Air Fryer vs Halogen cooker

KannikaP

An interesting explainer here on the differences between halogen ovens and air fryers... and the author definitely comes down on one side in terms of which cooks food more quickly and, to the author's taste, produces better food results.

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/kitchen/halogen-oven-vs-air-fryer

PS - this was one of the first search results that popped up in Google when I did a search on comparing the two types.

• Thanks 1

If you think about it, having one of whatever you cook with doesn’t make sense.

You wouldn’t buy a kitchen hob with one burner.

If you’re wanting to do something like Chicken & Chips then you need 2 air fryers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

An interesting explainer here on the differences between halogen ovens and air fryers... and the author definitely comes down on one side in terms of which cooks food more quickly and, to the author's taste, produces better food results.

PS - this was one of the first search results that popped up in Google when I did a search on comparing the two types.

Do they even sell halogens here/TH or anywhere, any more.  Mine, Otto type brand, glass bowled air fryer have always been a steel heating element & fan.   And perform identical to the other, smaller, common air fryer.

Advantage to the glass Otto type, you can see the food, and much larger.   A disadvantage if counter space & electric bill is  concern.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So 22 minutes for chips?

If on their own a little less. I like hand cut chips from potatoes, slight coating in oil, 18 mins 200⁰, check if ok if not do more, finish. Loads of salt and vinegar away you go

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you’re wanting to do something like Chicken & Chips then you need 2 air fryers.

funny enough i have 1 hob....works ok, hard to juggle sometimes, plus microwave. Chicken drumsticks and chips is perfect in one airfryer 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

o I think she's looking at wanting to cook things like salmon steaks

Just poached two salmon steaks, Bht 135 from Makro, in a small amount of milk, a veggie stock cube, S & P. 6 minutes. Possibly the nicest I have ever tasted.

Accompanied by a (large) glass of white wine produced from Nuboon's grape juice, half a sachet of 1118 yeast, 1 week primary and 3 weeks secondary fermentations. Bht 80 a bottle. Perfect.

Edited by KannikaP

35 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Just poached two salmon steaks, Bht 135 from Makro, in a small amount of milk, a veggie stock cube, S & P. 6 minutes. Possibly the nicest I have ever tasted.

I prefer my salmon steaks baked in the oven, which gives them a firmer and crispier exterior without having to pan fry them... And usually topping those with EV olive oil or some avocado salsa I import from the U.S.

But if I was going to cook them for eating cold, such as flaked in a salad, ya, poaching would be my way to go...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I have no idea what kind of temp you'd use in an air fryer for something like fresh broccoli florets.

Roast broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, beets,  onions, red & green peppers and many other veggies roast very nicely in both air fryer and halogen. First, I toss them in a little oil so they are lightly coated.  I've tried the oil sprays but don't like them.  Again, the secret to roasting but not burning is distance to the heat source, in this case, as far away as possible. If a larger amount that half fills the container, I'll lower the temperature setting and toss a bit from time to time.. If the broccoli has heavy stems, I sometimes microwave if for a few minutes prior to the AF.  Garlic cloves also roast nicely

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NowNow said:

The halogen bulb going on and off is an annoyance

There are some models of halogen oven in both BigC and Lotus's with a stainless steel bowl rather than glass, thus no light pollution. Also much lighter and easy to handle.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So what would you recommend as a minimum optimal size to get in terms of Liters capacity?

Mine is 3.4 quart (3.1Liter), which I think is about right for one or two people.  It's probably the most standard size.  Any bigger and it takes up too much counter space.  It's one of those cylindrical ones.  Not to be confused with the square toaster ovens with a small fan on the side (convection oven) that some are posting pictures of here.  I have one of those too and it's not the same thing.  It needs to have a really big fan that moves lots of air directly over the top of the food to be a true air fryer imo.  There are some toaster ovens with really big fans on top that probably both jobs ok, but they take up lots of counter space.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No one has suggested you buy a Halogen oven. But you don't seem to be able to remove Halogen from your brain.

Secondly I roast potatoes very often and the times suggested in the article are really just nonsense. Thirdly, The article is ridiculously biased in the way they used a single Halogen oven, but three different air fryers, with one six times the cost of the oven. Fourthly, we are not in the UK with UK electricity prices. Fifthly, there is no need to preheat the oven, the get to temperature very quickly. I can often smell a croissant warming up seconds after placing it in the oven.

Either way, it's your money that you are spending. I've been using these ovens long before the air fryer fashion fever.

Edited by stats
flame comment removed

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Oh yes they are.

they are even cheaper now they’re in the sale

IMG_1579.png

I would need to look inside to see where the fan is and how big,  but that doesn't look like a true air fryer to me.  Probably just a convection oven.  The difference is the fan is smaller and on the side.  I have one of those too and it doesn't cook food the same.  It needs to have a big fan blown lots of hot air directly down on the food.  Also needs to be designed to circulate it through and around the food, so should come with trays that have vents in them.  A small fan circulating the air doesn't cook food the same way.

There are some toaster ovens that are also true air fryers.  They are much taller than a standard toaster oven to accommodate the big fan on top.  I've never tried cooking with them so I can't compare to the typical cylindrical air fryers that are designed just for that.

Edited by shdmn

On 8/14/2024 at 9:14 AM, KannikaP said:

My massive oven has given up, so I am thinking about these two alternatives.

Let's say you want to cook some meat and fries for three people, me, the Mrs and the kid.

The problem I see with them is that you can only do one part of the meal at once, having to keep say the meat warm until the fries are done, unless you get one of the expensive Ninja jobbies with a partition in the basket.

The halogen ones on Lazada/Shopee are marginally cheaper, but not that it matters if I get good results.

Anyone got either of these two, and your recommendations please.

The third option will be to buy a new oven.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

There are some models of halogen oven in both BigC and Lotus's with a stainless steel bowl rather than glass, thus no light pollution. Also much lighter and easy to handle.

Or just buy one without a halogen bulb in the first place. I don't know how many times I need to write the same thing...

6 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

My air fryer has 100% replaced my frying pan.  So it's pretty versatile.    I just cook for myself though, and almost always just one thing at a time.  Some things you obviously can't do, like anything liquidy or saute, but I also have an Instapot pressure cooker which does all that.  With those two appliances you can make just about anything.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Halogen oven but with metal element every time., (the Halogen element tends to burn out).
A bit slower than an Air Fryer but larger, more control and you can watch the cooking,
I managed a Christmas Dinner for three with mine.