Swedish Man Scammed by Thai Woman, Loses Over 300,000 Baht

14 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Not true, my Thai gf is different.

What he really means is that he is a loser who doesn't know who to trust and so creates categories of trustworthy and untrustworthy based on arbitrary criteria such as ethnicity. You know, a common garden variety bigot.

Edited by goatfarmer

15 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Why would they refuse, it was clearly a fraud. In the US, if you promise to marry someone and then don't you can be sued. Even if there is no law like this in Thailand, this was surely a fraud.

Horrible story. 300,000 is a lot of money, probably his life savings.

300 000 baht, Life savings? If he only saved 10k baht per month, which is nothing, then it would take smaller than 3 year to get the amount.

Also, if you only have 300k baht in life savings, then you should not even consider running a marry a person in another country.

That said, he should of course not get scammed, but if he had read up about how things are done here and all the risks with money and Thailand, then he could have been smarter.

Last: Ahmet, is imported!

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

How does someone decide to marry a gal, without meeting her first?

It's common practise in Muslim society. Similar in Korea as well. Western culture is not the norm, the rest of the world outnumber us.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Agree 1

Whilst I have a certain amount of empathy for this guy I can’t help thinking that he got exactly what he deserved. 
No matter how often we read of these scams we continue to see them play out on a regular basis. 
Stupid is as stupid does comes to mind. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Why would they refuse, it was clearly a fraud. In the US, if you promise to marry someone and then don't you can be sued. Even if there is no law like this in Thailand, this was surely a fraud.

As is 359,000 Baht

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

what your really trying to say is you can't trust any Thai and especially online or anything to do with money.

There... fixed it for you... :vampire:

Yes and I would agree. If you lend a Thai money 99% of the time they will take it as a gift.  Why do you think loan sharks need to use heavies and banks have so many bad loans. Have ever thought why there are so many second hand car dealers? Dealers who will charge for a 5 year old car the same as a new car?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, itsari said:

Are you sure that it is the most of us ?

How do you work that out?

Stupid statement 

Just talk with a couple on non-Americans about that country. Maybe talk about Trump and the 70 million Americans who support him.

Make sure you don't wear a MAGA hat, otherwise very few non-Americans will even want to talk to you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Because he's in love. You wouldn't understand.

How can anyone be in love with someone he has only seen and talked with on a laptop. I am thinking perhaps he is not a full quid especially when sending over 300,000 baht to a woman he has never met. 

• Agree 1

300,000 baht is not so much money and it is an absolute bargain considering the educational lesson he has received.   He should now be able to live the rest of his life without being scammed again as he will approach any future encounter with his eyes wide open.   I received this kind of education when I was younger (admittedly for a lot less money) and it continues to be one the best investments I have made.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, globalspark said:

Oh well another  Farang who has not read Private Dancer.The book should be made compulsory for any Farang going to Thailand. 

After spending   a long time in Thailand   always on short term   visas I have seen   and read and still read about these scams.300000 Baht is a lot of money but my friend lost   about 1  Million Dollars on what I call a scam in Thailand and when the last Dollar was spent she  was gone.

You can   take the horse to water but you cannot make him drink People are always offing advise   on these matters   but you always think   oh no my girlfriend is different.

We Western  people find it strange  that a women  there will marry a  farang when she has a husband in the village.In some cases relocate to a Western Countries with husband number 2 or 3   while her husband is in the village  drinking and partying on money sent each month from  wife.

I could write 10 books on the topic  and all true stories.

In my years living in Thailand my old mate Nick had a farang mate who had met and married a Thai lady. They married in Thailand, and after 5 years of living there they moved to the UK. After I think 5 years of living there she received her British passport, and the day after that she disappeared.

We all know of these cases, but should remember that there are also good women in Thailand. Another old friend, Gavin has been married to a Thai lady (Nong Khai area) for 15 years and AFAIK hasn't had any problems. He had a nice marital home built on her parents land.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Meanwhile The Soldier and his Thai wife are enjoying their spoils !!!!... 

A bar owner in Pattaya told me he had one girl working for him that was recieveing money from 20 men from Europe, he said she got him to lock it up in the safe and when she had enough saved up she bought another house, he said she was very  smart, the other girls gave their money to family and boyfriend. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

A bar owner in Pattaya told me he had one girl working for him that was recieveing money from 20 men from Europe, he said she got him to lock it up in the safe and when she had enough saved up she bought another house, he said she was very  smart, the other girls gave their money to family and boyfriend. 

I hear about this a lot , both from my girlfriend and others. She has a friend who told her she was getting 80,000 baht a month from a guy in Belgium. This girl has 2 kds. One from a Thai and another from a foreigner, and she has different men every day at her coffee shop close to my girlfriends house. I explained to my gf that she's a bullsh*ter, that 80K is more than many men make a month, let alone can afford to give away to someone they've never met. Of course he stopped his gifts to her, probably realizing what she's about.

1 hour ago, AdrianUk said:

Why is so many people saying 300,000 baht is a lot of money?  I thought it was a cheap lesson,  he should have walked away and blamed himself.  What normal/sane woman will agree to marry someone that fast, who they have never met?  That was a red flag. It was probably his idea and offered her money.

not everybody is pretending to earn 800.000.000.000 per day...

29 minutes ago, James105 said:

300,000 baht is not so much money and it is an absolute bargain considering the educational lesson he has received.   He should now be able to live the rest of his life without being scammed again as he will approach any future encounter with his eyes wide open.   I received this kind of education when I was younger (admittedly for a lot less money) and it continues to be one the best investments I have made.  

When you haven't got a penny to your name 300k Baht's a helluva lot of money! (Around £7,000).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Meanwhile The Soldier and his Thai wife are enjoying their spoils !!!!... 

AS they should.  Anytime suckers give money away, I hope the Thais have a sick party in the village.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Cameroni said:

As of 2016, there were 8 states in the United States which allow Heart Balm actions. These include:

Hawaii;

Mississippi;

Missouri;

New Mexico;

North Carolina;

South Dakota; and

Utah.

Not really the whole of the US is it.