Thai woman fired after leave to care for ill child

สกรีนช็อต-2024-08-28-111106.jpg

A woman who took leave to care for her seriously ill child was given an ultimatum by her uncaring boss to return to work or be dismissed after three days, sparking divided opinions online.

The incident unfolded on the Facebook page เจ๊ม้อย v+ where a chat conversation between an employee and her boss was shared. The conversation revealed that after taking three days off to care for her child, who was hospitalised with a high fever and seizures, the employee was told to return to work or face termination.

The chat began at 6.55pm on August 22, when the employee informed her boss that her child had a fever of 41 degrees Celsius and was having seizures. She urgently took her child to the hospital, where the doctor admitted the child, necessitating her stay to care for them. She requested leave starting that day.

By 8.40am on August 23, the boss acknowledged the situation and asked for daily updates, which the employee agreed to provide.

On August 24, the boss inquired about the duration of her leave. The employee responded that the doctor had not yet indicated when her child could be discharged from the hospital.

The following day, the boss asked if she would return to work the next day, noting that she had already been absent for three days. The boss then issued an ultimatum: return to work the next day or face dismissal.

The employee replied that her child was still in the hospital and, if necessary, she would accept termination. The boss responded curtly.

“You have been off for several days. I think you should no longer continue working here as it affects the job. You can end your employment immediately.” The employee’s brief reply was, “Understood.”

Once the post was shared, it garnered a wide range of reactions. Some sympathised with the employee, arguing that her situation was genuinely urgent. They felt it was harsh for her to lose her job while caring for a severely ill child. Many questioned why the workplace couldn’t accommodate her absence, suggesting a lack of empathy and flexibility, reported Sanook.

Others viewed the situation from the boss’s perspective, understanding the potential impact on the business or team due to the employee’s indefinite leave. They pointed out that the employee did not provide a clear timeline for her return, which could disrupt operations.

By Bright Choomanee

Picture courtesy of Sanook

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-28

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

This is just a bunch of Crap and Bull. The employer is wrong in all ways. The employee has a legit reason to be away from work and have reported that. She can also not say when she can be back as that is done by the doctors.

In the case that she is legally employed, she can seek help at Labor Department. The boss will get his arse fried.

In case she is not legally employed, the boss is not paying his fees for employees to the government. If push there, he will be fried again.

HA! HA! you are funny Labor dept,  Nothing will happen, she is out of a job end of story,

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

This is just a bunch of Crap and Bull. The employer is wrong in all ways. The employee has a legit reason to be away from work and have reported that. She can also not say when she can be back as that is done by the doctors.

In the case that she is legally employed, she can seek help at Labor Department. The boss will get his arse fried.

In case she is not legally employed, the boss is not paying his fees for employees to the government. If push there, he will be fried again.

Yeah sure.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Yeah sure.

Another elite comment from MalcolmB. Very informative and interesting.

May I ask how much experience you have of the topic?

Have you been, or are you, employed in Thailand?

Have you been running, or are you, running your own company in Thailand?

I have been employed and are today running 3 companies in Thailand.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Have you been running, or are you, running your own company in Thailand?

yeah I opened a company last week.

My real estates lawyer did it all for me. Too easy.

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I have been employed and are today running 3 companies in Thailand.

Yeah sure you do Bob.
Running three companies but spend all your time on this forum.

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

In the case that she is legally employed, she can seek help at Labor Department. The boss will get his arse fried

Possibly.. if the labour department decide to act on her situation, if she reports it to them

TiT

Edited by hotchilli
  • Thumbs Up 1

Of course, the optics of this look bad… very bad… but.. I think to be fair, we’d need to know context.. Larger employers might have more “wiggle” room to temporarily shift work around to cover .. smaller firms might not… Is the work specialized that only a handful can/do do, or it is generalized?   I also think it’s fair to look into her prior attendance record..  

Again, I do think there’s room for compassion and understanding.. but.. I have to balance that against business realities .. both sides have needs and in a fair solution, both sides must have some of their needs met.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Possibly.. if the labour department decide to act on her situation, if she reports it to them

TiT

Most likely she will not report it, as too many fail to do. That´s sad. If she report, they will take action.

3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

yeah I opened a company last week.

My real estates lawyer did it all for me. Too easy.

Yeah sure you do Bob.
Running three companies but spend all your time on this forum.

You can think or believe what you want. It´s like nothing to me. And no! I don´t spend all my time on this forum. All my companies are based online and do business online. Means, I am sitting in front of the computer. When take a break, I check the forum.

I wish you good luck with your company. Hope you can trust he did everything right. I just find it stupid to register and start a company, if you already need help with registration. Sounds like you will fail.

2 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

What are you worth?

I will toss you for it.

Now get back to work.

Why would I tell you that?

Does that mean you are a tosser? 🤣

Nah, you don´t tell me what to do.

Edited by Gottfrid

5 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You would have to do a bit more than toss him , you would have to bend over and do it properly if you want all he's worth 

Nah, that´s not my style. Are you building that comment on your own experience?

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You would have to do a bit more than toss him , you would have to bend over and do it properly if you want all he's worth 

Toss a coin.

Are you gay?

A reported post breaking forum rules has been removed.

Rule 28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting