My name is Colin Neville from Dorset, I am not ‘Bob’

BarBoy

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Lol, not sure why he didn't give the answer, since it was a simple series/parallel resistance calculation that even a first year electronics student could calculate.

Anyway, a quick calculation gives about 198.7 ohms and so using I=V/R, we get a current of about 0.12A (hope I haven't made any maths errors!!)

But I'm sure you didn't know the answer, did you Bob?

I learnt all that stuff in 1960 and 1961. Never used it since and have long forgotten how to do it.

19 hours ago, BarBoy said:

hi, since i have joined this forum i have seen many posters refer to me as bob. i have no idea who bob is and i dont know abyone called bob. my name is colin neville, 68 years old from dorset, I attended poole high school and graduated from dorset college majoring in electronics. whoever this bob character is it isn’t me, so please stop calling me that. thank you.

19 hours ago, BarBoy said:

hi, since i have joined this forum i have seen many posters refer to me as bob. i have no idea who bob is and i dont know abyone called bob. my name is colin neville, 68 years old from dorset, I attended poole high school and graduated from dorset college majoring in electronics. whoever this bob character is it isn’t me, so please stop calling me that. thank you.

BOB , I got your message. I promise not to refer to you as Bob ok. Bob ??

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, BarBoy said:

what the hell is going on here and who the hell is this bob!!! my god, if i would have known this is what would happen i woudlnt have signed up. i am not bob, never have been and never will be. i am colin and ive been living in thailand for 5 years. i have some issues that need sorting out and i thought this would be a good place to air them. perhaps i was wrong?

Hang around "georgiageorgia" will have a session with ya!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MarkBR said:

My guess is 450 Ohms.  No idea whether I am correct as the last time I did physics was 49 years ago.

No problem, but completely wrong lol 🙂 .  Resistors in parallel always have a combined value that is less than the value of the lowest-value resistor. So 100 and 250 ohms in parallel will have a total value less than 100 ohms.

Anyway, this is not a Physics class! Perhaps Bob (I mean Barboy) could remind us of some of the topics from his BSEE course, since his lecturers seem to have forgotten to teach basic resistor circuit theory 🙂

20 hours ago, BarBoy said:

OK,  Bob, whatever you say.

But... if what you wrote above is actually true, then it was truly awful idea to post this...

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

Congratulations on graduating with a major in electronics.  Please tell me the total resistance of this circuit and the current:

circuit.png.265520cad8f89c6fd9a879e832ed8796.png

If he is from Dorset, then electronics is limited to:

red to red and black to black,

switch it on and stand well back!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

Congratulations on graduating with a major in electronics.  Please tell me the total resistance of this circuit and the current:

circuit.png.265520cad8f89c6fd9a879e832ed8796.png

For anyone wanting to have a go: "Ohms law states that the current in any electrical circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. Providing the temperature remains constant." 

At least it was in the early 1960s, Keir Starmer's probably gone and changed it now.

• Like 1

Forum owners must love Bob. Comes back as BarBoy, starts 2 threads which have 223 replies and 7.7k views. 

And all he's said is what Bob has said hundreds of times in that he gets drunk and constantly cheats on his wife with Ladyboys, which he doesnt think is gay. Real upstanding bloke 😀

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, BarBoy said:

what the hell is going on here and who the hell is this bob!!! my god, if i would have known this is what would happen i woudlnt have signed up. i am not bob, never have been and never will be. i am colin and ive been living in thailand for 5 years. i have some issues that need sorting out and i thought this would be a good place to air them. perhaps i was wrong?

If you're looking for a Rolex, I know a guy who knows a guy.

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

I learnt all that stuff in 1960 and 1961. Never used it since and have long forgotten how to do it.

If you are 68 years old, you were born in 1956. I can see why you would forget, being 4 or 5 years old. I think you are bob or boob.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:
18 hours ago, MarkBR said:

My guess is 450 Ohms.  No idea whether I am correct as the last time I did physics was 49 years ago.

I’ve resisted having a go….too tired now, need to recharge my batteries….but I’ll have a go tomorrow…….spark up a few brain cells.

Who are you kidding? You have pm'd @Crossy and he hasn't answered yet.

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

If you are 68 years old, you were born in 1956. I can see why you would forget, being 4 or 5 years old. I think you are bob or boob.

I am 80 years old and was born in 1944. I was taught that along with inductance and capacitance also in series and parallel in my first year of training as a Boy Entrant at RAF Cosford in 1960. I was also taught the resistance colour codes 

Black

Brown

Red

Orange

Yellow

Green

But

Violet

Grey

White

Also a gold band was within 5% tolerance, silver within 10% and no colour was within 20% tolerance. Totally useless nowadays.

I also was born and raised in Poole, plus I went to Henry Harbin secondary modern  school from 1955 to 1955, when it was in the area behind the Poole Town football stadium complete with a speedway cinder motor cycle track, the old fire station, the old telephone exchange and the railway line.

Poor try, but I am neither Bob (who is on my ignore list) nor Boob whatever that might be.

I can tell you lots more about Poole but unless you lived there in the 1940s, 50s and 60s it would be completely meaningless to you.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

[quote]

Also a gold band was within 5% tolerance, silver within 10% and no colour was within 20% tolerance. Totally useless nowadays.

[/quote]

Bill, as an 'old skool' shortwave radio ham, I use the resistor colour code almost everyday 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't been here long, but even I recognized Bobs standard two sentence reply, merely without his customary signature of a simple bob🤣

Don't cheat on your wife old bean and guilt wont be an issue. Or, divorce and it's also no longer an issue🤣

Edited by IsaanExpat
  • Like 1