50,000 baht request from Thai long time friend.

How can you expect any coherent answer to such a question?

If he can (easily) afford to give her the money then he should think about if he will likely get the money back and if he does not get it back, is that a problem for him?

Personally, there are people who I would give that money. And others who I wouldn't give it to. It depends. And there is no easy formula. 

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I do have sympathy but, he and her brought it upon themselves, if it was my own/wife's family member then maybe I would . Had he married her legally at an Amphur then she would be entitled to his money.

Only any money in Thailand, and only with great difficulty when there is no will!  Or am I wrong? 

11 minutes ago, ronster said:

From what I have seen they organise all the wake and cremation etc and then after people attending at the home or temple before the cremation day usually contribute whatever they wish in an envelope.

This was held at her restaurant far away from where he was cremated, and the donation box was an old Leo box, where al his friends Visa customers attended. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

My Thai Mrs 'loaned' 150,000 baht to a Thai female friend who wasn't able to pay for her falang husbands funeral. He had drunk his savings and was living (or rather drinking) from day to day on his pension. His stomach and liver were destroyed. I don't know if the lady repaid her or not but the reason was genuine so I have sympathy.

150 k for a funeral I’ve been involved in 2friends funeral one at 15,000 baht and the other at 20,000  that was for everything monks , food , prayers candles cremation  pine box  flowers photo graph in frame 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Unamerican said:

Only any money in Thailand, and only with great difficulty when there is no will!  Or am I wrong? 

Wills don't really mean a lot in Thailand if you are legally married, as it will go for probate before the local family court takes up to 3months, their letter then can be used to take his funds out of a bank, unless of course you leave money to someone other than the wife. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

150 k for a funeral I’ve been involved in 2friends funeral one at 15,000 baht and the other at 20,000  that was for everything monks , food , prayers candles cremation  pine box  flowers photo graph in frame 

I agree 100% they normally work out at around 1k for everyone that attends, we paid 20k for 20 people who attended, a friend of mine's, it was just a white 'chipboard' coffin I think. I supplied the Photo and frame. + 500b to a friend with a small fishing boat to take his ashes out to sea. No big party anywhere else. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Unamerican said:

Yes only moneys in Thailand. As I just said but I will repeat it, it goes to the local family court for probate and with the letter from the court, take that to the bank and you can withdraw the money, ( this was told to me by the Krungsri bank in an email reply from them, when I asked if I could nominate my wife as beneficiary) ..  along with his/her passport, and bank book, will or no will. 

Also I don't think the family court charges are much, if any, even Thais have to do this TTBOMK. 

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Thai long time friend.

Funny how Bar English becomes normal in Thailand.

i would have used the term “old friend” or perhaps even “long term friend”. 

Where did they meet?

None of your/our business where they met, but I'd bet that it wasn't in a rub-and-tug massage parlour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Thai long time friend.

Funny how Bar English becomes normal in Thailand.

i would have used the term “old friend” or perhaps even “long term friend”. 

Where did they meet?

I thought you were English..the original term was/is correct.

"long term friend" is bad English.

And your tag line about where they met is cheesy..😒

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I think most of us agree that it would be a very risky loan, and if he were to decide to move forward it would have to be money that he could afford to lose. The other thing I would do in his situation is asked for collateral that is well in excess of the amount of the loan, she signs over a couple motorbikes to him, or gives him a few baht of gold, or something that he could easily cash out should she default. The terms should be very clearly spelled out beforehand, with a document that she signs. 

So he makes it a business like decision and not just a casual loan to a friend. 

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have loaned Thais money several times up to 100 k.  I have always gottten it back usually before the time we agreed upon.

I helped a nephew of my exwife 150.000 baht some years ago.This was for going to work in Taiwan.We agreed that he pay back on a 2 year period.Actually he paid all back in 8-9 months.

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

A 'friend' of mine has been asked to lend a 50k to a Thai lady who he has known for 18 yrs, Her Falang 'husband' only a temple wedding, has just died, he was no friend of my friend, in fact he disliked the guy for various reasons. She wants the money to pay back the cost of his ceremony, until the insurance pay out, this bloke has not left any money for her, and the icing on top of the cake is that he was a VISA AGENT ! with a contact at an IO that I won't mention, so making a living illegally here, I have told my 'Friend' absolutely no way buddy, friend or not do not lend her any money.

Do you agree with me ? what would you do ?

I would mind my own business and say "up to you".

51 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I agree 100% they normally work out at around 1k for everyone that attends, we paid 20k for 20 people who attended, a friend of mine's, it was just a white 'chipboard' coffin I think. I supplied the Photo and frame. + 500b to a friend with a small fishing boat to take his ashes out to sea. No big party anywhere else.

Don't know how you did it for that! Just curious, if you 'buried' his bone fragments at sea, (presumably one cremation urn full), where is the remainder of him? My Thai family were previously split three ways, now only two, with the remainder going into earthernware pots buried at strategic measured distance from our family column at our local temple.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Don't know how you did it for that! Just curious, if you 'buried' his bone fragments at sea, (presumably one cremation urn full), where is the remainder of him? My Thai family were previously split three ways, now only two, with the remainder going into earthernware pots buried at strategic measured distance from our family column at our local temple.

They don't 'bury' them at sea, they are put it a white cloth that is floated on the water, what are you on about the 'remainder'  the Temple is on a river, but you have to take them out of the estuary, otherwise they will come and go with the tide, my friend was a falang not Thai...............................................................................................:wacko:

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

By the way.  A coffin cost 500 to 1000 THB. 
The "ceremony" is a a donation to the monks who chant.
Then maybe 5000 to cover the cost of burning the body.

It can be done for under 10K. 

If the "husband" could not be bothered to provide for his "wife", why on earth should she splash out for his funeral?

Did the husband perhaps have a proper job back in his home country once upon a time. and up to now pay him a retirement pension? Whilst not legally married, she is a partner, and most employers pay partners similarly to widows.  Worth checking.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'd bet that it wasn't in a rub-and-tug massage parlour.

I wouldn’t be too sure about Lou.

Thousands do meet that way. 
Thai massage is famous around the world for happy endings. So,e say it is more famous than Thai food.