What was your job (profession) when you moved to Thailand

still kicking

Is this a new census study? Who is the social scientist behind this survey? it could yield some very trivial and highly useless information that will serve as a way to use ones thinking to dwell on simply nothing of substance at all.

Β 

Remember what Champ said in Anchor Man: The census is a conspiracy to make your children gay.

Β 

Oh and before I came to Thailand I had a job. I know I know, it is very very unusual but I did work.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, lungbing said:

Arrived in UK on an inflateable boat did you?

If you would have ever read (but probably not understood) a post of his', you would understand how misguided your comment is.

Β 

Edited by Lorry
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, lungbing said:

Arrived in UK on an inflateable boat did you?

Your sophisticated sense of humor is very subtle. But actually there are people here that just tell the truth.Β 

Edited by Dirk Z
  • Love It 2

I was a federal agent in the U.S. of A.Β  In 23 years worked my way up from a GS-07 grade to GS-13 Step 6 grade.

Β 

But, I have not yet moved to Thailand.Β  Just visit during the summer now, when the grand kids are out of school.Β 

Edited by radiochaser

On 9/9/2024 at 1:34 AM, still kicking said:

What was your job (profession) when you moved to ThailandΒ 

I was working Songkhla, I moved here for work, saving my travel time.

Β 

Still in the same profession.Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

I was on permanent disability. Government docs certified me immediately. I think I wore out working as many as three jobs simultaneously, not so much for income as I just loved doing stuff.

Thank goodness for the internet as I am limited in what I can do physically!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my trade was a painter & decorator after an apprenticeship, then several years in the armed forces but after that a workplace injury meant I could no longer do my trade so studied/got a diploma in writing & photography as something I could do without physical work. I was alsoΒ  was heavily involved in growingΒ  and creating new varieties of plumeria/frangipani and recognized around the worldas anΒ  expert in the field, I have been flown to the US & Australia to do talks etcΒ  but basicallyΒ  I am retired from all physicalΒ  work and considered disabled but keep up with helping people with their trees etc online to keep my mind active

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All HR-related for nearly 25 years: employment law, immigration, international recruitment and the all-encompassing 'advisory' roles; 2016 I returned to work, undertaking 3-6mth contracts mostly in NZ while living here but stopped in August 2022 weary of the travel and costs/availability of accommodation. Had a final two weeks to finalise my part-time life there, visit friends, back home end of that month.

Β 

In reality I was absolutely sick of other people's problems, disciplinaries and terminations (though some were 'entertaining' in their way, that's another story).

Β 

I had a moment's silence in memory of my working life a few weeks ago, August 15 2022 at 2.51pm was the time I signed off a Wellington contract for the final time, with probably the worst employer of my working life which reinforced my feeling it was time to stop. It was timely as recent government has slashed staff numbers and limited contractor/consultancy roles. I've been offered online work but 'enough is enough'.

Β 

Against my advice, daughter #1 graduated 2022 with a degree in HR Management and Employment Law. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

IBM ,thru used to have a building at North Sydney?

Are they still around ?

Β 

I worked at their Darling Harbour offices.Β  Believe they're still their.

17 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Β 

Yes indeed. When I was based in London from 1966 to 1990, I helped in the investigation of The Kray Twins, The Richardson Gang, Denis Neilson (the mass murderer) and John Duffy (the railway rapist and murderer of Ann Lock, Alison Day and Marje Tamboezer, the young Dutch girl). I also assisted in the investigation of several terrorist attacks at that time involving Irish and Muslim extremists. Yasser Arafat comes to mind and his highjacking of passenger airplanes for hostages.

Was you also involved in the wrongful conviction of the Guildford Four?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Β 

No. I was a biologist and at that time cases involving explosives were dealt with by a special military forensic unit in South East London.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bsc in biology and Geology in the 70's, then worked as biochemist in a cannery, which closed. Next junior geologist on oil rigs in Libya, working conditions were pretty awful. Returned to UK and did a Masters in Freshwater biology (my passion). Then research that went nowhere. Offered a job with a Uranium mining company in Australia, but permission to mine refused by government - still in ground to this day. So made redundant. Back to UK hoping for job in the water industry, but no one hiring. Spent 18 months looking so career change to IT as civil servant for over 20 years.

Β 

Then IT work outsourced to IBM - worst employer ever. They tried to make me quit by giving me impossible Projects, then made me redundant. To old for new job, looked for 2 years then retired, divorced nagging Lying wife and came to Thailand to fish.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2024 at 8:34 PM, still kicking said:

I am just curios what job you had prior coming to Thailand or still have? Did you have any high school education or Bachelor or Master degree? Mine is quite simple. I grew up in a small town in Germany (hence my writing) went to public school and tech school migrated to Australia (the best place on earth) worked for a company in Sydney and moved west.

Started my own company sold it after about 25 years, moved to Thailand for a number of years and moved back to OZ after losing money in LOS. I know some posters don't live in Thailand but that is not important. I just like to hear your story good or bad. Thanks for listening.Β  Β 

Before moving to Thailand, I was self-employed within the music industry for 30 years, before I've saved enough for an early retirement. I kept the publishing part of the business. I was educated in navigation and have a commercial pilot theory, worked for 10 years with operational planning for a major airline. Before that I played rock music, was a DJ and stage manager in a theatre. I also toured one summer with a larger circus, doing advertising.

Crazy career life.Β  Medical Technologist, Aerospace Engineer, and now Enrolled Agent with the US IRS self-employed owning a tax prep business. Degrees in Chemistry, Medical Technology, and Chemical Engineering putting myself through university 2x with almost no loans, worked while in school. Now enjoying the good life here in Thailand!

22 hours ago, itsari said:

Very immature question isn't itΒ 

How would he personally be responsible if he was?Β 

Β 

I must admit that CSI job would of been busy during the 1970's & 80's in the UK , imagine doing that job in Northern Ireland back then 😲

Β 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2024 at 1:34 AM, still kicking said:

Did you have any high school education or Bachelor or Master degree?

Phd, gynaecological.Β 

Β 

Still working as aΒ  gynaecologist, girls in Soi 6 keep me busy.Β 

Β 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 9/10/2024 at 10:26 AM, radiochaser said:

I was a federal agent in the U.S. of A.Β  In 23 years worked my way up from a GS-07 grade to GS-13 Step 6 grade.

Β 

But, I have not yet moved to Thailand.Β  Just visit during the summer now, when the grand kids are out of school.Β 

Is that like the FBI ??