Looking to buy a new SUV - any recommendations?

7 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

The OP already stated he did not want a EV and yet the same 2 or 3  posters drone on about them.

Try to start a topic like I did a while ago stating I wanted a nice v6 or v8 non EV car and they kept going on about how comfy and quiet their <deleted>e Ev is.

I get it you love to sit and wait to charge your vehicle in the middle of nowhere but not everyone does.

And yes I have driven a EV which is exactly why I don't wish to own one.

It was quick but had no actual feeling and was so quiet I might as well have been on a quick train.

Bit like cooking a steak in a microwave.

Yes it will cook quicker but sometimes that's not what you want.

Please in the future if someone states they do not want an EV then do not keep going o about your battery powered rocket.

Not everyone likes them.

He may be leaning toward a hybrid, though more research, and you never know :coffee1:

7 hours ago, fezza said:

Can I ask what EV you drive? ... To be fair, an EV would be perfect for short trips around Phuket.  My villa will have a high-end solar system, so charging the car will be very cheap.  .... However we will also do lots of drives from Phuket to Bangkok and up to Petchabun, so really prefer petrol or diesel, or even a hybrid (Hence looking at the cr-v)

👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I hope he tests drives an EV with a long range, it would be ideal for his stated journey types.  We have an ICE car here too, but I would always choose to take the EV on a long trip.

It depends on the ice car

If I had a 2006 Mitsuhishi Mirage or a Tesla than I would definitely take the Tesla .

If it was a decent car like a high end ice  BMW or Mercedes then no matter what Ev I had it would be sat at home (charging probably)

• Sad 4

I bought 2011 a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and today, around 200k km later this SUV seems to be unbreakable. Has never a Problem! Its the most confortable Car I ever had.

Edited by ujayujay
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, newnative said:

Mazda CX-8 might fit your needs--we sat in one and were impressed by how nice it was inside.  Spouse and I just booked a new BYD Sealion 6 SUV, a plug-in hybrid, which we were looking for.  Beautiful car, comfortable, and very nicely-equipped for a very reasonable price, less than 1MB.  But, Chinese and maybe a bit small for your needs. 

We wanted to buy another CR-V but were underwhelmed by it's supposedly 'new' but, in our opinion, very dated styling--should have been the 2020 model, not 2024.  And, no PHEV.   Plus, very pricey for the top model.  Good luck with your search.

BYD is an all electric company, their engines are quite new, further they dont have much experience with ICE cars.

So Sealion PHEV is a wait and watch car

Edited by DrJoy
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

I am looking in to buying an SUV when I finally sell my house in BKK. My shortlist is Ford Everest (not worried about resale), and Toyota Fortuner (not sure between Leader and Legender). I like that the specs for Ford are the same as in the west, unlike Toyota whose specs are much lower than in Europe for the same model.   

Legender is not a car, its a styling kit, However, they have 2 engine options - 2400 cc and 2800 cc

All Fortuner models have old style manual hand brake which is quite outdated.

If it doesn't bother you, just buy any Fortuner that suits your budget.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

BYD is an all electric company, their engines are quite new, further they dont have much experience with ICE card.

So Sealion PHEV is a wait and watch car

I'm 72.  I'm not in waiting mode.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Since the 90's that has been Mercedes approach too, with some of the models, you can't really tell the C, E or S class apart. It's been down to little things like how many stripes in the head & tail lights.

You aren't mentioning that each month the percentage of people buying an ICE car decreases, because they are losing market share to EV's.  It's all about trends. 

I hope he tests drives an EV with a long range, it would be ideal for his stated journey types.  We have an ICE car here too, but I would always choose to take the EV on a long trip.

As ICE vehicles had 100% market share before EV it's expected that ICE vehicles will lose a % of market share as once you have 100% market share you can only decrease your market share as its impossible to increase market share if you have 100% share of the market

if you read the EV  facebook group pages the same question always comes up during major public holidays in Thailand from owners that have both ICE and EV's and that question is should I take my ICE or my EV for a long trip and the answer is for long trips take during major holidays take the ICE not everyone has a Byd seal that has a decent range large number of EV's have nearly 50% of the range of a Byd seal premium 

going on a long trip and its a choice between  Byd seal premium and MG EP Plus its a no brainer Byd seal wins hands down

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

It's a 3,2 l Diesel and the gear box got problems. Be careful😳

The 3.2 was an inline 5cyl and has not been sold here for a few years now.

What gearbox issues does the 3.0 V6 have ?

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

going on a long trip and its a choice between  Byd seal premium and MG EP Plus its a no brainer Byd seal wins hands down

The MG EP and our ZS have the same specs, almost, and we get 3-4 hrs on Thai roads before the need to top up.   Surely after 3 - 4 hours on the road, or sooner, you are going to stop.   Simply charge when you do.

We've taken long trip, even during long weekends, and never a problem.  Owning a BEV has added little, if any, time to our journeys.

People that don't own EV, obviously don't realize that.

If you have the Seal, do you really won't to be on the road and not stop for 6-8 hrs, as if that is even possible with a wife and or kids in the car.   What world do you live in ?

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Thailand's new vehicle market has changed massively in the last 12 months.  Around 1 in 7 or 8 new cars today are EV's.

Thailand has a great charging infrastructure and you will save about 80% of refueling it.

If you do want a legacy vehicle, then I would highly recommend test driving first.  Fords and Mitsubishi drive much better than the Fortuner which is a noisy vibration box.

