Several neighbouring countries compete with Thailand for foreign retirees

Timing for an article such is this should raise some flags. They have not shown thailand any better than other countries near here. Are they trying to give the foreigners options to leave before taxes are imposed? Do they see that many foreigners are considering leaving Thailand before they begin imposing taxes next year? 

One has to wonder these things because Thailand never ever tries to show they are not better in some ways than other neighboring countries.  Except in this respect. 

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

One has to wonder these things because Thailand never ever tries to show they are not better in some ways than other neighboring countries.  Except in this respect. 

Assuming this article is independent journalism...not sponsored by any Thai Govt agency. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, jcmj said:

Thailand is bound to shoot itself in the foot again sooner or later. 

I don’t disagree.. but.. they’d have to do worse damage than other competing countries.. and the way I see it - specifically to SE Asia - despite all the negatives that Thailand has or has proposed - they still enjoy a “teflon” like coating… will that remain forever? doubt it.. but i think a lot of other countries will have to make bigger strides forward AND gain more name recognition/credibility.. an advantage that Thailand has enjoyed for a LONG time over their neighbors and regional Asian competitors. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Homburg said:

"Thailand offers a multiplicity of long term visas......" All of which seems to be thoughtfully designed to deter as many applicants as possible. By contrast in Cambodia, retirees pay an annual (multiple entry) visa extension fee of c.$200 (c.$300 via an agent with no need to ever set foot in immigration, just drop off your passport with a pic, pay the fee and collect it in about a week). And that's it. No mountains of paperwork, no bank deposit, no re-entry permits, no 90 day reporting. Just come and go as you please. One page in the passport is used up each year for the visa (plus entry and exit stamps). One gripe: the annual extension is for 364 days only!

i completely agree with you. From this year on every expat staying longer then 180 days need to pay tax. And in return? Nothing changes. Actually Thailand is not competing at all.

Its like they focus more and more on tourists, instead of making things a little easier for retirees. No, its a one way. Some job to do for the Shinawatra family. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1