Aussies now need an ETA to enter Thailand

Someday Thailand may charge for this.  Next year as a US citizen I would need to apply for ETIAS on line to enter the EU.  The cost will be 7 Euros but at least it will be valid for 3 years.  When I go to Australia I also needed to apply on line before arriving.  This was free.  

Like other posters, I wonder how this will work since I am here on a retirement extension and also need to get a reentry permit.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, oldestswinger said:

Well 6 years is exactly how long it took Thai immigration to get the online 90 day reporting to work more often than not

My impression is that any Thai with the requisite skills is likely to be living anywhere but Thailand ...

Either that or the government is simply unwilling to pay for the requisite skills (too much funds - usually around the 33% mark - having disappeared before the project actually gets underway).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Doesn't really answer the question. The airlines will need to stop self check ins if they need to monitor everybody to check for ESTA. 

Probably same as what happened for the covid requirements etc. Airline tells you to make sure you meet requirements of country you are going to - in this case they'll probably email before hand for a while to let people know there is a further requirement - if you don't comply your problem I think. 

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

The ETA for Singapore and electronic entry/exit gates work extremely well. We live in hope that Thailand can implement the same system, and ensure it works for those on retirement, marriage, work and business visas. Not just for tourists. Oh, and yes, keep it free. These ETAs can be an impediment to travellers and discourage travel. Time will tell.

Well Thailand is not Singapore..

Things work in Singapore can you say Thailand is same same..

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Probably same as what happened for the covid requirements etc. Airline tells you to make sure you meet requirements of country you are going to - in this case they'll probably email before hand for a while to let people know there is a further requirement - if you don't comply your problem I think. 

It is your problem but also the airline's. If you are refused entry to a country it is the responsibility of the airline that allowed you on the airplane to return you to your place of origin at the airline's expense. It will then become their problem if they allow you on the plane so, like during covid, they will have to reinstate their check in desk and not allow online checking. I know it sounds strange but I know people who do not have email addresses (or if they do they never check them)

3 hours ago, Slocum said:

You trying to use the Chinese as a punching bag ? Why Chinese...and not others..or yourself....

Also wondering, why not start with the many western LBH lingering here in bars, not integrating well and moaning all day long 🙂

Ah yea, they are of course the "big spenders" with their few thousand bucks... reminiscing in past glory days when they were considered wealthy... 🙂

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

All you people do is complain.  You lot must be fun to drink with.  Like a bunch of women.  What they are implementing is becoming a global standard and as a big economic player in the world Thailand needs to adapt and implement.  Give Thailand a break.  Stop whining and be thankful that you can live here.  

While I agree to an extent that people whinge at anything and we’re lucky to be there, it’s a legit enough question for those on retirement extensions who have a lot of steps to overcome. One does seem a bit trigger happy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, stoutfella said:

"it’s expected to be free of charge"

WHOOOOSH!

What was that?

A low flying pig.

Here they come.

nnnnnnnnn.PNG

Ps, They have just found a way to slip that forgotten about 300 baht tourist tax in. 

Amazing Thailand. :giggle:

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

All you people do is complain.  You lot must be fun to drink with.  Like a bunch of women.  What they are implementing is becoming a global standard and as a big economic player in the world Thailand needs to adapt and implement.  Give Thailand a break.  Stop whining and be thankful that you can live here.  

Thailand a big economic  player in the world! Almost drowned drinking my coffee. You do know this is a forum where people (used to be expats) chew the fat. Thailand has good points but by god it's full of bad points which if rectified would make it a paradise again. First step is to take off the rose coloured glasses....

4 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Doesn't really answer the question. The airlines will need to stop self check ins if they need to monitor everybody to check for ESTA. 

Are you claiming that all airlines aroud the world that fly in to the US have stopped self check in for those not requiring a visa.

i must have missed that one.

Oh, goody. Let me guess, you (perhaps) need to be present in your home country when applying, and/or the ETA will only be issued once every 365 days... No worries, Thailand. Personally, I won't bother to travel there often in the future.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Personally think Thailand should forego all visa and entry requirements and just let undocumented people come in willy-nilly. It works remarkably well in the UK. 

