Registering car in wife’s name. Good idea?

8 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

No, it isn't because then it will be her car, just like if you buy a house or a condo, and if she decides she had enough of you there's nothing you can do to get it back.

If you can show you financed the purchase you can recover the money .

Cost of the exercise may be more than you will recover.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

You just said the judge, so it did go to probate. Wills mean naff all, all deaths go to Probate mate if seeking funds. No IF about it.

but I guess you don't wont to know that.

We did not have current wills (see my previous post). We were in  the process of re-writing them having just sold a property.

That is why it was a probate case.

Was it your Idea to involve a solicitor ? Probate is normally carried out by the provincial family court (at a nominal fee if any) and normally takes 3 months max, using a solicitor could have made it drag on. Just saying no offence intended. 

We only have one court on the island.

Any provincial court would be on the mainland.

No offence taken.

• Like 1

Why the OP bothered with his post is beyond me, he has already made up his mind to 'give' it to his wife, so whatever any members tell him, he will obviously ignore. Pointless OP. imo

I often wonder why people ask advice when they already know the answer and have no intention to follow advice give.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Issanraider said:

I will be moving back to Thailand soon to live out the remainder of my life which hopefully will be for a good while. I have just turned 73.

I have all the visa/extension of stay bases covered.

I will be living in Khon Kaen and will be buying a car for between 400k to 500k baht.

If I register the car in my wife’s name will I still be able to insure it for myself to drive as I seem to recall that insurance goes on the car rather than the individual, or will it be best to register it and insure it in my name assuming that I am wrong on this point?

My wife doesn’t drive although I am hoping to change that after I get back and arrange proper lessons for her.

I would appreciate your advices on this proposal and if any has a particular insurance company they can recommend I would greatly appreciate it 

If you register the car in your wife's name, you officially have donated or gifted the car to your wife.

You only need a confirmed address in Thailand – a letter from the local immigration office – to register a car in your own name.

First class insurance – normally on new cars – can be limited to two named drivers with a discount. If you are either named driver or the car "just" have an insurance, it covers when you are driving with a valid driver's license; remember that after three month in Thailand you need a Thai driver's license.

If you but a new car a first class insurance for first year will normally be included or offered, there is also often a variety of insurance companies to choose from. I use Virayah Insurance – because the first car I bought second hand in Thailand had that insurance, and I've been satisfied with the company so far. If it's the best I cannot say. My local Virayah-agent sorts everything for me with annual tax payment and mandatory insurance at no extra service-charge, so I can renew my insurance and pay tax in one go, without a visit to the Land Transport Office.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

We did not have current wills (see my previous post). We were in  the process of re-writing them having just sold a property.

That is why it was a probate case.

We only have one court on the island.

Any provincial court would be on the mainland.

No offence taken.

That is the same for me but that is where it has to go, TRAT. there is no choice. There is no court at all on KC. 

Edited by brianthainess

26 minutes ago, khunPer said:

If you register the car in your wife's name, you officially have donated or gifted the car to your wife.

You only need a confirmed address in Thailand – a letter from the local immigration office – to register a car in your own name.

First class insurance – normally on new cars – can be limited to two named drivers with a discount. If you are either named driver or the car "just" have an insurance, it covers when you are driving with a valid driver's license; remember that after three month in Thailand you need a Thai driver's license.

If you but a new car a first class insurance for first year will normally be included or offered, there is also often a variety of insurance companies to choose from. I use Virayah Insurance – because the first car I bought second hand in Thailand had that insurance, and I've been satisfied with the company so far. If it's the best I cannot say. My local Virayah-agent sorts everything for me with annual tax payment and mandatory insurance at no extra service-charge, so I can renew my insurance and pay tax in one go, without a visit to the Land Transport Office.

26 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You'd think after 20yrs here he'd have a yellow book and a pink ID card, but I guess that's to hard for him too.

• Sad 1

Twenty years, house, apartment, condos, 3 cars, 3 motorbike all in her name.

Im the main driver insurance, yearly registration stickers are all taken care by me. Not one borrows our vehicles bikes oK. 

Im happy I came here nothing in my name want to die the same way.:cheesy:

Friends ask why?  Answer who the <deleted> would want to own anything here.

• Haha 1

Op - Direct answer:

- It doesn't matter whose name the car is in - insure the car for anyone to drive (or have both your wife and yourself as named drivers).

- Depending on the value of the car have either 1st Class insurance or if the car is cheap, go for basic government insurance (por-ror-bor)

OR... If like some others you are married to someone untrustworthy, who you think will run off and sell the car etc then its a simple enough process to put the car in your name.

13 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Last car I bought, I bought for my wife for an anniversary present. Needed a car anyway, so two birds with one stone. 

I'm going to give that a try on my Wedding Anniversary....  

... I'm sure I'll need a beer....   :hit-the-fan:

12 years living in the US..  everything was in my name   house land ins banks  etc

now it's her turn 

Land (obviously) in wifes name

house in wifes name  ( I am listed on chanote with lifetime usufruct (***)  )

car in wifes name ( she does not drive or even have a license )

all ins policies in her name

we have a joint bank acct

we go shopping..  all member #s are with her phone #

I   as in me alone  ... own 4 guitars and my underwear .  ( and my bank acct for immigration )  those are mine ..hands off

after 16 years of total bliss.   I have no doubts or fears about anything

my life is simple and quite satisfying

I'm 4 months shy of 70  she's 48 ..   I figure that still give me an edge on the longevity outlook... (***)

wouldn't have it any other way !

