I'm planning to stay in Thailand over 6 months. Would Thai government try to tax me?

1 hour ago, paahlman said:

First of all its 183 days.. not 180.

Wrong.

Some people should read the law before posting falshoods.

It's 180 days, ie more than 179 days. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

That's my point, and I've been told to sit on the fence for now.

And the person who told me that often has columns in the press regarding tax, he writes in newspapers, and his articles are published on many forums, including this one.

Sitting on the fence if you remit 600,000 B/ year, ok.

Sitting on the fence if you remit 6m B/ year - that would be incredibly stupid. 

But people who remit 6m  B/year don't sit on fences. 

• Love It 1

35 minutes ago, Lorry said:

People who are able to remit THB6M/year certainly meet the requirements to apply for a LTR visa and be legally tax exempted on all their foreign remittances, if they choose to do so.

• Agree 1

Legally could tax you but you pay 0% on first I think 210,000 baht. 150,000 is 0% tax + 60,000 one individual personal exemption, Amount paid up to 25,000 baht to Thai Insurance Company. Tax is on Foreign Accessible Income remitted to Thailand that was earned/newly Accessible in 2024

Are you bringing in Accessible income available prior to 2024.

Thailand Revenue Department Order No. Por 162 "The provisions of paragraph one shall not apply to assessable income arising before the date 1 January 2024"

Your Welcome, Enjoy your stay, Thailand is still  "Open for All"

53 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Sitting on the fence if you remit 600,000 B/ year, ok.

Sitting on the fence if you remit 6m B/ year - that would be incredibly stupid. 

I think the first one would be closer to the mark, as the properties and cars, in both mine and my partner's name, are all bought and paid for.

We just do living expenses.

I am waiting to see what happens with the condo industry being in the doldrums, what they are going to do when foreigners stop buying them as they don't want taxing on transferring large amounts to buy such things, the same applies to cars and trucks.

2 hours ago, paahlman said:

First of all its 183 days.. not 180. Further.. The tax kicks in on around 300 000 baht. Because you have to factor in deductables on the transferred cash. If taxable income after deductions are under 200k . there is no to little tax.. But im not 100% sure on that number..., but it is in that region.. Also.. if your country has a tax deal with Thailand its mostly beneficial to tax to two countries as its deductible in home country again. The tax in Thailand is step based. 5%, 10% , 15% and 20 and finally 25% depening on amount.

wrong - the Thai revenue Department set the number at 180 days in a calendar year makes one a Thai Tax Resident.  In the written (converted to English too) on the thai revenue depart webb site.  Easy enough for anyone to find and shouldn't need somebody draw you a picture!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, paahlman said:

First of all its 183 days.. not 180. Further.. The tax kicks in on around 300 000 baht. Because you have to factor in deductables on the transferred cash. If taxable income after deductions are under 200k . there is no to little tax.. But im not 100% sure on that number..., but it is in that region.. Also.. if your country has a tax deal with Thailand its mostly beneficial to tax to two countries as its deductible in home country again. The tax in Thailand is step based. 5%, 10% , 15% and 20 and finally 25% depening on amount.

You should do some more reading, try starting with this:

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

If your statement reflects what you understand about this subject, you've got a whole bunch of catching up to do.

I understand nothing has been cast in stone about all of it, there is a lot of scaremongering more from accountants out to make a fast buck. Can you explain how the they propose to collect the tax ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

I understand nothing has been cast in stone about all of it, there is a lot of scaremongering more from accountants out to make a fast buck. Can you explain how the they propose to collect the tax ?

You also need to do some reading, most of it is set in stone already and has been since last year. Try reading this:

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, chiang mai said:

It is the responsibility of the individual to self assess and declare where appropriate, during each year for which they are tax resident. If they are not tax resident in a particular year, or, they don't have the minimum amount of assessable income that requires them to file a tax return, it is not necessary to file. The minimum amount of assessable income required to file a tax return is different from person to person, based on their age, marital status, the deductions and allowances they can claim. Technically, anyone who is tax resident, is married and has assessible income of 220k baht or greater must file. In practise, if no tax is due, the TRD isn't interested in you filing (although you can if you wish). In practise, a person over aged 65 years, married and importing pension income, can expect to remit over 500k baht per year, before they begin to pay tax. A single person under age 65 years who remits other form of income, may begin to pay tax after 60k baht per year.  There are many variables.

not quite correct. my take on it is anyone single who is a tax resident, and has assessable income of 120k+ per calendar year should file, or 220k+ if married and are filing a joint return.

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

not quite correct. my take on it is anyone single who is a tax resident, and has assessable income of 120k+ per calendar year should file, or 220k+ if married and are filing a joint return.

