Registering car in wife’s name. Good idea?

I will be moving back to Thailand soon to live out the remainder of my life which hopefully will be for a good while. I have just turned 73.

I have all the visa/extension of stay bases covered.

I will be living in Khon Kaen and will be buying a car for between 400k to 500k baht.

If I register the car in my wife’s name will I still be able to insure it for myself to drive as I seem to recall that insurance goes on the car rather than the individual, or will it be best to register it and insure it in my name assuming that I am wrong on this point?

My wife doesn’t drive although I am hoping to change that after I get back and arrange proper lessons for her.

I would appreciate your advices on this proposal and if any has a particular insurance company they can recommend I would greatly appreciate it 

12 minutes ago, petermik said:

No not Issan....I personally will never spend one baht more here that I cannot afford to walk away from if needs be....the cars in her name so that if my toes curl up tomorrow she can access money quite easily.....car 18 months old.

Yes it would be easier for her, but in reality when you do die, it would take maybe 3 months, to get the letter from probate court, then everything here you have, is hers anyway.

I made a mistake some 20yrs ago by putting a car in my GF name, 1 yr later she 'stole' it and sold it the same day ! to pay her mothers gambling debts, so I was left without a car as you would be. Once bitten and all that, but your OP asked the question, so why did you bother posting it, if your willing to just walk away ? My answer remains the same, It is NOT a good Idea.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 2

I registered a new car (and other things) in my wife's name as she was 10 years younger than me and statistically should live longer than me. (45 and 55 years old at the time)

Then dammit - she went and died on me 10 years later.

No real hassle getting everything back but it took six months and a solicitor to manage the probate case. (No will - we were in the process of writing new ones.)

Like you, I trusted me wife - she trusted me to do the right thing.

Her dying was not in the plan.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

her family will Always come before you.

Not if you both have wills.

If in probate, then yes - her parents have a say.

Easy to get around.

Parents and siblings wrote letters to 'whom it may concern' stating that they had no interest in my late wife's estate.

Judge signed everything back over to me.

You do need to be married though.

• Like 1

Just now, Tropicalevo said:

Not if you both have wills.

If in probate, then yes - her parents have a say.

Easy to get around.

Parents and siblings wrote letters to 'whom it may concern' stating that they had no interest in my late wife's estate.

Judge signed everything back over to me.

You do need to be married though.

You just said the judge, so it did go to probate. Wills mean naff all, all deaths go to Probate mate if seeking funds. No IF about it.

but I guess you don't wont to know that.

14 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I registered a new car (and other things) in my wife's name as she was 10 years younger than me and statistically should live longer than me. (45 and 55 years old at the time)

Then dammit - she went and died on me 10 years later.

No real hassle getting everything back but it took six months and a solicitor to manage the probate case. (No will - we were in the process of writing new ones.)

Like you, I trusted me wife - she trusted me to do the right thing.

Her dying was not in the plan.

Was it your Idea to involve a solicitor ? Probate is normally carried out by the provincial family court (at a nominal fee if any) and normally takes 3 months max, using a solicitor could have made it drag on. Just saying no offence intended. 

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

The insurance allows what ever drivers you tell them will be using,   You, wife, and even anyone (not need to list), unless you know nobody ever will drive it, which may lower the premium a bit.

I always had the 'anyone' can drive, in case some would be driving when having an oops, and not be listed on the policy.

If you know just you & wife will only be the drivers, simply tell them that, and you may save a few baht.

Use to be me, wife, daughter had access to the cars, and if daughter had, and was out, and a friend, say , went to 7-11 because daughter too lazy, and had an oops, it would be covered.

My car is in the wife's name and insured for any driver but I am specifically named on the policy.

• Thumbs Up 2

The question is you buy a car why would you need it to be registered in your Thai wife's name give me one reason why you would need it to be registered in a Thai's name.

Is it because you're 73 and she's 23 that you need to register it you want to give it to her and her name what what's the under loaning thing here maybe you can share more details with us I would hate to see you in concan airport 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Can you please stop with your negative slur about Thai people in general.

It's not a slur, it's common sense but you must be lacking in that obviously.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I guess it boils down to how much you trust your wife. I have my car in my wife's name, she has a license but doesn't really drive except for the odd trip to visit a friend in the next village, we live in Chiang Mai but not in town so she will never drive in town. I trust her and she is 10 years younger so she should outlive me and then won't need to change it to her name. Also as mentioned before the ticket will come in her name, it happened once for a red light violation, but I paid it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, arick said:

The question is you buy a car why would you need it to be registered in your Thai wife's name give me one reason why you would need it to be registered in a Thai's name.

Is it because you're 73 and she's 23 that you need to register it you want to give it to her and her name what what's the under loaning thing here maybe you can share more details with us I would hate to see you in concan airport 

'Coz it's easier, some just can't be bothered, like using agents for extensions, laziness fear of any authorities and can't stand on their own 2 feet.  IMO. Just as easy to get your wife to help you put it in your name..............:coffee1:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1

After the difficulties selling my first vehicle, I resorted to putting the vehicle titles in my wife's name.  I regret it.  While I was out of the country she sold my SUV and took me off the insurance for her car.  We had big arguments about that. She won... She controls the house and the vehicle. She lets me live here. It's so much cheaper for me here and I'm 71. There are none of the great paying jobs I had available for me anymore. You need to maintain some control.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Did something change, as I've had cars registered in my name, and no different than if in wife or Thai's name, buying or selling.  Last  3 were in wife's name, simply easier if I crap out, and she'll avoid any 'death tax' if there is one.  

First 2 in my name, 2003 & 2008.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Did something change, as I've had cars registered in my name, and no different than if in wife or Thai's name, buying or selling.  Last  3 were in wife's name, simply easier if I crap out, and she'll avoid any 'death tax' if there is one.  

First 2 in my name, 2003 & 2008.

Same for me, been with my wife 15 years, everything in her name. At the start I was putting stuff in my name, but now, she can have it all.

So to the OP, my advice, depends how long you've been together. Also depends if you can afford a potential 500kbht loss.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

It's not a slur, it's common sense but you must be lacking in that obviously.

Must be horrible to have such negative experiences you have, as you can post about it here. Or maybe it´s just made up things.

We all know that there are chances to be played for a fool, get ripped off and so on , but most of us do not base our life on posting over and over again about it.

Either you take a chance, or you live with mistrust all the time. Seems like you made up your mind about that.

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Must be horrible to have such negative experiences you have, as you can post about it here. Or maybe it´s just made up things.

We all know that there are chances to be played for a fool, get ripped off and so on , but most of us do not base our life on posting over and over again about it.

Either you take a chance, or you live with mistrust all the time. Seems like you made up your mind about that.

Why take completely unnecessary chances, it is a risk, why take a risk when there is a safe and sure way. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

Why take completely unnecessary chances, it is a risk, why take a risk when there is a safe and sure way. 

What is a life, without taking chances? I would say, rather boring!

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did it for years. No problems. Only issue is if you want to move back home. The insurance will be in her name so you won't have a driving record and insurance will be expensive. This just happened to me.

• Like 2