Foreign cyclist severely injured after being hit by Phuket Airport taxi

snoop1130

COVER-PIC-2024-08-20T132248.302.jpg

A foreign cyclist sustained a severe injury after being hit by an airport taxi while cycling along a road in Phuket.

The Phuket Times shared pictures of the injured foreign cyclist and his damaged bicycle on August 18, with a caption describing the incident.

“#PhuketRoad This incident occurred yesterday (August 18). Please avoid driving in the lanes designated for smaller vehicles. This foreign cyclist was struck by a car with a green registration plate (an airport taxi). The bicycle was damaged, and the foreign man was seriously injured. #WishYouSafe #BeCareful.”

In the photos, the injured foreigner is seen being transferred to a hospital with the assistance of a rescue team and medical workers. There was no update on his condition but other cyclists at the scene were reportedly unharmed.

The grey taxi, with a damaged wheel, was parked at the scene but the driver was not present. The car was identified as an airport taxi due to its green registration plate.

Many Thai netizens expressed their concerns over the foreigner’s condition and wished him a swift recovery. Others shared their negative experiences as cyclists in Phuket and recounted the poor behaviour of other airport taxi drivers they had encountered.

“Accidents have happened at this spot many times before. I guess those drivers expect us to cycle in the woods.”

“The most dangerous route in Phuket is from the Thao Thep Krasattri and Thao Si Sunthon Monument to Phuket International Airport. Taxis and minibuses from the airport are frequently found on this route near Ban Khian Health Promotion Centre.”

“Taxis with green registration plates are always speeding. This bicycle isn’t cheap, though. Don’t underestimate cyclists. The taxi driver will learn when he has to compensate the victim.”

“Every motorist in Phuket drives very dangerously.”

“Another car accident involving a green registration plate.”

“I don’t want to support those types of taxis. I still remember when Covid-19 hit and those taxi drivers had no work. They said they would never stay in the province again.”

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ Phuket Times ภูเก็ตไทม์

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-08-20

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

Surprised this doesn’t happen more often with all the groups of cyclists in Phuket.

Too many bad drivers, drivers on phones and drivers who can’t handle their booze on Phuket’s roads to be on a push bike.

I wonder if the cyclists were in a single file or hogging the road blocking traffic?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This bicycle isn’t cheap, though. Don’t underestimate cyclists. The taxi driver will learn when he has to compensate the victim.”

So he'll have to fork over an extra couple hundred for the durian fruit basket?

16 minutes ago, mania said:

Actually it is you that needs to open your eyes

Team Roojai is a pro Thai cycling team based in Thailand.  They are a UCI continental team. This is one of their riders. Yes they have some team members who may not have been born in Thailand but they know better than you what a Thai road is. 😉 

I think its everyone who needs to open their eyes... 

Cyclists, Drivers, Authorities... 

When we have a sitation where there exists significant speed and size differential between road users then inertia and mass such that the inattentive will not have time to react.

Is road design and visibility an issue ?

Is speed an issue ?

Is driver training an issue ?

(all of the above).

Example: Rounding a blind bend in the UK a few weeks back to end up on the back wheel of a cyclist...   I was careful, aware something could have been around that blind bend and was able 'not to hit the cyclist' (or whatever else could have been there)... Why ?... driver training ???

... Perhaps, but I haven't been driver trained for 30 years... so why wasn't I tearing around that corner at the legal road speed ??....       The answer I fear, is fear...  fear of hitting someone and behind held accountable - and therein lies the issue - there are people on the roads to whom this fear either cannot be understood because they are simply dumb, or they are both arrogant and reckless and think it wont happen to them.. 

... and the cyclists when using the road have to take an element of the 'arrogant and reckless and think it won't happen to them' because why else would they ride on roads where two tonne items can speed past them at 60 kmh ?... particularly Thai roads ???

Drivers of course at fault - but roads were never meant for such speed differentials... 80kg of cyclists at 30kmh and 2 tonne of metal at 60kmh...

But what can you do in a country where the police ride helmetless down a pavement / sidewalk ?

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think its everyone who needs to open their eyes... 

I was referring comment  to the comment " When will these foreigners in Thailand open their eyes"

the photo of the rider showing he is a Thailand Pro Continental Team rider ... meaning he was not some random foreigner out for a ride in a strange land

That aside of course as you said folks need to be alert but again for you also...Do you see the picture? Is it not clear to you he was struck from behind???

That aside again what needs doing is treating criminals like criminals. When someone hits someone in traffic an investigation needs to be done. Stupid excuses like brake failure need mechanical proof. ..drunk driving needs stiffer penalties... leaving the scene of an accident needs automatic jail time

Edited by mania
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, mania said:

I was referring comment  to the comment " When will these foreigners in Thailand open their eyes"

the photo of the rider showing he is a Thailand Pro Continental Team rider ... meaning he was not some random foreigner out for a ride in a strange land

That aside of course as you said folks need to be alert but again for you also...Do you see the picture? Is it not clear to you he was struck from behind???

That aside again what needs doing is treating criminals like criminals. When someone hits someone in traffic an investigation needs to be done. Stupid excuses like brake failure need mechanical proof. ..drunk driving needs stiffer penalties... leaving the scene of an accident needs automatic jail time

100% 

If I dont see a rider in the road and drive into him - its 100% my fault, whatever my excuse, given a very few acceptions (last second swerve or pulling out of a side street etc)... 

I rode in Bangkok a few times:

- I used to walk the bike across to Benjakiti and race around there ride quickly in fast pelatons - but it was clearly too dangerous ( so stopped).