Yes, I agree, I didn't set out all the filing scenarios because I didn't think it was necessary since the point of the post was mainly to confirm that the onus is on the taxpayer to assess and file.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

The big risk is that they push it all onto us and make it our problem by making a tax declaration/receipt a requirement for one year extension as is with Non B. Imm already linked with tax database. Good luck if you live in a province where Imm demands it and tax office shoos you away when you try and file.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The government haven’t even said they are going deduct the tax as yet.

Whoosh!

Absolutely correct @Jumbo1968. Below are the stated aims of this new tax policy, announced last year.

'According to legal experts, the policy appears to have three specific targets: residents trading in foreign stock markets through foreign brokerages, cryptocurrency traders, and Thais who have been exploiting a loophole that allowed them to bring foreign earnings into the country tax-free after keeping it in an offshore account for more than a calendar year'.

I see nothing in that statement which relates to the taxing of foreign residents.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/50748/new-tax-regulations-raises-questions-and-concerns/

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, ppatrick said:

Hi,

I've been visiting and staying Thailand every year, normally 3 months of every year, for the last 6-7 years. This year I already did 3 months around the beginning of the year. I'm planning to visit and stay again from September to end of the year. So that would be the total of 7 months for this year. Not sure whether this would trigger the "residency rule" (an individual is considered a resident when staying in a country for 6 months or more) and qualify me to be taxed as a Thai resident. I think it's kind of an international rule, including Thailand. The question is whether Thailand enforce it? Would they check the entry visa (two 90 day visa in my case) and go after people who stay in Thailand more than 6 months out of  a year? Please share your experiences or opinions. Thank you.

The 180-days rule is for a tax-year; i.e., calendar year:

"If a person resides in Thailand for 180 days or more during the tax calendar year, that person is taxed for income from that year. As of January 1, 2024 onwards, this income is subject to tax."

Source link HERE.

So, it's depending of when you enters Thailand and when you leave. Income tax is calculated per tax-year, the same as many other countries.

Being snowbird from the Northern hemisphere should not enforce income tax, as a stay will be split over two tax-years.

However, we still lack details about how the new income-tax of long-stay foreigners will be performed.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Another wizard on theory, your posts very similar to the originator of all these threads ML, but you have the same issue in understanding.

I wonder what username he's using now?

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Being a tax resident doesn't imply you would have to pay taxes on income from foreign sources.

It depends on what the tax treaty between Thailand and your country stipulates.

For example, as for Thailand-France tax treaty, all pensions are to be taxed in the country who pays them.

Promulgating the convention between the kingdom of Thailand and the Republic of France

You have to check what the tax treaty between Thailand and your own country says.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, treetops said:
9 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Another wizard on theory, your posts very similar to the originator of all these threads ML, but you have the same issue in understanding.

34 minutes ago, treetops said:

I wonder what username he's using now?

He's still around and under the same username. But stays very quiet on this topic now. Wisely so IMO.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, chiang mai said:
44 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Absolutely correct @Jumbo1968. Below are the stated aims of this new tax policy, announced last year.

'According to legal experts, the policy appears to have three specific targets: residents trading in foreign stock markets through foreign brokerages, cryptocurrency traders, and Thais who have been exploiting a loophole that allowed them to bring foreign earnings into the country tax-free after keeping it in an offshore account for more than a calendar year'.

I see nothing in that statement which relates to the taxing of foreign residents.

49 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

You're hilarious ML, how many times have posters been over all of this and yet here you are, casting doubt whether the whole thing is make believe or fact. Heads up, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Flat earthers are alive and well.

So where are your facts CM? All I've read from you is the same old waffle that started back in Sept last year from you know who. 

So post us a link CM. Show us where it says that we are liable to be taxed. Come on, let's see it. And not another one from within this forum, which is where this rumour started. Let's have a credible link. If you can find one.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

So where are your facts CM? All I've read from you is the same old waffle that started back in Sept last year from you know who. 

So post us a link CM. Show us where it says that we are liable to be taxed. Come on, let's see it. And not another one from within this forum, which is where this rumour started. Let's have a credible link. If you can find one.

So are you disputing the reality of the links that showed the meetings set up by the Swiss Ambassador and the French Embassy with a supposedly senior RD person present?

These were some/many months ago but were well documented on here.

23 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Show us where it says that we are liable to be taxed

Personally if I was being overly pedantic, like certain posters on this forum, I would say that is the wrong choice of words. As has been stated many times on here (backed up by quotes from the Thai RD code) that if you meet the criteria then you are supposed to file yourself. However if you don't then no one can say how that may play out in years to come......

• Love It 2

46 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

He's still around and under the same username. But stays very quiet on this topic now. Wisely so IMO.

Not logged on to his usual account for over 6 weeks.

35 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I'm not playing your games, there's no need at this late stage. If you want to believe that foreigners are not liable to tax, have it, with my blessing.......flattie. 🙂

Which is another way of saying you can't provide a link. I thought that might be the case.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1