Healthy home-cooked food in a remote location

simon43

This post doesn't really fit in the food sub-forums, so here is maybe the best place to ask for advice.

I'm in the process of moving into a peaceful, rural little house in south Thailand.  The nearest shop/restaurant is about 20 minutes drive away.  So this status encourages me to prepare my own healthy food at home.

Eating fresh fruit (bananas/water melons etc) is no problem, as is eating muesli cereal for breakfast.  But I'm thinking about hot food for main meals. 

I hear that air-fryers are very useful cooking aids, but I've never used one.

I do have a fridge and freezer, but the only items that I can think of buying frozen in quantity is chicken.  Remove the fatty chicken and it's a good source of protein.

How long do chicken eggs stay fresh in  a fridge?

Frozen fish??

I do make my own kefir milk, so that's healthy.

I'm not a big meat-eater (because beef is usually rubbish in Thailand unless you spend a large amount of money!).

JT, you're a food afficiado - any suggestions for hot, healthy food that I can prepare at home?

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

This post doesn't really fit in the food sub-forums, so here is maybe the best place to ask for advice.

I'm in the process of moving into a peaceful, rural little house in south Thailand.  The nearest shop/restaurant is about 20 minutes drive away.  So this status encourages me to prepare my own healthy food at home.

Eating fresh fruit (bananas/water melons etc) is no problem, as is eating muesli cereal for breakfast.  But I'm thinking about hot food for main meals. 

I do have a fridge and freezer, but the only items that I can think of buying frozen in quantity is chicken.  Remove the fatty chicken and it's a good source of protein.

Frozen fish??

I'm not a big meat-eater (because beef is usually rubbish in Thailand unless you spend a large amount of money!).

JT, you're a food afficiado - any suggestions for hot, healthy food that I can prepare at home?

Look for a Thai female cook to stay with you or visit daily to fix meals.

1 minute ago, Presnock said:

Look for a Thai female cook to stay with you or visit daily to fix meals.

Absolutely no!  I am very happy living alone and not relying on others 🙂  In any case, what does the average Thai know about healthy food? Very little I suspect!

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Absolutely no!  I am very happy living alone and not relying on others 🙂  In any case, what does the average Thai know about healthy food? Very little I suspect!

Actually home cooked Thai food is probably healthier than buying food for cooking from a grocery store - best to buy from a market.  unhealthy meals here are usually fast food - before those fast food places arrived in Thailand, the Thai diet was reputed to be one of the better ones in the world.  Home cooked here, usually uses fresher and many times organic foods as opposed that from the stores.  Just have  a cook visit you daily to prepare certain meals,. Read the  Dr. William Li diet books - he provides healthy food advice and even some recipes!

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggs here stay fresh longer than in other countries but I still refrigerate mine. They last until I use them anyway. You can freeze chicken but it can still freezer burn if not vacuum sealed. The same with fish, and you can get canned fish here to make casseroles with pasta or rice.  I cook 90% of what I eat at home, the rest my girlfriend cooks on weekends. I eat oatmeal everyday, along with other cereals when I bring them back from visiting the US. You can buy some healthy ones here but you'll have to order online or drive. You can buy fresh veggies about anywhere in Thailand, and if you have a crisper in the fridge they'll keep awhile, so cooking them daily is easy. Stir frying is okay if you use a non stick pan with a touch of oil for taste. You can eat Thai style and healthy f you just don't add too much sweet sauces or oil and sugar to what you cook. There are countless ideas online for stir frying food. Again, you can order many things foreign here online at Tops, Villa, Paleo Robbie and others.

One thing that I would like to try out is hydroponics on a small scale, growing fresh vegetables 🙂  Yes, I can buy them from a local market of course, but growing organic veggies sounds interesting.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I hear that air-fryers are very useful cooking aids, but I've never used one

I would stick to an electric oven, about 5k baht, you can make so much more in one of those. And can use sites like expat-foods for a vast array of foods, frozen pies, pizza, curries. I order about every 6 weeks. 

images(1).jpg.1c36c5d15eb25d628fee7aeb596d031f.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I would stick to an electric oven, about 5k baht, you can make so much more in one of those. And can use sites like expat-foods for a vast array of foods, frozen pies, pizza, curries. I order about every 6 weeks. 

images(1).jpg.1c36c5d15eb25d628fee7aeb596d031f.jpg

Thanks, not interested in expat foods, bit like coals to Newcastle!

• Sad 1

You could always get a double Air Fryer if you don't want a single ??

Ninja Foodi Dual Zone 7.6L Air Fryer  about 30,000 baht

down to KASHIWA Air Fryer, digital system, double basket model KW-802, capacity 4L + 4L @ 2,140 baht, + other doubles - loads of them most are 4,500 to about 8,000 baht.

