Swiss man in Phuket acquitted of assaulting doctor

snoop1130

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, that does not show any contact at all, visually, so accusations of deliberate, or accidental, contact would just be conjecture.

I agree you can't see any contact and if she was kicked / assaulted she showed no signs of it when they got up and moved. If she had been kicked I would have expected to see some sort of reaction like grabbing her back in pain or at least turning or jumping at the time or the assault but no they just got up and walked away in the video.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

As I recall, his private garden was actually public land.

The Steps at the end of the garden were deemed to have been illegally built on public land.  

However, as he didn't build the steps, merely rented the property with them, it's logical to assume he had no idea the steps were illegal.

14 hours ago, Cameroni said:

You can't really see it from the video.

She doesn't react like someone who has been kicked.

Normally someone would touch or hold the place they were struck. They might walk with a limp or have some impediment or a reaction of shock at least. 

Let's face it, Thai women, whatever their social standing, are not known for telling the truth. In fact, they're some of the world's best liars.

IMO, He is just another parasite living on foundation aka charity money where a lot of it comes from overseas donations, ( I wonder how the Swiss donators feel about this.) in luxury accommodation like so many here do.  Will they still send him money to support his rich life style ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

IMO, He is just another parasite living on foundation aka charity money where a lot of it comes from overseas donations, ( I wonder how the Swiss donators feel about this.) in luxury accommodation like so many here do.  Will they still send him money to support his rich life style ?

It's <deleted> disgusting how many of the faux charities there are over here, I won't name the one I had an experience with, but I paid for a stray cat to have a weeks treatment at a hospital for feline panleukopenia (20k, he said why didn't you donate to us and we'd do the treatment when they didn't even answer the phone on the day) and the cat needed a months quarantine on release, arranged this with the charity and made a 5k donation to them, 3 days later the cat was walking up my staircase to the balcony and I ended up doing the quarantine myself to make sure it didn't infect other strays in the area

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

She doesn't react like someone who has been kicked.

Normally someone would touch or hold the place they were struck. They might walk with a limp or have some impediment or a reaction of shock at least. 

Let's face it, Thai women, whatever their social standing, are not known for telling the truth. In fact, they're some of the world's best liars.

A sad and pathetic comment. 

• Agree 2

Good news. Whatever means were used to get acquitted, it's good it doesn't create a case law (in case he would have been charged, sentenced, deported...). For all expats living here it's a good thing as if he would have been charged, we would have had to fear each time you hurt a Local. I'm not saying what he did is any good or that it's good to hurt/hit a local, but I was quite scared of it creating a case law.

I have those videos in mind of Chinese jumping on/under cars or other busses etc for getting compensation for being run over (google chinese throwing porcelain or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v11FIrJi720). Even that the roads are dangerous here, happy not to see people on the side of the road waiting for some wealthy driver to jump under the car.

It's always better to speak rather than hit in all cases but if you lose it, it sounds kind of crazy to lose you whole life just for a punch or kick.

There were my 2 cents, have a great coffee

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Ask yourself why this wealthy business man in an illegal mansion is found not guilty by a Thai court.

What illigal mansion ? he was renting a pool villa from a resort, the only thing illegal were the steps built on the beach.

• Agree 1

1.  The video doesn't prove that he kicked her deliberately. A court could not convict him on the basis of the doctor's accusation.

2.  The man was horrendously rude. I was shocked. But ignorant behaviour is not a crime.

3.  The doctor and her friend were wrong to go and sit at the top of the steps on what was clearly on the house owner's land. They could have sat on the wooden platform below. Then this incident would not have happened.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What illigal mansion ? he was renting a pool villa from a resort, the only thing illegal were the steps built on the beach.

I'm sure the villa was owned by a cop friend of the wife .

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, movsrusnj said:

This cost him a lot of money. His Thai lawyers likely treated him like a party boy and extracted as much as they could before passing him on to the next legal vulture. If he didn't pay off the family, imagine the number of fat brown envelopes that got passed around once it ended up in court. 

IMO Probably cost his charity not him. They need to do another audit on 'his' charity.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

Wait, this whole time there was no evidence of any crime?  Were there no witnesses?  Is it just a "he said, she said?"  Interesting and it feels like a very wrong ruling in my gut.  But I am fed news articles to enrage me, not to inform me... 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, stupidfarang said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As the Bangkok Post reports it is called giving him the benefit of the doubt - didn't he claim that the contact was accidental after he slipped while approaching her and that it was not a deliberate kick?  

along with the accidental verbal abuse from him and the threats from his wife

So you think that the case against him was about a few expletives and "threats" from his wife to someone who was thought to be a trespasser?  Seriously?  He was rude and she was verbally aggressive...so what?