Air Fryer vs Halogen cooker

KannikaP

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Really, how do you know this?

Just ordered at 1795, but can cancel and re-order tomorrow. Link to Shopee shop please in PM.

Edited by KannikaP

40 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I would probably just get your old oven repaired, there are a lot of places that do that and it won’t be expensive

Yes, I shall not throw it out as it is great for big dinner parties. But I want to try an Air Fryer anyway.

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Code 15MALL1000 tomorrow morning.

Thanks. Ordered a mid-day, it's on it's way already. 1400 plus 135 shipping is only saving 200, ( 3 x Changs) so won't bother. Thanks anyway.

I use my air fryer for everything.  No need for a frying pan anymore.   I don't recommend the small ones.  You need lots of space around the food even if just cooking for yourself, so small ones just won't cut it unless you eat like a mouse.  It's important to get one that is easy to clean.  That is the biggest hassle with them and you pretty much need to clean after every use.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And in your next post

I wouldn't buy a Halogen oven in the first place. The light clicking on and off could be an annoyance.

They are not halogen ovens. I guess you didn't bother to check before posting. Next time, check before reacting.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@KannikaP 3.5L would be too small to prepare meal for 3.  You'd need microwave to reheat the other dishes after the last is prepared in the air fryer, assuming that's all you're using.

Ours is 4.5L (at 1/2 the Xiaomi price) and good for 1 dish, usually the protein, if using at all.  If using just 1 appliance, I'd go for our Electrolux 56L convection oven/air fryer (actually labeled AF, has strong fan motors), as has space for complete meal, and large enough for anything.

Air fryer are handy & convenient, but limited ability to prepare a full meal.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, NowNow said:

Obviously nothing to do with Xiaomi. It's not even a copy. I'd be wary.

Theirs looks like this: 

image.png.12e414f42111f64008ea3e7d03b6c30e.png

Mi is a subsidiary of Xiaomi, and is a brand used to sell phones and other consumer electronics.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Mi is a subsidiary of Xiaomi, and is a brand used to sell phones and other consumer electronics.  

Wake up! That's nothing to do with what is being discussed there. It's neither a Mi nor a Xiaomi.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

@KannikaP 3.5L would be too small to prepare meal for 3.  You'd need microwave to reheat the other dishes after the last is prepared in the air fryer, assuming that's all you're using.

Ours is 4.5L (at 1/2 the Xiaomi price) and good for 1 dish, usually the protein, if using at all.  If using just 1 appliance, I'd go for our Electrolux 56L convection oven/air fryer (actually labeled AF, has strong fan motors), as has space for complete meal, and large enough for anything.

Air fryer are handy & convenient, but limited ability to prepare a full meal.

Most of the guys here are, to all intents and purposes, single. Their idea of good food and what constitutes a full meal might be different from yours or mine.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Most of the guys here are, to all intents and purposes, single. Their idea of good food and what constitutes a full meal might be different from yours or mine.

OP did state, family of 3.

I do understand that many live out of a box room and basically don't cook for themselves.   Their idea of full kitchen appliances is a microwave & frig large enough to hold 6 beers & leftovers from last night.

image.png.b98ccaa8026fe58b0d0413d9cd1f1156.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

OP did state, family of 3.

I do understand that many live out of a box room and basically don't cook for themselves.   Their idea of kitchen appliances is a microwave & frig large enough to hold 6 beers & leftovers from last night.

It seems incredible that someone would think that a 3.5l oven is a replacement for a full sized oven for three people. I'd be surprised if the third person eats with them at all. I guess most use them for frozen chips and meat/sausages. I think their local friends would soon tire of that. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, NowNow said:

It seems incredible that someone would think that a 3.5l oven is a replacement for a full sized oven for three people. I'd be surprised if the third person eats with them at all. I guess most use them for frozen chips and meat/sausages. I think their local friends would soon tire of that. 

That's why it's good for inexperience people to ask such a question on a forum, before moving forward.

