JD Vance is one of the least popular vice-presidential picks this century

57 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

That is an awfully long diatribe to paper over the fact that Walz quit in the middle of his enlistment contract once he learned that his unit would be going overseas. And lied about his service after he quit. Lied repeatedly. Let others lie for him and didnt correct them.   My father used to say that some people like to throw a lot of <deleted> against the wall until some of it sticks.  

Keep throwing, my friend. 

I don't know you, so I cannot be your friend, or enemy. Pleas don't address as such, in an attempt to endear yourself to me.

I don't think as a sergeant in the National Guard he had an inside knowledge of CentCom's strategies.

He quit during his second enlistment contract. Hamel managed one and then notably, despite beign a fit young man, purposely did not transfer to the Marine Reserve, prefering instead to pursue a career in finance.

I can see why you wouldn't support Walz because of that, but why does that translate into a compunction to support the other bloke. In an election you can spoil your ballot and vote for none of them. You are citing Hamel's 6 months photographing birthday cakes and a positive for why you would support him. Seems a bit shallow. Maybe you like his support on using fetal stem cells in drug research. Not sure where he's going to get those stem cells mind, maybe from non-Americans.

Are you sure that Hamel/Vance hasn't embellished or lied about his military career? That seems a pretty big deal to you.

Hamel/Vance served 4 years, leaving the service as an E-4, or in other parlance, a Corporal. In the marines, you make E-4 after about a year. Of course, not all do, they don't possess the intellect. Hamel clearly has above average intellect; in a Public Affairs role in the USMC, he should have thrived. Instead, his promotion record was mediocre, spending 2.5-3 years at E-4. Is that why he left and pointedly turned his back on his brothers (by not going to the Reserves).  No meritous promotion.

Walz's last deployment was to Italy during OEF, where his role was as a battlefield replacement; spending time in Italy, maintaining an operational readiness in the expectation he would be called to join what presumably would be an utter disaster (battlefield replacements are backstops to reinforce units that have suffered significant combat losses to the extent of combat ineffectiveness). He wasn't needed. Later, maybe he had an inkling his NG unit would be deployed to Iraq, though given he had a hearing problem (when he originally signed a second enlistment, the army rejected him due to hearing loss, and he appealed to a medical board), I doubt he would have actually been deployed, at that stage, when the expectation was it would be a complete walkover and Mission Accomplished.

When Hamel left the Marines in 2007, there was no doubt, the Reserves were being deployed. His first role was as a Rifleman. He knew, with certainty, that if he transferred to the Marine Reserve, he would have been deployed. In 2007, Marine Reservists were being sent to Anbar Province, the most bloody province in Iraq at that time. 60% of US troops deployed to Iraq were Reservists and National Guardsmen. A mate of mine has completed 23 years in the US army reserves. In all that time, he has spend about 4 years not deployed. He didn't mind it, though the last deployment he found brutal, even in a command role.

Vance didn't extend his enlistment for the same reason as Walz; ultimately, he didn't want another deployment. Walz left basically because he had a young family, and family comes before everything. Many soldiers have taken the same decision. You say he lied about it. Well maybe about what technical rank he had got to (though I note the Minnesota NG say it was all ok). Point of detail; retired commissioned officers are allowed to "promote" themselves in retirement. A Captain can present himself as Major (rtd) if his wants. Called tradition.

Hamel at the time was young and single. Yeah, he didn't want to end up a cripple so chose not to re-enlist or chance it in the reserves. So on that basis, nothing wrong him deciding to cut his links to the USMC, including changing his name, so maybe no one would recognise him. But ultimately, because he didn't transfer to reserves and be sent to Iraq, then that meant someone else had to, someone without the security of a decent set of degrees.

Questions arise about why he was not promoted; was this a competance issue, which seems unlikely, or something. On the face of it, he was a mediocre marine.

But to both men; its important to recognise both were enlisted men, whereas most other politicians with military service tend to be officers, with less understanding of the "men" (and women). Hamel though needs to do an about face and stop being so anti expanding veteran health benefits. But maybe that also goes back to why he got out of the marines as fast as he could.

Edited by MicroB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, maesariang said:

You are the weird one discussing this stuff.

So why the obsession with tampons? This thread is about the man presently known as JD Vance (until he gets sick of that name). You switched to discuss an obsession about tampons for boys, concerning another fellow; I'm sure there is a thread for that, so you don't have to hijack threads to talk about tampons.

The thread is about "JD Vance", not Walz. Why did he tell the world about his grannie asking him if he wanted to give a <deleted>?

I actually think he made it up, about thinking he was a homosexual 8 year old, and that a lot of his life story is embellished, creating a character to engender sympathy, and votes (look his post university career; its very focused on entering politics).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

https://www.mediaite.com/news/jd-vances-ex-classmate-reveals-shocking-texts-from-trump-vp-pick-on-race-hating-cops-trump/

“I hate the police. Given the number of negative experiences I’ve had in the past few years, I can’t imagine what a black guy goes through,” Vance wrote.

Now people's opinions change over the years, and I don't really care if people "hate" the police or love the police.

