Canada Implements 100% Tariff on China-Made Electric Vehicles

Social Media

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

We are extremely fortunate in Thailand to have the choice without being taxed to sh?t or being forced to buy expensive, less technologically advanced cars.

I think that the Thai workers who are loosing their jobs in Thai factories would disagree with you.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

i don't like communists. never for the life of me understood why we even deal with china in the first place. 

But you are not Justin Trudeau.

He aspires to wield the type of power that Xi wields. He also shares many of the communist/socilaist ideals. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good news, but don't stop there. Tariff Chinese imports into oblivion and employ citizens to make stuff in Canadian ( or insert country of choice ) factories.

I've had enough of only being able to buy Chinese junk that lasts about 5 minutes.

Expect our farm sector to be hammered by this. 

• Haha 1

While I think tariffs on highly subsidized commodities like steel and aluminum are likely a good idea, I question how wise it is to impose such horrendously high tariffs on EV's from China. As far as I'm concerned one of the most dangerous, reckless, and poorly thought out policies that Trump has proposed, are even higher tariffs on many classes of imported products.

Who ends up paying for this? American companies who are manufacturing in China, and the consumer, that's who. 

In the end huge taxes may encourage companies too pull out of China, which is a good thing, but how long will that process take, and what will the economic consequences be in the interim? 

China's problem is a huge manufacturing base, which has been largely created with state money, and is certainly under state direction. Their own consumers cannot provide enough demand to keep that industrial base working yet their working people need the jobs (and wages) which it provides.

The Chinese government needs China to be the manufacturer to the world, otherwise their economy will fail, rather as their property market has failed. If the economy fails then the society, which the government has created and so painstakingly controls will also fail.

The only way that China can be the manufacturer the world is if their government is prepared to subsidise trading. Part of that process is bringing under their control the domestic manufacturing and markets of adjacent and strategically located countries.

Western Europe did it two centuries ago. Eventually it rather fell apart. China is doing exactly the same thing now, except (largely) reliant on economic rather than military forces. Colonialism by debt!

Ask Sri Lanka, Pakistan ( their government doesn't care, they seem their country rather as an army with a country attached), large swathes of Africa and parts of South America.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

While I think tariffs on highly subsidized commodities like steel and aluminum are likely a good idea, I question how wise it is to impose such horrendously high tariffs on EV's from China. As far as I'm concerned one of the most dangerous, reckless, and poorly thought out policies that Trump has proposed, are even higher tariffs on many classes of imported products.

Who ends up paying for this? American companies who are manufacturing in China, and the consumer, that's who. 

In the end huge taxes may encourage companies too pull out of China, which is a good thing, but how long will that process take, and what will the economic consequences be in the interim? 

I think you are only giving consideration to the companies inside China and failing to see who it hurts without increasing tariffs with the companies that are inside the US, Canada, and many other countries. 

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

China's problem is a huge manufacturing base, which has been largely created with state money, and is certainly under state direction. Their own consumers cannot provide enough demand to keep that industrial base working yet their working people need the jobs (and wages) which it provides.

The Chinese government needs China to be the manufacturer to the world, otherwise their economy will fail, rather as their property market has failed. If the economy fails then the society, which the government has created and so painstakingly controls will also fail.

The only way that China can be the manufacturer the world is if their government is prepared to subsidise trading. Part of that process is bringing under their control the domestic manufacturing and markets of adjacent and strategically located countries.

Western Europe did it two centuries ago. Eventually it rather fell apart. China is doing exactly the same thing now, except (largely) reliant on economic rather than military forces. Colonialism by debt!

Ask Sri Lanka, Pakistan ( their government doesn't care, they seem their country rather as an army with a country attached), large swathes of Africa and parts of South America.

China is not the only country subsidising its industries. The dairy and agricultural industry is heavily subsidised in the west, the oil industry receives huge subsidies, the inflation reduction act and the chips act are all subsidies. I don’t see why that should be an issue. New and better technologies evolve such as solar panels and EVs. Consumers benefit. China exports deflation to the world. How can this be a bad thing?

Large parts of the global south is benefiting from China’s BRI. As one African leader puts it, when China comes, we get schools and hospitals. When western leaders come, all we get are lectures.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

China is not the only country subsidising its industries. The dairy and agricultural industry is heavily subsidised in the west, the oil industry receives huge subsidies, the inflation reduction act and the chips act are all subsidies. I don’t see why that should be an issue. New and better technologies evolve such as solar panels and EVs. Consumers benefit. China exports deflation to the world. How can this be a bad thing?

Large parts of the global south is benefiting from China’s BRI. As one African leader puts it, when China comes, we get schools and hospitals. When western leaders come, all we get are lectures.