Not everyone is a savvy or knowledgeable in the kitchen or about appliances.  You watch the promos and they show full meals.   Something you're not going to get or be able to do, as implied, with any 'mini' air fryer/convection oven.

I could prep a full meal in our 12L glass air fryer, but 3+ times larger than the one the OP is peeking at.   Though still a bit cramped, but doable in 12L size. 

Bought an Air Fryer over a year ago. Great for single portion of frozen fish & Chips, and other frozen stuff, as well as snags.

However, have found 1 year on the alleged non-stick coating on the removeable cooking plate has worn to the point of rusting. Most likely was just a coating of matt black paint!

So now need to wrap the plate in aluminium foil for a rust-free experience and punch a couple of drainage holes. 

Aggressive wear most likely due to heavy cleaning.

Just saying.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

That's why it's good for inexperience people to ask such a question on a forum, before moving forward.

Not everyone is a savvy or knowledgeable in the kitchen or about appliances.  You watch the promos and they show full meals.   Something you're not going to get or be able to do, as implied, with any 'mini' air fryer/convection oven.

I could prep a full meal in our 12L glass air fryer, but 3+ times larger than the one the OP is peeking at.   Though still a bit cramped, but doable in 12L size. 

They asked.... and still went for a 3.5l air fryer......

I suggested a 12 litre 'air fryer'/convection oven at less than half the price. A 3.5l air fryer is just a toy for a single man. So many convince themselves that their tiny air fryers are all that is necessary.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, NowNow said:

They asked.... and still went for a 3.5l air fryer......

I suggested a 12 litre 'air fryer'/convection oven at less than half the price. A 3.5l air fryer is just a toy for a single man. So many convince themselves that their tiny air fryers are all that is necessary.

OP did mention the use of a 'steamer' for side dishes 👍

So has a ball park idea of moving forward.   

@KannikaP Though I'd go for a more conventional 15L convection oven/air fryer, if not larger, instead of the OTTO mentioned. 

Something with a lower & upper heating element, if planning on doing any baking (bread, deserts, pizza).

Seen a few square-ish looking units with glass doors.  Example of:

image.png.b243846666e3692349986811e59d4a8d.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Used an Air fryer does everything Except Chips they just don't cook the same as a deep fryer. If it was me i'd go for a single cheap gas bottle hob fryer  300 tbt probs for chips nuggets, wings legs Etc. 

And yet ALL the adverts for Air Fryers use chips/french fries, as their No. 1 selling point, removing the need for lots of oil which splatters everywhere when you put in the potatoes. And of course, only one part of the meal can be cooked at once needed to keep the others warm. 

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So has a ball park idea of moving forward.   Though I'd go for a more conventional 15L convection oven/air fryer, if not larger, instead of the OTTO mentioned. 

Something with a lower & upper heating element, if planning on doing any baking (bread, deserts, pizza).

I can do bread, desserts, pizza in a normal 12l convection oven, but I use an extension ring(expands oven to 17l and allows for more even cooking) for that.

Of course I advise on a minimal cost basis. The minimum cost to get the job done. Everyone is welcome to spend 5x more on a bigger and more capable appliance if they wish. But to spend more than double for something 3x smaller seems counter-intuitive.

Edited by NowNow
  • Thanks 1

I have the original Philips Air Fryer from over a decade ago and a much larger glass front oven/air fryer/grill combo like KhunLA posted a picture of.  I think I only used the big one once cooking fries for a crowd.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So has a ball park idea of moving forward.   

@KannikaP Though I'd go for a more conventional 15L convection oven/air fryer, if not larger, instead of the OTTO mentioned. 

Thank you KhunLA, and to NowNow for both of your posts advising me that I was being a nutter getting the 3.5l Air Fryer. I have learned my lesson, cancelled the Shopee order, and will take notice of you both, especially NowNow in future. 