Besides all the Africans on Bangkok's lower Sukhumvit, perhaps that would also lead to more tourists from Syria and Afghanistan... 😆 

6 hours ago, Denim said:
20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

ETA applications will be processed online via the official Thai e-Visa website.

What could possibly go wrong ?

The official e-visa website is actually easy enough to use....now!

When it was first launched, it was a nightmare, but I last used it in Jan 2024 and there were fewer documents needed than the previous year. It was easy to navigate and I got my e-Visa in 5 days.

If this ETA is as easy as that, and I still do not need a visa for 60 day trip, I'm in favour.

We shall have to see, of course.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, marin said:
19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

So what happens if one has a retirement visa, and a re-entry permit?

Nothing its a totally different visa category. 

The OP says "The Thai ETA is required for travellers from nearly 100 visa-waiver countries, "

Although it doesn't say, I would think that it would only be required from those who already need a visa.

EG... UK PP holder on a 60 day holiday, used to need a tourist visa costing £30, now does not, but will need an ETA instead.

UK Retiree on an "O" with extension and re-entry permit, I would hope (!) that nothing changes.

As I say, that would be logical, but TIT.

Edited by VBF
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

UK Retiree on an "O" with extension and re-entry permit, I would hope (!) that nothing changes.

you hold active visa extension already, there will not be a need for a new one because you are going to have a re-entry permit as well. I am a champion worrier trust me. I would never worry that I could not get back into a country when I hold both an active visa extension and the reentry permit.  

They are not out to get you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marin said:

you hold active visa extension already, there will not be a need for a new one because you are going to have a re-entry permit as well. I am a champion worrier trust me. I would never worry that I could not get back into a country when I hold both an active visa extension and the reentry permit.  

They are not out to get you. 

There's a conspiracy that says "they" are 🙄 :sorry:

• Haha 1

When getting an e-visa to return to Thailand in Dec of 2021, this reminds me of the process of taking a selfie while holding my passport open to the photo page. And the website rejecting  multiple versions until finally it accepted it. 

1 minute ago, VBF said:

The OP says "The Thai ETA is required for travellers from nearly 100 visa-waiver countries, "

Although it doesn't say, I would think that it would only be required from those who already need a visa.

EG... UK PP holder on a 60 day holiday, used to need a tourist visa, now does not, but needs an ETA instead.

UK Retiree on an "O" with extension, I would hope (!) that nothing changes.

As I say, that would be logical, but TIT.

I am wondering if the ETA is required before boarding an aircraft to Thailand, or if it is a surprise sprung at Immigration.

I was once in a situation at Madrid.  I had been assured by the Spanish embassy in Canberra I did not need a visa, as I was only there for five days.

On arrival, I spent an uncomfortable couple of hours in a small room with two members of the Gardia Civil, complete with sub-machine guns.

When it comes to bureaucracy, I remember Einstein's remark about there being no limits to the Universe and human stupidity, except he was not sure about the Universe.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am wondering if the ETA is required before boarding an aircraft to Thailand, or if it is a surprise sprung at Immigration.

I was once in a situation at Madrid.  I had been assured by the Spanish embassy in Canberra I did not need a visa, as I was only there for five days.

On arrival, I spent an uncomfortable couple of hours in a small room with two members of the Gardia Civil, complete with sub-machine guns.

When it comes to bureaucracy, I remember Einstein's remark about there being no limits to the Universe and human stupidity, except he was not sure about the Universe.

Love it  😆 And the Thais do love their bureaucracy!

I read many times here that the Visa Authorities (Government?) and Immigration (Police?)  are different.

So, quite honestly, if it's available (and particularly if it's free) I shall apply for an ETA next time I visit Thailand. I always had to apply for a visa so the 15 minutes it should take is neither here nor there.

If not needed, no matter.

basically they are moving it from paper service to online service..and from manned immig gates to automatic unmanned gates..  they can speed up the arrival service which is great, and they can cut costs  on manned gates.all sounds good to me - until they go wrong.They always go wrong..

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Are you claiming that all airlines aroud the world that fly in to the US have stopped self check in for those not requiring a visa.

i must have missed that one.

I was not claiming anything. I was questioning how self check in can work with ETAs considering it is the airline's responsibility to repatriate if somebody arrives without the correct documentation.