A 31 year old man was complaining to a friend that he had a number of negative experiences with the police  in "the past few years", so maybe over the previous 3 years or so. Some have suggested these negative experiences were race related; his contacts were because of the police picking on his Indian-American fiance who he had met in 2011. Possibly, but such an experience would remain as negative, rather than suddenly thinking, "yeah the cops had a point stopping us because my wife looked like a muslim terrorist, so you can't take any chances".

Or maybe something else. I've only had one experience with the police, which was I suppose negative, in that I was interviewed under caution, but understandable given the circumstances at the time.

Edited by MicroB
  • Like 1

The guy has zero people skills, which is not a crime, but it is pretty important for someone seeking to build a career in elected office, and yeah, some have won elections without it.  Aside from being on the stump and addressing crowds, having the ability to reach people should reveal itself in 1-on-1 situations.  Trying my best to keep this bi-partisan and objective, some of you younglings might be unfamiliar with a few of the names.  This is not about who is best-suited or what their political records are. 

Some people have it, and they know it: Bill Clinton, Reagan, JFK, Obama, with a maybe for Newsom. 

With some it takes effort, and they can make it work, sometimes: W, Kerry, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, honorable mention to Ross Perot.

There's those who don't have it, like Cheney (at least he understood that about himself), Nixon (after being routed by JFK in 1960 he understood), Pence, Jeb, Dukakis, HW, Gerry Ford, Dole.

And then there are those who can sometimes make it work, but it comes out as contrived and manipulative, like a car salesman: Hillary, DT,  Rubio, Sununu, Mitt Romney.

Special category for the bullying personality, which succeeds on occasion: McCain, Nixon, Hillary; DT is the historic front runner here, so far, mixing his bullying with insult humor and the slimy manipulative lessons he learned in the NYC real estate jungle.

But back to the man named in the heading.  Check out the vid of JD in the donut shop that came out in the past few days; ok, so it wasn't as bad as the yoghurt shop incident in the fictitious series Veep.  Contrast that with a current vid of Walz going to a fast-food place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

That is an awfully long diatribe to paper over the fact that Walz quit in the middle of his enlistment contract once he learned that his unit would be going overseas. And lied about his service after he quit. Lied repeatedly. Let others lie for him and didnt correct them.   My father used to say that some people like to throw a lot of <deleted> against the wall until some of it sticks.  

Keep throwing, my friend. 

Walz had to submit a request in order to leave the National Guard did he not?

This had to be submitted to someone above him in the chain of command no doubt.

Had his separation from the Guard been inappropriate they would have refused his application.

Now a number of axe-grinders are coming forward to criticize him, but his leaving the Guard was approved by those in the Guard in a position to know something.

Those above him in the chain of command.

Neither my daddy nor my grandaddy influenced my position on this.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

One who served his country, went to Iraq with his unit, and completed his enlistment.  And one who didn't. 

One with private sector experience and one who is a lifelong "nose in the government trough" guy. 

I Know which I would choose.

Trump took a fradulent deferment and called people who joint the army suckers.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

To be popular in the USA?

Is this necessarily a GOOD THING?

For a politician creating and implementing policies, i agree with you. Sometimes you have to make necessary but unpopular decisions.

But for a politician trying to get elected, popularity is required.

21 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

One who served his country, went to Iraq with his unit, and completed his enlistment.  And one who didn't. 

One with private sector experience and one who is a lifelong "nose in the government trough" guy. 

I Know which I would choose.

But you can't choose, being a Canadian.

What's your take on Trump dodging the draft?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Harris dodged the draft

What are your thoughts on Harris dodging policies, interviews and debates? What a coward she is. No wonder nobody likes her.

Edited by maesariang

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

For a politician creating and implementing policies, i agree with you. Sometimes you have to make necessary but unpopular decisions.

But for a politician trying to get elected, popularity is required.

Harris is not liked. Just Democrats and biased press pushing her cart.

Removed a post (and responses) with allegations that others were paid to post. If you have any actual evidence please forward it to support. 

Some troll posts have been removed.

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

He did what a lot of young men who were in the same situation did. Student deferments and then a final medical. Can't say as I blame any of them for avoiding that terrible, misbegotten conflict.

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

He did what a lot of young men who were in the same situation did. Student deferments and then a final medical. Can't say as I blame any of them for avoiding that terrible, misbegotten conflict.

Tim Walz did what many men do: after 24 years in the National Guard, he got a better opportunity, and retired.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I opposed the war, but I didn't dodge the draft.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think a lot of Republicans are seeing that Trump and Vance are not up to the job of winning new votes so they are now saying - it's not about them - it's about our policies. Dan Crenshaw on Bill Maher. Lindsay Graham on Meet the Press. Distance themselves from them - almost implore Trump in particular but Vance too to stay on message. The Trump schtick is so old now and looks silly against Kamala.

The Republican policies often suck too but you can always find a statistic to make a case. 

Trump is too far gone to make a case for Republican policies.

All he has left are insults.

I suspect some Trumpers here will disappear before the election.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Trump is too far gone to make a case for Republican policies.

All he has left are insults.

I suspect some Trumpers here will disappear before the election.

Trump is doing fine. You flew to Cambodia to talk Trump. Rent free 24/7.

Edited by maesariang