After all this advice and discussion, I shall stick with my cast iron skillet on the gas hob for my fish, burgers, bangers etc etc, and do my chips/wedges in a frying pan with a shallow layer of oil. All other dishes can be done in the wok.

Edited by KannikaP

On 8/14/2024 at 10:13 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I think you can never have enough microwave ovens.

If you’re having a dinner party, with three or four veggies, having more than one microwave helps a lot

Lazada has some of the high-power ones they use in 7-Eleven, if I was in the market for a microwave, that’s what I would buy.

Over 53,000 baht for a microwave? Nah, the extra 500 watts is not worth an extra 50,000 baht.

https://wafuu.com/en-th/products/panasonic-microwave-oven-ne-1802-dlvb901?variant=44644218011811&currency=THB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Thai&utm_content=Panasonic Microwave Oven NE-1802 DLVB901 ※200V&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwq_G1BhCSARIsACc7Nxo80wqEK8sKDXxyyNLYi7UkfN2Y8hNhn7YyMpdW33uNJhju_Ioqyz4aAtCuEALw_wcB

• Agree 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

Thank you KhunLA, and to NowNow for both of your posts advising me that I was being a nutter getting the 3.5l Air Fryer. I have learned my lesson, cancelled the Shopee order, and will take notice of you both, especially NowNow in future

Hey ... what up with that :cheesy:

Give me a gas hob/cast iron skillet & my 56L convection oven/air fryer, and I can whip up anything.

Though will admit, I do use the 4.5L air fryer for some protein cooking.  A couple salmon filets, pork belly, chicken and did 2 small pork tenderloins the other day.  A bit of tin foil and easy clean up with fast cooking.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2024 at 10:22 AM, dddave said:

I also have both Air Fryer (6 litre) and a Halogen oven.  The air fryer gets used daily for chicken, pork, bacon, pretty much everything, even including steak. 

The much larger and less convenient Halogen oven comes out when I want to cook a pizza or whole chicken or a large quantity of something, like roast vegetables and potato.  I tried doing bread for a while but just don't have the patience.

If I could only have one: air fryer all the way.  

BTW:  If you currently have a halogen oven or plan on buying one, it may be a good idea to purchase a few extra bulbs now while you still can.  The manufacture of halogen bulbs is being phased out this year and replacement bulbs will become difficult to buy.  Lazada currently sells a variety of halogen bulbs.

Thanks for your post, since I was hoping someone would actually come along and address the gist of the OP's question... being the differences between and how to choose between buying/using an air fryer vs. a halogen oven.

Can you offer an elaboration on how the cooked food emerges from the air fryer vs the halogen oven? And whether one or the other is better for cooking certain types of foods?

My wife wants to get one (something) for our home to assist with her latest home cooking efforts. But I think it's going to be up to me to decide just what that something ought to be...

We already have a good microwave oven and slow cooker units at home. So I think she's looking at wanting to cook things like salmon steaks and fresh veggies without frying in oil or heating up the whole house via stovetop steaming.

PS - I had no idea the manufacture of halogen bulbs is being phased out,  so that for me also becomes a consideration as well!

On 8/14/2024 at 10:01 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I have done a one-man Pizza with a thick slice of bread in the air fryer, it turned out ok.

You could cook a small joint in the air fryer, wrap it in foil and let it rest for 20 minutes whilst you do the fries.

I got my crockpot in BigC about 15 years ago, the side handles have long since degraded.  I got the largest and I batch cook then freeze. It’s so easy to cook, load it and come back 5 hours later.

You can get new Side Handles from Lazada.

On 8/14/2024 at 10:01 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I have done a one-man Pizza with a thick slice of bread in the air fryer, it turned out ok.

You could cook a small joint in the air fryer, wrap it in foil and let it rest for 20 minutes whilst you do the fries.

I got my crockpot in BigC about 15 years ago, the side handles have long since degraded.  I got the largest and I batch cook then freeze. It’s so easy to cook, load it and come back 5 hours later.

You can get new Side Handles from Lazada.