Agree to a large extend, but calling the inflation reduction act a subsidy is too easy.

Regarding Africa and other places China has been helping out, as has been shown already they didn't get schools and hospitals but are paying themselves. China wants their investments back.

• Agree 1

On 8/28/2024 at 12:37 PM, KhunLA said:

Western countries that spy on their citizens, listen to the phone calls, read their emails, and all the social media.  Track every aspect of their lives.   

And people are concerned that CH might start doing the same thing ... :cheesy:

Read it again. The concern that I read was that the operation of the machinery could be compromised.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are joking! Almost everything hardware in all the shops in NZ is made in China.

That's not CH's fault, that's the people of NZ's fault.   Stop buying, and vote for better politicians, or vote with your buying choices, only buy 'made in NZ', or elsewhere, other than CH if a concern.   

I'm pro CH myself, and very happy TH is an 'ally' in commerce with them.  

TH ❤️ CH ...  ROCKS

I know USA has choices, and can buy most things 'made in USA', abet inferior and more expensive.   But they voted in the idiots, and don't vote with their wallet.   Nobody to blame but themselves.

Suspect same for NZ & worldwide.   Trump's hair and Harris' illiteracy is so much more import to concentrate on.  Tampons in the men's room, Bud Light commercials ... the outrage :cheesy:

Som nam na

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

That's not CH's fault, that's the people of NZ's fault.   Stop buying, and vote for better politicians, or vote with your buying choices, only buy 'made in NZ', or elsewhere, other than CH if a concern.   

I agree. Plenty of sheeple in NZ.

Better politicians, cough cough.

I think you missed the bit where I pointed out that NZ doesn't make appliances and hardware any more. I would buy made in a country not China if it were possible.

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Suspect same for NZ & worldwide.   Trumps hair and Harris' illiteracy is so much more import to concentrate on.  Tampons in the men's room, Bud Light commercials ... the outrage :cheesy:

100% agree, which is why I'm convinced we are in the last days of western civilisation.

It was good while it lasted and I had the best of it, but it's over.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You mean the IMO traitor companies that condemned Americans to unemployment so they could make more profit by exploiting poor people overseas. I hope they go broke.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

100% agree, which is why I'm convinced we are in the last days of western civilisation.

"Western Civilization" is an imaginary new-blip headline.

Economies are so intertwined, their is only a 'one world' civilization.  Next step is one currency, digital and that equals total control.  

Thankful to be in TH, as cask is still king here ... for now.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yep. Liberalism, multi-culturalism and identity politics is destroying the West. 

The East is rising, and belly laughing at our self destruction. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

"Western Civilization" is an imaginary new-blip headline.

Economies are so intertwined, their is only a 'one world' civilization.  Next step is one currency, digital and that equals total control.  

Thankful to be in TH, as cask is still king here ... for now.

If you want to be picky- the western countries that allow an alien cultural demographic with no wish to assimilate in by the millions are doomed to the same fate as Rome, when the barbarians invited to protect it decided to take it over instead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/28/2024 at 4:44 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Good news, but don't stop there. Tariff Chinese imports into oblivion and employ citizens to make stuff in Canadian ( or insert country of choice ) factories.

I've had enough of only being able to buy Chinese junk that lasts about 5 minutes.

Here you go!

and the compliments of your good friend putin.

image.jpeg.bf5d7df8572caea47c1af9fbd150f564.jpeg

• Agree 1

On 8/28/2024 at 5:54 AM, thesetat2013 said:

Not only this, an EV made in China could possibly have some program or device installed that could be activated at Chinas will. Controlling movement by their EVs. The US has already found such devices in cranes and heavy equipment they purchased through Chinese companies. 

i'd question that TBH, however, if true do you not think the US wouldn't have been thinking about how to do the same.

• Agree 1

Canada needs EVs like fish need bicycles. We have more oil than almost any other country. Brutal winters. Long commutes. Crumbling infrastructure. Where do EVs fit into this scenario?  Ford and Toyota are correct in switching to hybrid engine technology more and more.

I think Trudeau very very reluctantly is starting to push back gently on his lefty tendencies. There is an election looming, and he needs to drift back to the centre and try to appeal to voters.   

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jvs said:

Here you go!

and the compliments of your good friend putin.

image.jpeg.bf5d7df8572caea47c1af9fbd150f564.jpeg

That's pretty cool.

I'd buy it in yellow and get a "Trotters Independent Traders" logo on the side. 

• Haha 2

On 8/29/2024 at 8:24 AM, stevenl said:

Regarding Africa and other places China has been helping out, as has been shown already they didn't get schools and hospitals but are paying themselves. China wants their investments back.

Has been shown? Where? What I do read is that China has forgiven and written off many loans.