New travel rules: Thailand’s ETA to shake up visa-free visitors

Nothing wrong with a well-thought-out and functioning immigration system that can be used for a long time and runs stably.

In the past, however, it was unfortunately always the case that constant changes and additional requirements were made in a relatively short period of time, which then ended in a patchwork quilt with many errors.

Just thinking about their TM30 debacle, where countless platforms are used, paper form, web online and even various apps including the Line app. To date, the requirements for when a new TM30 must be filled out vary depending on each regional immigration office.

How often the same data has to be entered/queried twice or three times. Or the many rubber stamps where the immigration officers have to manually set the different date times depending on the visa type. What was entered into the computer system is then manually transferred into the passports.

And much more, it shows me that the entire immigration data collection and administration system needs to be fundamentally overhauled.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The system will also run checks on criminal records and passport authenticity

So will the Thai authorities have access to the UK and other databases with this information?

Then the system must also have a GPS location of you?!
After all, ETA only BEFORE entering Thailand.
So it is mandatory to have a working smart phone with you with an app? (border runs)

Checking your time with the entry ETA, and automatic checking for a new ETA.
Automatic time clock. Thailand can determine what time you must stay out of Thailand for a new ETA.
They must also do the extension of TE digitally. Because of the correct clock setting.
Tracking device, which will register your movements in Thailand, data. 2 in 1 system.
Thai brother watching you.
Times wrong? They are coming to take you away aha.
And apparently the Aussies have already been chosen for a test.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

One thing sure, if they don’t get this right ,(  like the Thai Pass for Covid shambles, ) then they are going to loose a lot of tourists especially the ones that stay a few months during EU winters. I’m already looking at a different option just in case.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I am not worried about myself (Non O annual extension) . I am more worried about Lao friends who do border run every 45 days.

One of them was already denied entry at Don Muang recently  (he entered Thailand too many times according to IO). He had to fly back to Laos then came back by land without any problem . Most probably it will be more complicated for him in the future.

It can be more complicated for first time entry of people older than 50 yo : If they intend to apply for a Non-O visa then annual extension, they  will have to show an outbound flight ticket. And maybe for me, if I am not in Thailand on due date for extension renewal!

4 hours ago, VBF said:

Thanks but I  wouldn't say that's true, certainly not now.

What you DO have to do is complete every stage of the application in order to progress it so if a file is called for, one must be supplied.

None of the requirements were difficult to comply with

Also, at the end, the system reviews the application and I think a blank document would fail.

And for many people it took a week or more to even get this evisa and many just had to come visa exempt for 30 days because it took so long. It should take an hour or so at most to get an evisa if system is done right. Ever try to get an evisa from Turkey or many other countries? It's quick. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

One has to assume that you are applying that statement to all countries that have, or intend to have, a similar scheme implemented.

Or maybe you are just a bigot.

Stupid comment alert! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

How about people who like to travel around?? They have book all accommodations before??? Great for tourists, more paperwork and hussle .. Tourists will flock in again, no visa anymore but we introduce something different, but almost same

So, what you're saying is same same but different?

5 minutes ago, James9999 said:

My thought as well. How does having to pre-book flights and accommodation differ from applying for a visa? The whole beauty of visa exempt is you can just up and go. Now you will have to risk booking the flight and hope the ETA is approved and approved in a timely manner and have a day by day itinenary to know where to pre-book accommodation. I remember during the covid restrictions desperate people due to fly the next day and still waiting for visa approval. No thank you.

It's just common sense to have a dummy ticket and 20K in cash when you do visa waiver now, so not that much different to when the ETA comes.

3 hours ago, theblether said:

The Australian e-visa ( mentioning that as it's in the OP ) asks if you have spent more than one year in jail. Bizarrely I don't know if that's an honesty question or if they actually check if you say no 🤣

If you say yes there is a supplementary question: did you meet Thammanat Prompao?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 2

What I find interesting is that this ETA is going to be issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs not Immigration which gives some hope that it will be done efficiently

I have observed over the years that they are very efficient in issuing Thai passports with minimal documentation required, the passport is received in three days and at half the cost of what I pay for my Australian passport.

During Covid they were responsible for issuing the Health rentry document which I easily obtained within a few hours online.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geisha said:

One thing sure, if they don’t get this right ,(  like the Thai Pass for Covid shambles, ) then they are going to loose a lot of tourists especially the ones that stay a few months during EU winters. I’m already looking at a different option just in case.

What was the problem with theThai Pass very easy to obtain my came through in a couple of hours

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, 818Pilot said:

Goodbye border runners and those who try to live in Thailand without a proper visas. If, and this is a big If, it’s implemented correctly the system should deny anyone from unlimited visa exemption entries. 

What harm do border runners do you exactly?  

• Agree 2