Lift plummets from 32nd to 15th floor in Bangkok condo (video)

webfact

It's a well known fact that if you press the lift buttons in the Fibonacci Sequence, it changes the Universal Gravitational Constant...then you float to the ground.

If you don't believe me, try it

Edited by GanDoonToonPet

1 hour ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

I think you mean according to Newton. Falling 17 floors, assuming 5m per floor, would give t = 3s

If you want to invoke Einstein, she didn't actually move 😀 

An object falling in a vacuum is 'apparently' weightless (rather than actually weightless) since there is no force applied opposing the fall. 

16 minutes ago, USNret said:

Yeah, you should call that as you are plunging to your doom.

I couldn't get my phone out of my zippered pants pocket before hitting bottom while falling from the 26th floor!

1 minute ago, radiochaser said:

I couldn't get my phone out of my zippered pants pocket before hitting bottom while falling from the 26th floor!

Chances are it would soaked and not working anyway

1 hour ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

I think you mean according to Newton. Falling 17 floors, assuming 5m per floor, would give t = 3s

If you want to invoke Einstein, she didn't actually move 😀 

But, judging from the smell their was a motion involved. 😀

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Have you checked the elevator maintenance/inspection certificate which should be usually posted in the elevator. This should be done annually.

More importantly has anyone actually seen elevator technicians from Mitsubishi or Schindler actually in your building?  In my old buklding I saw the guy from Mitsubishi several times a year.  In my new building I have never seen a technician from Schindler.  In my new buidling I take the elevator about 50% of the time. 

I'm pretty sure there's a back-up system on these lifts. For them both to fail same time must be a very rare event. Hope some-bodies checking the safety test certificate which covers an actual brake test.

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

it's amazing that when I read your post I think you old man and then I remember I am 50 years old.

Yes, amazing…!

In developed nations…50 is not old.

Are you Thai…?

As a lift engineer myself the safety systems ( In the Plural) would have come into play and there is No Way that this would have happened unless the safety equipment hadn’t been maintained for Years and IF that was the case then the lift would have should have gone UP as the Counterweight would have gone Down as it weighs at least one and a half times the maximum load of the lift… Unless All the steel cables snapped which is even more unlikely…

As a lift engineer myself the safety systems ( In the Plural) would have come into play and there is No Way that this would have happened unless the safety equipment hadn’t been maintained for Years and IF that was the case then the lift would have should have gone UP as the Counterweight would have gone Down as it weighs at least one and a half times the maximum load of the lift… Unless All the steel cables snapped which is even more unlikely…

5 hours ago, radiochaser said:

My condo has a  phone number posted on the wall in the elevator to call if there is a problem!  

Good Idea.

Our condo didn't have that and any suggestion of such a sign would be ignored.

Why? Because the lady who was the office manager (she didn't own or rent in the building) had no hesitation to tell all that ideas where her job, others should mind their own business. 

That came to a head and generated her instant dismissal at a later owners meeting.

5 hours ago, picctrainop said:

As a lift engineer myself the safety systems ( In the Plural) would have come into play

Right. I read an article A few months back on all the typical safety mechanisms. Reassuringly two of the safety mechanisms were not electronically dependant. 

In addition to the counterweight that you mentioned, the sheer air resistance in such a tight space would have dramatically slowed the lift down as it reached the ground and it would have just plopped to the bottom. Although terrifying almost certainly it would not be causing any injuries. In any event, there are typically giant springs at the bottom for the lift to bounce on.

When i reported in one condo I rented that the emergency stairs doors were locked, the girl came out of the office shrieking at me !! 
Very angry, I asked her who had the keys and she said no, no , no. I don’t think she knew. Next day we checked and they were open albeit quite rusty and creaking.

18 hours ago, Peabody said:

What's the fuss? Simply jump up right before the elevator hits the bottom of the shaft. Then you only fall for maybe 1 meter.  /s

Wonder if myth busters or someone has done a simulation. Always wondered if that would actually work. Of course the main concern of jumping to early or too late (tho probably couldn't jump or move if too late...)

"...she recounted how the lift unexpectedly dropped several floors." 17 seems like a larger quantity than "several" so did a little google:

"Generally speaking, several is used to refer to quantities above two or so but not so much that it's a lot or many. Perhaps the most common interpretation or intended sense of several is around three to five, but this can vary greatly depending on the context."

19 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Wonder if myth busters or someone has done a simulation. Always wondered if that would actually work. Of course the main concern of jumping to early or too late (tho probably couldn't jump or move if too late...)

"...she recounted how the lift unexpectedly dropped several floors." 17 seems like a larger quantity than "several" so did a little google:

"Generally speaking, several is used to refer to quantities above two or so but not so much that it's a lot or many. Perhaps the most common interpretation or intended sense of several is around three to five, but this can vary greatly depending on the context."

Lay flat, 

23 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

Sure and try flapping your arms like a bird to slow your descent.

It still amazes me, after almost 50 years on this planet, that people think that the lift will arrive faster if you press the button more frequently; maybe it's conditioned reflex, like a rat in a cage.

If only people could think logically as they hurtle toward the ground in freefall when they think they're about to die. Why didn't I think of that?

The trick is to jump up in the air 1 second before the lift hits the gound!