Looking to buy a new SUV - any recommendations?

7 minutes ago, fezza said:

Morning All.

I'm moving back to Thailand with the family (and the dog!) in a couple of months time.  I'm looking to buy a new SUV in Bangkok when I arrive and drive it down to Phuket (with the dog/cage, 6 suitcases, 2 kids)

I'm looking for something comfortable as we often do road trips around Thailand.  My budget is around 2 million.  My first consideration is a Fortuner GR Sport 4WD.

In the past I've owned a Mitsubishi Triton, Ford Everest and a CX-5 Turbo here in Thailand.  All great cars.  

I can buy the car on a tourist visa, if I remember correctly, I'd just need a certificate of resident from immigration?  Unless things have changed?

I'm also hoping it would be possible to pre-arrange the car with the dealer from abroad (paying a deposit) then when I arrive, pay the final amount and drive away with the car.

Thanks in advance,
Fezza.

Currently have the CX5 as you did, all wheel drive, turbo.....few little niggles on the electrics, but otherwise well impressed.

I'd be loathe to take a chance on something else now.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Currently have the CX5 as you did, all wheel drive, turbo.....few little niggles on the electrics, but otherwise well impressed.

I'd be loathe to take a chance on something else now.

It was a great car for Thailand.  I put a cone filter on it and an AP Racing brake kit (from Malaysia)  - It was pretty quick!
I'd go for the same car again, I just need something a bit bigger.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Have to agree with the above from JB.   I personally would only be looking at BEVs.  

With a 2M baht budget, got some very nice options.  And more hitting the market every month.   Would suggest you lease one for a few days if no experience with, before dishing out baht on old tech machines that cost a lot to operate & maintain.

I was looking at the Honda CR-V e-HEV RS 4WD.

Any other suggestions?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Have to agree with the above from JB.   I personally would only be looking at BEVs.  

With a 2M baht budget, got some very nice options.  And more hitting the market every month.   Would suggest you lease one for a few days if no experience with, before dishing out baht on old tech machines that cost a lot to operate & maintain.

Scratch that post, and edited it out already to emoji

11 minutes ago, fezza said:

No, definitely don't want an EV.  

So Ford Everest or Mitsubishi Pajero?

From you post earlier, if you want performance, take a peek at the Haval H6, best of both worlds.  

image.png.a4adbdbe26f1aeff3abb7b5878a204a1.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Scratch that post, and edited it out already to emoji

From you post earlier, if you want performance, take a peek at the Haval H6, best of both worlds.  

The Haval H6 is capable of generating a horsepower of 151 - 240 HP and a torque of 233 - 530 Nm with a top speed of 180 - 220 KM/H

Thanks but definitely not interested in any makes like Haval, MG, etc.  Nor am I bothered about performance.  
Just want something very comfortable to drive and Japanese.
I'd love a German car here, but can't afford it.   I have a '20 Cayenne S here in the UK with Air-Suspension.  It's a dream to drive.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

The Op has already stated he doesn't want an EV 

and if you watch Phuket News he most likely to be correct in his thinking

Everyday there reports of flooding in different districts in Phuket

My understanding is there is only 5 charging stations for the whole of Phuket according to chargemap

I know EV sales are slighty down for the 6 months of this year February to July 2024 compared to the same period  in 2023 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

My understanding is there is only 5 charging stations for the whole of Phuket according to chargemap

I know EV sales are slighty down for the 6 months of this year February to July 2024 compared to the same period  in 2023 

Saw that, typing at the same time.  He's a bit faster than me.

5 charging stations for all of Phuket :cheesy:   He will be living there, and can plug in at home, imagine that.

@fezza

On Phuket a few times since owning the ZS, not problem charging.   And if he gets the Haval H6 .... he'll definitely be happy

image.png.72bdbd1e21f8a1f398542f440016ac70.png

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

5 charging stations for all of Phuket :cheesy:   He will be living there, and can plug in at home, imagine that.