- I rode a couple of times to the port and caught the ferry across - nice rides, but just fun, thats it - on one of them I was knocked off the bike by a parking motorcyclsist, who cut me off, stopped and trapped, me (my front wheel was inside his rear wheel and he slammed on his brakes as if I wasn't there)....  accident (stupidity) they were very helpful, he never meant to do that.

- Riding up to Polo soccer Along the Canal...   Got to to the road area near Ruam Rudee - every motorcyclist wanted to kill me, or thats what it felt like - a few nearly knocked me off as if I wasn't there.

After that I stopped - used the sky-lane... But after 3 laps I can hardly drive back my legs are too tired...  and getting there and getting back in a PITA in the traffic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does it matter whether its a Thai or foreign cyclist ???

They get mowed down by:

... idiots on their phones who think they can manage their road attention while texting.

... idiots speeding.

... idiots on meth.

... idiots running red lights.

... idiots, well, being idiots and not paying attention.

and finally...

... idiots who think they can handle their booze and drive while under the influence.

For me there isn't a single flag raised. 

6 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Must admit you can go around a tight corner and have 2 abreast blocking the road which may not have been the case here

I would not risk riding a push bike here .

I ride a bicycle every day, but you have to have 360 awareness and nerves of steel.

Thai drivers in the main give not quarter to cycles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When i think of cycling in Thailand i always remember the man attempting the around-the-world record and got hit by a pick up in 

Nakhon Ratchasima province.

He had completed almost 5 years of cycling and about to finish later the same year

“It was an accident caused by the driver’s recklessness. The road was straight and the cyclist was in his own lane,” the officer said.

Imagine that you are in your final year of the 5 year quest only to get hit by a pick up in Thailand 
Goes to show how dangerous the roads are here.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/22/chileans-round-the-world-record-cycling-quest-ends-in-death-on-thai-highway

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Riding a bicycle on the roads here in Thailand, was he trying to commit suicide?

How is this suicidal compared to motorcyclists? Bicycles tend to stay tight left and tend to be more aware. They're going slower. Motorbikes have more accidents.

I cycle daily. I would always wear a helmet and I've got a huge mirror that I check constantly. I've had one accident. That was being hit from behind on a quiet road by a motorbike. The guy admitted he was looking at his phone. That could have happened if I was on a motorbike.

• Confused 3

The problem is many cyclist enthusiasts, especially those from Europe, are possibly of the opinion that the road system, rules and drivers in Thailand are of the same standards as back in their own home countries.

image.png.cfcca47e2adfa4831e48e0286cf5dc9f.png

So If you're an active cyclist in Thailand, IMHO do what I did, dump your bike and find an alternative form of exercise.

You will certainly avoid the likelihood of being rundown by one of the crazy wacko drivers here in Thailand.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Galong said:

How is this suicidal compared to motorcyclists? Bicycles tend to stay tight left and tend to be more aware. They're going slower. Motorbikes have more accidents.

I cycle daily. I would always wear a helmet and I've got a huge mirror that I check constantly. I've had one accident. That was being hit from behind on a quiet road by a motorbike. The guy admitted he was looking at his phone. That could have happened if I was on a motorbike.

Because you know that you are one of the lowest on the pecking order, somewhere between Soi Dogs and Pedestrians, which means your life means nothing to the average Thai driver, you are nothing more than an impediment. You'd be safer dodging live-fire on a firing range, or jumping out of a plane without a parachute, than driving a bicycle on any road in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Galong said:

Cycling is much more dangerous.  In 25 years here I've been in ER 3 times and not even a scratch during all these years driving a motorbike. 

The issue is the speed disparity between vehicles and motorbikes and also the weight/size.  Drivers can have a hard time at times judging speed and some just simply miss cyclists when scanning the road.

A nice man hit me head on and told the police he didn't even see me and this has happened three times and maybe four ( woke up at 11pm in a ditch and no idea what happened the last time).  The three unaware drivers: man was excited about picking up his kids, two scooter talking to each other and didn't see me, and the last was a drunk on a scooter( he ended up with major head trauma and I had only broken bones).

Definately can mitigate risk if you are the ultra aware type, don't go over 60 kph on downhills, and obviously wear a helmet.  Still if you are an avid cyclist here expect broken bones at the least every 5-10 years.  I now am a runner 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mania said:

Team Roojai is a pro Thai cycling team based in Thailand.  They are a UCI continental team. This is one of their riders. Yes they have some team members who may not have been born in Thailand but they know better than you what a Thai road is. 😉 

Didn't help him much though did it.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% 

If I dont see a rider in the road and drive into him - its 100% my fault, whatever my excuse, given a very few acceptions (last second swerve or pulling out of a side street etc)... 

I rode in Bangkok a few times:

- I used to walk the bike across to Benjakiti and race around there ride quickly in fast pelatons - but it was clearly too dangerous ( so stopped).

- I rode a couple of times to the port and caught the ferry across - nice rides, but just fun, thats it - on one of them I was knocked off the bike by a parking motorcyclsist, who cut me off, stopped and trapped, me (my front wheel was inside his rear wheel and he slammed on his brakes as if I wasn't there)....  accident (stupidity) they were very helpful, he never meant to do that.

- Riding up to Polo soccer Along the Canal...   Got to to the road area near Ruam Rudee - every motorcyclist wanted to kill me, or thats what it felt like - a few nearly knocked me off as if I wasn't there.

After that I stopped - used the sky-lane... But after 3 laps I can hardly drive back my legs are too tired...  and getting there and getting back in a PITA in the traffic.

You could try both Rama IX Park where the oval is located for a few quick laps.  You can't cycle elsewhere in the park that much.  Even better is Nong Bon which is right next door to Rama IX Park.  It has a 4km path that is shared with other cyclists, runners, and walkers.  A lot of shade so is nicer than Skylane.