Man Rescued After Being Trapped in Elevator for Two Hours Due to Power Outage During Storm

Georgealbert

9 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The elevator doors were not completely sealed, allowing for a fan to be placed to help with ventilation. The man, who was drenched in sweat after nearly two hours inside, was eventually freed without injury.

All's well that ends well.

A pneumatic device should be used to force the lift door?
Is there no way to unscrew the panels around the doors and easily unlock the mechanism?
The maintenance that needs to be done to that mechanism regularly is really not going to be done from inside the lift car.

I had a similar terrible experience over the weekend. 3BB went down for 4 or 5 hours. I had no contact with the outside world and couldn't even get out the results of the footy finals!

I was a ball of sweat when I was finally able to get reconnected.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, black tabby12345 said:

On a hot summer day, dehydration can kill if trapped in the iron box for hours.

Colonel Nicholson suffered much worst, his only symptoms was his stooping walk!

13 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

As stated above, I understood there always was a special key slot for fire and emergency crews to manually unlock the doors.  I could be wrong but using the jaws of life to open the doors may have done some damage to the door operating mechanism that will need possibly expensive repairs.  I had an elevator experience recently that I would not want to repeat.  I lived in a Jomtien condo on the 28th floor.  At 9:00 one morning the power to all four elevators in the building was turned off for routine maintenance.  I found this out about 9:30 as I had to leave for appointments with a lawyer and a court appearance later.  On the way out, office staff told me power would be back on around 2:00 in the afternoon.  As I had no choice, I had had to walk down 28 floors.  I am handicapped and walk with a cane.  I side stepped all the way taking about 45 minutes.  What if there had been others with a medical emergency at that time?  I don't live in that condo anymore.

In our condo they only take one out of the four lifts out of service for maintenance at a time. There are always at least 3 working, assuming the building has electricity of course.

21 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Assuming he’s not disabled, he’s a lazy git for not taking the stairs. 

A bit harsh..... I would be unlikely to take 4 flights of stairs....one gets out of breath or fears a heart attack when older.