@fezza

On Phuket a few times since owning the ZS, not problem charging.   And if he gets the Haval H6 .... he'll definitely be happy

I'd be more happy with the Everest, now I know it comes with a 3.0 V6 engine.  🙂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, fezza said:

Thanks but definitely not interested in any makes like Haval, MG, etc.  Nor am I bothered about performance.  
I'd love a German car here, but can't afford it.   I have a '20 Cayenne S here in the UK with Air-Suspension.  It's a dream to drive.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

@fezza

image.png.72bdbd1e21f8a1f398542f440016ac70.png

Notiiced that you ignored the post where the op stated he doesn't want a MG or Haval 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Notiiced that you ignored the post where the op stated he doesn't want a MG or Haval 

Didn't see it, or I wouldn't have wasted my time.   Usually don't respond to the closed minded members.

You need better apps for better info ...

Untitled.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, fezza said:

No, definitely don't want an EV.  

So Ford Everest or Mitsubishi Pajero?

The Everest drives like a BMW

29 minutes ago, fezza said:

I sold a Taycan Turbo here last year. Superb car but not great value for money.

28 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

You're being very selective with your facts.  It's also true to say that .....

The EV share of new vehicles has increased every month in the last 6 months, and,

The ICE share of new vehicles has decreased every month in the last 6 months.

All the evidence suggests that Thailand is moving over to EV's.

I know the OP doesn't want an EV and I'm sure he has his reasons, but let's be transparent with our facts.

I do drive an EV, I charge at home and for people like me who do, the nearest charging station I would need would be 300km away.  If I lived in Phuket I would never need a charging station on the island.  It's not like petrol stations, we don't need them near our homes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Pajero if you want all them cases , kids and cage in the car. Although I would save money and buy a fairly new used one from a mitsubishi dealer as new model is due in next couple of years.

13 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The EV share of new vehicles has increased every month in the last 6 months, and,

I know the OP doesn't want an EV and I'm sure he has his reasons, but let's be transparent with our facts.

I do drive an EV, I charge at home and for people like me who do, the nearest charging station I would need would be 300km away.  If I lived in Phuket I would never need a charging station on the island.  It's not like petrol stations, we don't need them near our homes.

Here are 2023 EV registrations figures from Autolife

From February 1st 2023 to 31st July 2023 33.844 EV's were registered 

From February 1st 2024 to 31st July 2024  29,758 EV's were registered

Overall EV's registrations for the period 2024 are down 4,086 compared to the same time period for 2023

https://autolifethailand.tv/total-ev-bev-register-2023-thailand/

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-register-july-2024-thailand/

• Confused 1

Just now, vinny41 said:

Here are 2023 EV registrations figures from Autolife

From February 1st 2023 to 31st July 2023 33.844 EV's were registered 

From February 1st 2024 to 31st July 2024  29,758 EV's were registered

Overall EV's registrations for the period 2024 are down 4,086 compared to the same time period for 2023

https://autolifethailand.tv/total-ev-bev-register-2023-thailand/

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-register-july-2024-thailand/

Selective facts again.

The whole automotive market has collapsed.  ALL sales are down this year.

EV's are the shining beacon in the few sales out there.  Their market share grows every month, whereas the ICE market share decreases every month.

The only possible conclusion, buyers are turning away from ICE and buying EV's.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Can I ask what EV you drive?

To be fair, an EV would be perfect for short trips around Phuket.  My villa will have a high-end solar system, so charging the car will be very cheap.  

However we will also do lots of drives from Phuket to Bangkok and up to Petchabun, so really prefer petrol or diesel, or even a hybrid (Hence looking at the cr-v)

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Selective facts again.

The whole automotive market has collapsed.  ALL sales are down this year.

EV's are the shining beacon in the few sales out there.  Their market share grows every month, whereas the ICE market share decreases every month.

The only possible conclusion, buyers are turning away from ICE and buying EV's.

Before EV's existed ICE had 100% market share so when a new kid comes on the block 

its natural that ICE will lose some of its %  market share to EV's

Similar to VHS and Betamax before betamax VHS had 100% market share 

In 1984 Betamax sales Peaked 

Sales of Betamax videocassettes reached their peak in 1984, when Sony shipped 50 million units, according to the company. Soon after they became obsolete, living fossils.

https://fortune.com/2015/11/10/betamax-sony-kill/

Betamax recorders continued to be manufactured and sold until August 2002, when Sony announced that they were discontinuing production of all remaining Betamax models. Sony continued to sell blank Betamax cassettes until March 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

• Confused 1

The Ford is (I think) on a pretty new platform, and while I have not driven one, the are gtood looking.

