How to detect call centre scams with two simple steps

scam.jpg

A simple trick reveals how to check if a strange number calling you is from a call centre scam. Just follow two easy steps to know immediately if it’s a scammer.

Call centre scams have become a widespread issue in Thailand, affecting people of all ages, professions, and backgrounds. Many individuals have become wary and have started avoiding answering calls from unfamiliar numbers.

The cybercriminals behind these scams often target a wide range of victims, not just older people. According to a post by the Facebook page Kan Jom Phalang, there is a straightforward method to filter out suspicious phone numbers and determine if they are from call centre scammers or real people.

One easy method is to simply hang up the call. If the call is from a regular person, you should be able to call back. However, if it is from a call centre scam, you won’t be able to return the call.

The reason you cannot call back is that scammers use special equipment to make their calls, rather than traditional telephones. Additionally, some call centre scammers impersonate officials using fake Facebook or LINE accounts to make video calls, which are also fraudulent.

The Facebook post advised…

“Just hang up and try calling back. If it’s a legitimate call, you’ll be able to reconnect. If not, it’s likely a scam.”

By following these simple steps, people can protect themselves from falling victim to these fraudulent schemes. It’s important to stay vigilant and cautious, especially when dealing with unknown numbers, reported Sanook.

By Sarishti Arora

Picture courtesy of Anna Tarazevich from pexels.com

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-12

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some of my favorite are people from India with heavy Indian accents with names like George or William. And of course, there is the inevitable need for the recipient to send money somewhere.

• Haha 1

I always answer, but I think the easiest way to detect a scam, is if they do not answer immediately when you say hello. If they do not answer right away, just hang up. If it's a scam, they never call back. 

27 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Don't some scams work by stinging you bigtime for making a call to a scam number?

Yes, I too have heard of this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, novacova said:

Don’t answer unknown numbers. Problem solved.

Exactly. I dont even pick up my US phone when it rings, especially when I am overseas. However, I will answer my Cambodian and Thai numbers during food delivery time. Otherwise both those numbers go to VM which I never listen too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Some scammers dial your number not with the intention of talking to you. The moment you anwer, even without making a sound, the caller, respectively his computer, adds your number to a list of real numbers that get answered, this list gets sold to phone marketing companies and the number of scam calls you get multiplies.

Yeah, I really don't mind taking calls. 

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Don't some scams work by stinging you bigtime for making a call to a scam number?

Yes the auto-diallers can display a pre-determined fake number as the caller ID. This circumvents call-blockers by always using fresh 'bona-fide' numbers. The other more nefarious M.O. is the use a very expensive premium rate number for the unwary to call back to naively.

Also a lot of auto-diallers put the call through to a human call handler (scammer) only when a voice actually answers so that time is only spent on live fishes on the hook. This is what is happening when you answer and SAY NOTHING and the call drops in seconds. Or when the oh-so-real voice bot gets no answer to the questions it asked and similarly the call drops.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A few months ago I answered on and acted very old(which I am). And, played the dementia card. 

After I hung up, I was getting phone calls for days and by the hour from different scammers. 

After a few days of not getting anything from me they stopped.

Goes to show how bored I was... 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A simple trick reveals how to check if a strange number calling you is from a call centre scam. Just follow two easy steps to know immediately if it’s a scammer.

Have all your contacts saved with a name..

No name..delete the call, don't even answer it.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Have all your contacts saved with a name..

No name..delete the call, don't even answer it.

Yet this is not always true, if someone calls via Skype or Whatsapp, you will also get to see a strange number while it could be someone from your known Whatsapp/Skype group.

In this past week I've received several calls from a country code +697. There is no such country code. Further research tells me that +697 and +698 are scammer call centers. Do not answer. Then block 

51 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Yet this is not always true, if someone calls via Skype or Whatsapp, you will also get to see a strange number while it could be someone from your known Whatsapp/Skype group.

So delete those two Apps... better ones out there.

• Confused 1

A while since, but I had a succession of calls from Indian scammers (could have been any nationality)......trying to get me to load software onto a PC.

I realised it was "fun to play dumb"....it took an age for some of them to realise and they were absolutely furious when it dawned on them I was just wasting their time.

I don't answer calls from numbers that are not in my address book. Friends asked whether I might be missing an important call, but I say, if the person knows my mobile number they can sms or drop me an email so I know who it is.

• Thumbs Up 2