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

12 years living in the US..  everything was in my name   house land ins banks  etc

now it's her turn 

Land (obviously) in wifes name

house in wifes name  ( I am listed on chanote with lifetime usufruct (***)  )

car in wifes name ( she does not drive or even have a license )

all ins policies in her name

we have a joint bank acct

we go shopping..  all member #s are with her phone #

I   as in me alone  ... own 4 guitars and my underwear .  ( and my bank acct for immigration )  those are mine ..hands off

after 16 years of total bliss.   I have no doubts or fears about anything

my life is simple and quite satisfying

I'm 4 months shy of 70  she's 48 ..   I figure that still give me an edge on the longevity outlook... (***)

wouldn't have it any other way !

Same, but no equity built up, while married to #1 & 2.  Not till about 30 yrs old was I debt free, or monthly payment free.  Tenants paying the mortgages, then all cash kind of guy, unless a new investment.  Rinse & repeat.

Wife #3 (Thai), big mistake, and imaginary safe with some paperwork.  Thankfully the family liked me more than the wife, and didn't cause any trouble.  Escaped that marriage ASAP, no financial loss, though walk away investment really.  POA, so kept proceeds of house sale.

GF/wife #4 (Thai), and long courtship, 2nd house all her name (walk away investment again).  Eight year living together before marriage, and just for the hell of it.

No decision to stay in TH, till daughter out of school (before Uni), and house sold.  3 yr tester living out of the NE (Udon Thani), at PKK before deciding to stay in TH.  House & toys #3, all in her name.   If she can put up with me this long, (18 yrs & counting) she deserves everything  ... :coffee1:

So, anyone need relationship advice ... :cheesy:

• Love It 1

On 8/21/2024 at 1:35 AM, Issanraider said:

I will be moving back to Thailand soon to live out the remainder of my life which hopefully will be for a good while. I have just turned 73.

I have all the visa/extension of stay bases covered.

I will be living in Khon Kaen and will be buying a car for between 400k to 500k baht.

If I register the car in my wife’s name will I still be able to insure it for myself to drive as I seem to recall that insurance goes on the car rather than the individual, or will it be best to register it and insure it in my name assuming that I am wrong on this point?

My wife doesn’t drive although I am hoping to change that after I get back and arrange proper lessons for her.

I would appreciate your advices on this proposal and if any has a particular insurance company they can recommend I would greatly appreciate it 

Why wouldn't you register your car in your name ? 

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

You'd think after 20yrs here he'd have a yellow book and a pink ID card, but I guess that's to hard for him too.

Why do you talk about Yellow House Book and Pink ID-car, the thread is about car-registration and you don't need that as foreigner, to register a car.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Why do you talk about Yellow House Book and Pink ID-car, the thread is about car-registration and you don't need that as foreigner, to register a car.

Yellow book definitely helps, as no need for CoR, hopefully, dealer & province dependent.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

If you have both you do not need a LOR, that is why, I thought an 'advanced' member would know that. 

• Sad 1

On 8/21/2024 at 1:49 PM, brianthainess said:

'Coz it's easier, some just can't be bothered, like using agents for extensions, laziness fear of any authorities and can't stand on their own 2 feet.  IMO. Just as easy to get your wife to help you put it in your name..............:coffee1:

Give me a break a useless hen that can't even drive is going to be more useful I'm just laughing at this comment.

Edited by arick

On 8/21/2024 at 11:42 AM, brianthainess said:

Yes it would be easier for her, but in reality when you do die, it would take maybe 3 months, to get the letter from probate court, then everything here you have, is hers anyway.

I made a mistake some 20yrs ago by putting a car in my GF name, 1 yr later she 'stole' it and sold it the same day ! to pay her mothers gambling debts, so I was left without a car as you would be. Once bitten and all that, but your OP asked the question, so why did you bother posting it, if your willing to just walk away ? My answer remains the same, It is NOT a good Idea.

My response is quite the opposite to yours. We bought the Ford Ranger in 2001 and had it registered in her name.

Here we both are after 24 years of marriage and 21 years of the Ford. All 3 of us growing older together.

Her Mum lived with us for about 5 years before she died, and she spent 2 weeks out of 3 down in Bangkok for a few months staying with her Dad before he died.

I am lucky and you were unlucky.

To the OP, it is all a matter of love and you trust her, that is what matters.

It is your choice and nobody on this forum can make up your mind for you.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to put it in her name.

What is worth more to you, your wife , or a soulless lump of metal, glass, rubber and plastic that wont cook or do anything for you.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling

23 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Put it this way would you put a car in someone else's name in your own country ?

Yes.

I did in the UK a few times.

It is all about trust.

If you can't trust your wife, then why marry her?

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yellow book definitely helps, as no need for CoR, hopefully, dealer & province dependent.

Yes, it helps, but is not needed. Some Land Transport Offices still claims a letter from Immigration when having a Yellow House Book.

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

If you have both you do not need a LOR, that is why, I thought an 'advanced' member would know that. 

Depending on the local Land Transport Office, some offices still want an LOR even you have a Yellow House Book.

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Yes, it helps, but is not needed. Some Land Transport Offices still claims a letter from Immigration when having a Yellow House Book.

As stated ...

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:
5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

As stated ...

As always, check with the local office, what the wish; there are differences. Yellow book helps getting an address letter from immigration, yes; but you might still need that letter, yellow book or not, and still get that letter without a yellow book. TM30 is an important part, also if you have a yellow book.