Single Air Fryers are cheap if you have roon buy 2

I have 7.2 lt Bosch one is very good

On 9/5/2024 at 12:26 PM, simon43 said:

Frozen fish??

Airfryers are apparently good, but I don't eat any fried food so can't comment. 

Frozen Chicken and Fish are great, even frozen veg as a standby for when you run out of fresh veg.  

I don't bother refrigerating my eggs, but I buy them 20 at a time and eat them within 5 days (4 soft boiled eggs per day, sometimes more).

What are your eating goals?   For me food is just fuel, I don't eat because I want to, or because I like the food.  I eat because I have to; and I only eat food that will ensure I don't get fat. 

Lots of protein, multiple different steamed veggies.  

• Agree 1

On 9/5/2024 at 6:26 AM, simon43 said:

Frozen fish??

Don't waste your time asking JT, he likes eating, not cooking. There is a more appropriate place for this thread. One where people actually write about cooking. https://aseannow.com/forum/82-food-in-thailand/

My advice? Get a slow cooker and an inexpensive oven/air fryer. Don't waste your money on expensive gadgets.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/otto-35-sc-207-235-i2021944699-s6526730462.html

or

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/otto-sc-208-i346636507.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/otto-co-708-12-i2481478781-s8744024448.html

or

https://shopee.co.th/product/90321335/8652469303

With the slow cooker, you can make soups, stews, casseroles, curries without needing to attend too closely to them. You can then aportion and freeze. You'll soon have a variety of ready meals in your freezer.

The oven for roasted potatoes, chicken and pork steaks etc

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/otto-co-708-12-i2481478781-s8744024448.html

• Agree 1

On 9/5/2024 at 7:31 AM, simon43 said:

I prepare a wide range of International cuisine. French, Italian, Greek, Japanese, Chinese, Middle Eastern...

Don't limit yourself. If you are rural, you need to stock up on tins, jars, pulses etc What's wrong with buying a jar of Pesto Genovese and knocking up a quick pasta? Crush in a chilli to give it some heat.

Jars of olives. Cheese from expat shops who can deliver. Bread which you can freeze. You can even make your own. Get over to the Food in Thailand section. There are people there, who like myself, cook regularly at home.

Edited by NowNow

On 9/5/2024 at 1:31 PM, simon43 said:

Considering that the rest of the world's cuisine is considered as expat.... that seems like a drastic restriction.

I just have to have some Greek, Italian or Turkish food about once a month.😋  Luckily my Thai wife agrees!

Edited by gamb00ler

I live in a remote area along the Burmese border between Ranong and Chumphon, so I can relate to the challenges of cooking in rural Thailand.

In my early days, I was a cook in the army reserve and later trained as a chef. My motto now is K.I.S.S. when it comes to both cooking and cleaning up.

These days, I avoid frying due to health concerns and the mess, though I understand air fryers may offer healthier alternatives for those who enjoy fried foods.

That said, I’ve found I can achieve most of what I like with a rice cooker. I’ve made everything from fried eggs, omelettes, stir-fries, soups, noodles, curries, even banana cake and bread using just a rice cooker. My Toshiba electronic rice cooker is especially good because it keeps rice warm and fresh all day, and it handles most of the dishes I’ve mentioned.

As for supplies, I grow some fruit and vegetables and buy the rest locally. When I head to the city, I stock up on frozen meat. Chicken and fish work well—just break them down into smaller bags for freezing. Cans of tuna are also a useful standby. Eggs can last for weeks in the fridge, but I buy them weekly from the village. They’re another good protein staple, and I don’t refrigerate them.

When I stock up on frozen meat in the city, I also pick up a few Western items like baked beans, all-bran, and porridge bread butter etc. Occasionally there, I might treat myself to KFC or pizza, but that's a rare indulgence. Mostly, I stick to local produce and what’s available from the village market.

I recently found out from a neighbor that a daily food truck delivers fresh meat, fruits, and veggies, but I only rely on it when I’m running short.

• Like 1

My own system of home cooking relies on plenty of vegetables that I buy often in the market or Supermarkets.

When catering for one and maybe the "chore" and time of preparing something for a main course every day. the vegetables are already in a kilo bag from the store and much of how I prepare  blanche, bag up in single sized portions and frozen. Only takes 5 minutes from frozen to plate - want more detail, PM me.

I also buy fresh chicken, prawns or fish and those go in the freezer until I need  them.

I am always happy to make my own style of (basmati) rice or potatoes and sometime spaghetti for which I have the appropriate sauces including Indian, though I often make my own and again go in the freezer in bulk - portioned up!

In addition, I buy from  a Frenchman friend ready-made lasagnes, burritos and taco meals that I simply heat up in the microwave and prepare some of the frozen vegetables to accompany them - quite delicious.

That isn't my complete regular diet - I do eat eggs, mushrooms or tinned fish for quick snacks and lunch