The  concern with EVs is range and the ability to charge it outside of  large urban  centers. I would be leery trying to drive an EV from Bangkok to Phuket. Are their charging facilities in the mid country?   I haven't seen any going from  Hua Hin to Chumphon and beyond.  Plus with all the rain and road flooding, maybe an EV isn't such a great idea

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The MG EP and our ZS have the same specs, almost, and we get 3-4 hrs on Thai roads before the need to top up.   Surely after 3 - 4 hours on the road, or sooner, you are going to stop.   Simply charge when you do.

We've taken long trip, even during long weekends, and never a problem.  Owning a BEV has added little, if any, time to our journeys.

People that don't own EV, obviously don't realize that.

If you have the Seal, do you really won't to be on the road and not stop for 6-8 hrs, as if that is even possible with a wife and or kids in the car.   What world do you live in ?

Here is a detailed chart of the different ranges EPA range and 75% and gives detail on what the 75% means in real life

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=365936039288149&set=a.176402778241477

In Both the EPA range ( light green) and the 75% range  (dark green ) the MG ZS EV peforms better than the MG EP Plus according to the chart

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

The 3.2 was an inline 5cyl and has not been sold here for a few years now.

What gearbox issues does the 3.0 V6 have ?

It's yet a 3,2 l engine with 6 cylinders. Petrol

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

The Fortuner is horrible, just a pick up truck with a lid and some seats. Nasty vehicle, and normally driven by nasty people - my personal opinion is that Fortuner drivers are the worst, most aggressive drivers on the road.

Don't prospective Fortuners drivers have to pass a special test to prove they are inconsiderate bas****s.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

It's yet a 3,2 l engine with 6 cylinders. Petrol

Everest has never been sold with a 3.2 6cyl petrol engine.

Middle east got a 2.3 4cyl petrol engine.

10 hours ago, newnative said:

I don't think that's quite true when you say 'nobody has range anxiety any more'.  My spouse and I certainly still do.  That is why we are going with a PHEV rather than an all-electric car as our next car.  We feel we are not ready for all-electric just yet.  

PHEV should suit us.  We can drive around town on just the electric, without using gas at all, and recharge at night.  When we take trips, we don't have to worry about running out of battery or not being able to find a charging station.   If for some reason we can't recharge, we have the gas backup.

I should have qualified my statement.  Nobody who has an EV has range anxiety anymore.  Thailand has a plethora of charging stations out there.

3 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The  concern with EVs is range and the ability to charge it outside of  large urban  centers. I would be leery trying to drive an EV from Bangkok to Phuket. Are their charging facilities in the mid country?   I haven't seen any going from  Hua Hin to Chumphon and beyond.  Plus with all the rain and road flooding, maybe an EV isn't such a great idea

There are thousands of charging stations out there.

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Here is a detailed chart of the different ranges EPA range and 75% and gives detail on what the 75% means in real life

In Both the EPA range ( light green) and the 75% range  (dark green ) the MG ZS EV peforms better than the MG EP Plus according to the chart

For a guy who has ZERO experience of EV's, you sure do have a mouth on you.  Do you believe everything you read?

The Seal Premium has a 650km range, driving like a loon you'll probably get 500km out of it.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Their chart is a bit off, and the EP has same size battery as the ZS.

#1. This is TH not the USA

#2. Really wouldn't trust anything the EPA says

image.png.4659dbc2f9eb70420df22f7bd6f0c8a0.png

Real life experience over corrupt govt agency.

UP2U... But I don't want to sit in a car for 3-4 hrs.  I try to avoid DVT, and like to eat once in awhile, stretch the legs, P at a toilet, not in a bottle while driving.   Actually enjoy the journey.

Notice the chart states the NETA V & MG ZS/EP are about the same, even though the MGs have about 25% more battery :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Digitalbanana said:

Who spends 2 million on a brand new car to take luggage/kids/dogs from BKK airport to Phuket?

I would if I had the money, why not..........:intheclub:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, fezza said:

My budget is around 2 million.  My first consideration is a Fortuner GR Sport 4WD.

Perfect consideration sir!

Why are so many idiots banging on about EV's when the OP has clearly stated many times that he is not interested in EV's!!

Edited by LennyW
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

Perfect consideration sir!

Why are so many idiots banging on about EV's when the OP has clearly stated many times that he is not interested in EV's!!

Might want to read back a few pages, as OP may be a bit more open minded than when first posted.

Hybrid crossed his mind already, and with further research, who knows :cheesy:

@fezza If he realizes more than enough CS between Phuket - Bangkok - Phetchabun (Khao Kho), it may even sway his decision more.   As I've driven those routes many times, and more than enough CS along the way, and actually the whole of TH. 

I've been to both Phuket & Phetchabun, and beyond, a few times since owning our EV.  Never a charging issue.  Real life experience over BS spewed by other non EV owners.  We live in Prachuap Khiri Khan, for reference.

image.png.c68a5fa475e4115390bfba160887b102.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Legender is not a car, its a styling kit, However, they have 2 engine options - 2400 cc and 2800 cc

All Fortuner models have old style manual hand brake which is quite outdated.

If it doesn't bother you, just buy any Fortuner that suits your budget.

I've only ever owned one car and that has a manual hand brake, so I have no experience with the more modern system. I just want something with more room and ground clearance than my Honda Jazz. The latter because now that I live upcountry I encounter more red-earth roads and potholes.