You should drive the MuX, good value on a recent platform with a brand new facelift, and very economical, including service. And dealers everywhere, I've has four Isuzus and they were all great.  

I like the PJS, but the the third gen at (I think) ten years old is a bit long in the tooth, I would not buy a new one. 

I am currently driving a Fortuner, but (like the PJS) the second gen is ten years old and for that reason, I would not buy a new one. 

Why do you want four-wheel drive? 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

The Ford is (I think) on a pretty new platform, and while I have not driven one, the are gtood looking.

You should drive the MuX, good value on a recent platform with a brand new facelift, and very economical, including service. And dealers everywhere, I've has four Isuzus and they were all great.  

I like the PJS, but the the third gen at (I think) ten years old is a bit long in the tooth, I would not buy a new one. 

I am currently driving a Fortuner, but (like the PJS) the second gen is ten years old and for that reason, I would not buy a new one. 

I'm looking at the Everest Sport.  I think it's the best looking out of them all.  The platinum looks awful.

4WD?  I prefer all wheels driving for traction and stability.  Especially in the wet, with slippy roads here.

10 minutes ago, fezza said:

Can I ask what EV you drive?

To be fair, an EV would be perfect for short trips around Phuket.  My villa will have a high-end solar system, so charging the car will be very cheap.  

However we will also do lots of drives from Phuket to Bangkok and up to Petchabun, so really prefer petrol or diesel, or even a hybrid (Hence looking at the cr-v)

I drive a BYD Seal Performance AWD.  It's 95% of the fun of the Porsche with 530hp and almost as fast (0-100 in 3.8 seconds) and I think they are 1.6M THB.   I love it.  Test drive one and see what you think.  There are lots of us on this forum that drive Seals.

I have driven as far as Kamphaeng Phet which involves one stop for 20 minutes to top up whilst I pee and caffeinate.

It costs about 330 baht to fill the battery from PEA for a range of 580km, realistically 450km if you welly it, which I do.

I have solar so it costs me nothing to fill it up.

The BYD SeaLion is coming in the next couple of months, PHEV and priced agressively.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Someone here suggests that the Ford Everest drives like a BMW, when you then cite MuX, which I own myself, I regret to confess that it does not compare to that at all.
Personally, I would never buy this Isuzu again.
Don't know about Ford but the Izuzu MuX is built on the same chassis as the pick-up, the automatic transmission does not shift softly at all, it is and always will be a truck.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, fezza said:

I'm looking at the Everest Sport.  I think it's the best looking out of them all.  The platinum looks awful.

4WD?  I prefer all wheels driving for traction and stability.  Especially in the wet, with slippy roads here.

I think the Sport is 2L, 2WD. 

I think I would have to see them all on the hoof to decide which one looked best. I saw a Platinum the other day in grey and thought it looked good. 

Motor sale/show at the BITEC 23 August, 23 to September 1 if you're in town. 

17 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Before EV's existed ICE had 100% market share so when a new kid comes on the block 

its natural that ICE will lose some of its %  market share to EV's

Similar to VHS and Betamax before betamax VHS had 100% market share 

In 1984 Betamax sales Peaked 

Sales of Betamax videocassettes reached their peak in 1984, when Sony shipped 50 million units, according to the company. Soon after they became obsolete, living fossils.

https://fortune.com/2015/11/10/betamax-sony-kill/

Betamax recorders continued to be manufactured and sold until August 2002, when Sony announced that they were discontinuing production of all remaining Betamax models. Sony continued to sell blank Betamax cassettes until March 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

I don't mind you quoting statistics, but I object when your intent is to mislead.

You are trying to make it look like people are turning away from EV's by comparing their sales in the year of a crash to their sales last year.

It's not right to suggest to forum members that EV sales are collapsing inferring that people are not buying them when the truth of the matter is every month their market share increases and every month the market share of legacy cars decreases.  For the last 6 months running EV adoption is an upward sloping graph.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, fezza said:

I can buy the car on a tourist visa, if I remember correctly, I'd just need a certificate of resident from immigration?  Unless things have changed?

All very true, however you will not be able to get a certificate of residency from Immigration in Bangkok when on a tourist visa.