick.

Directly you didnt but you thought the service was sub-standard and they should have smiled if nothing else.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Directly you didnt but you thought the service was sub-standard and they should have smiled if nothing else.

Show me where I said the service was sub-standard. In any of my 24 posts.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Marsupienemi said:

Such a rant over a 7/11 shop, and your posting of racism by 7/11 workers is pure rubbish.

With your attitude (especially wanting to throw a basket at someone) is you being rude and obnoxious.

Decompress and lighten up.

• Agree 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

Show me where I said the service was sub-standard. In any of my 24 posts.

You stated it was in effect poor and not very good. I would say overall it was less than you would normally expect from a 7-11 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

You stated it was in effect poor and not very good. I would say overall it was less than you would normally expect from a 7-11 

Deflection. You can't find the word sub-standard, can you?

Isn't there another thread you can go to, instead of infesting mine?

• Sad 1

I get a similar experience with regular undercharging in my local pub.  Server takes order, wanders past cashier telling her what I've ordered, then server goes and fetches my order.  I used to point out the missing beers at the end of my visit, never got any positive reaction, only a new correct bill.  Not a problem to me but I've given up telling them as it's their system that fails every time.  Some of the servers though have now taken to asking me when I get my bill at the end if it is correct or not, I suspect I have gained a negative reputation by trying to help them out.

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

the high quality posters here moaning about their culinary high end meals...and the service that is entitled to them is seems

Yeah, the same ones who cry when they have to pay 185 THB for an Australian beef cheeseburger with fries.....

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Yeah, the same ones who cry when they have to pay 185 THB for an Australian beef cheeseburger with fries.....

... outrageous ... :cheesy:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/11/2024 at 7:28 AM, Lacessit said:

I went to 7/11 today from the village to pick up lunch. OK, I slum it occasionally.

I bought about half a dozen items, took them to the cash register. The young girl behind the counter put the double pork burger and cheese aside to be microwaved.

She scanned the items, and gave me my change. I pointed out she had not scanned the burger, or charged me for it.

It was if I had offended her, or caused her to lose face. No smile, no thank you after I had rectified an error which might have got her pay docked at the end of the day.

I still fail sometimes to understand Thai people.

You are talking about 43 Baht (for the burger) , its not like its a life changing amount of money .

What was you hoping for ?

A marriage proposal ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I don't look at the bill (in the bin), or count my change, so I never have a problem with being under/over charged or the wrong change.

Maybe you should, in Mr DIY a girl short changed me twice 100 baht, second time she got both barrels, Burger King bird 100 short, i told the manager

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Who cares? Who in their right mind eats that crap anyway?

Try one ... they're a culinary masterpiece :coffee1:

tic toc tic toc

4 hours ago, Marsupienemi said:

The foreign tourists and expats have changed over the last 30 years too. Then people had money and had more travel experience.

Way too many entitled foreign idiots in the country now.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

im starting to think many supposed adults here are nt ready for the usual nastiness that is the internet...enter at your own risk

Don't even start with the confused and sad emoji's so many "supposed adults" were offended that they made all reactions anonymous  

"somebody reacted to a post"    I'd like to know who exactly  but am deemed not adult enough to know !

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You go to shops to buy items, you don't go there to make new friends , who would you want to make friends with the staff ?

I've had very few bad interactions in 7/11   the worst being that I took a 3 pack of bottled beer from the fridge  not knowing that the cardboard holder was wet through   it broke and all but the one bottle I was holding by the neck smashed on the floor just before I got to the counter  they expected me to pay for the spilt beer.

Lesson learned those cardboard containers are not to be trusted   get a basket or support the 3 bottle packs on your forearm  don't just hold one by the neck.

In comparison one time I bought a litre of Vodka (one of many) at Tesco in London and the carrier bag they gave me split in the car park  smashing all over the place  I went back in and told them what happened  and they immediately   without question gave me another bottle of Vodka  and sent a clean-up crew to the car park.

14 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Why would you want to  make friends with them ?

Its a shop, not a dating agency or a bar 

Some of them are very flirtatious  I think a date would be quite possible.