6 Dead, 2 Missing As Typhoon Yagi Hits Thailand's North

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Siam Rath

Thailand’s northern regions are reeling from the devastation caused by Typhoon Yagi, which brought relentless rains leading to deadly floods and landslides. As of now, six people have been confirmed dead, including four in Chiang Mai and two in Chiang Rai, while two others remain missing.

In Chiang Mai’s Mae Ai district, the overflowing Mae Ai river triggered landslides and flash floods, isolating around 2,000 residents in villages such as Ban Doi Laem, Doi Lang, Pang Ton Duea, and Pang Saen Kluea. Rescue efforts are underway, but the situation remains dire. Emergency teams, including soldiers from the Pha Muang task force and Border Patrol Police, have been mobilised to clear the roads and reach the stranded villagers.

Tragically, the body of a four-year-old boy was found today, adding to the earlier discovery of a five-month-old baby girl’s body. Two women have also been confirmed dead, and three residents have been injured. The search continues for the two missing individuals.

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has announced that aid is en route to approximately 9,000 affected families in the flooded northern provinces. The health ministry has deployed medical staff, volunteers, and rescue workers to relocate elderly residents to safer areas.

The Thai Meteorological Department has issued warnings of more heavy rains expected until next Tuesday, heightening the risk of additional flash floods. “Between Sep. 13 to 17, please be careful of possible danger caused by heavy to very heavy rainfall,” it stated.

While Thailand is no stranger to annual monsoon rains, climate change is intensifying weather patterns, making destructive floods more common. Since the start of the current rainy season, 29 people have lost their lives due to weather-related disasters, according to the kingdom’s emergency operation centre, reported Thai Newsroom.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-12

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

34 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Once drove a Thai lady from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. We crossed a bridge over one of the larger rivers and she said that that river flowed UP to CR. I said dont you mean down to CR. She replied no, this is the only river in Thailand that flows uphill. Sadly she believed it and no amount of explaining could convince her.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Once drove a Thai lady from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. We crossed a bridge over one of the larger rivers and she said that that river flowed UP to CR. I said dont you mean down to CR. She replied no, this is the only river in Thailand that flows uphill. Sadly she believed it and no amount of explaining could convince her.

stubborn on top of ignorence: ayayay that's a wrong combi 😎🎈

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

It actually starts in Loei, runs south for aways, then East, forming the border between Loei and Petchabun, before turning North and flowing into the Mekong.

But that's a lot different than "flowing uphill". (I suspect that "flowing North" and "flowing uphill" mean the same thing to some people. Remember, a lot of elderly in rural areas of the country never learned to read or write at all.)

Though the Chao Praya river sort of "flows north" or "uphill" often during the rainy season and when there's a high tide pushing the water back up the river (and making the flooding worse from Bangkok to Ayyuthaya).

Which is why they often have to station those special boats in the river to try and use their propellers to force more water out into the Gulf to reduce the flooding in the city.

When you say starts in Loei do you mean the province of Loei or the city of Loei because it definitely does not start in the city of Loei, it starts somewhere in the region of Phu Luang which is a number of kilometres south of Loei City

Actually, the Kok river gets it's start in Myanmar, flows south into Thailand, then East until it passes by the Chiang Rai airport where it too turns "uphill" (flows North) and empties into the Mekong, 285 kms from it's start.

(Can't find data for the length of the Loei River though.)

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Did you ever go up on her?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

The Tonle Sap in Cambodia flows both ways depending on how high the Mekong is.

8 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

When you say starts in Loei do you mean the province of Loei or the city of Loei because it definitely does not start in the city of Loei, it starts somewhere in the region of Phu Luang which is a number of kilometres south of Loei City

Yes, I am well aware of where it starts having traced it back to it's headwaters when I was looking for it's source and the directions it travelled before reaching the Mekong.

It actually starts in Na Noi, on the west side of the large hill that's about 27(ish) kms South-West of Loei city. (I call it a hill because compared to the Rocky Mountains I grew up in/around, it's just a wee bump sticking out of the ground).

Which reminds me. The Columbia and the Fraser River also start off flowing North for a considerable period before suddenly turning and running South and eventually emptying into the Pacific.

And it seems to confuse a lot of people when talking about the Nile river as it seems "wrong" to say it flows North because it looks (on a map) like it should be flowing "downhill" (to the south).

Perception. When up is down and north is south, depending on which way you look at it.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Yes, I am well aware of where it starts having traced it back to it's headwaters when I was looking for it's source and the directions it travelled before reaching the Mekong.

It actually starts in Na Noi, on the west side of the large hill that's about 27(ish) kms South-West of Loei city. (I call it a hill because compared to the Rocky Mountains I grew up in/around, it's just a wee bump sticking out of the ground).

Which reminds me. The Columbia and the Fraser River also start off flowing North for a considerable period before suddenly turning and running South and eventually emptying into the Pacific.

And it seems to confuse a lot of people when talking about the Nile river as it seems "wrong" to say it flows North because it looks (on a map) like it should be flowing "downhill" (to the south).

Perception. When up is down and north is south, depending on which way you look at it.

So am I, I have lived full/part time in Loei for 26 years. Everything is bigger in America 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Expat68

40 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

In Cochise County in Southeast Arizona the San Pedro 'River' flows north out of Mexico. It is only ankle to knee deep in most spots; however, during the monsoon season it carries more water.

16 minutes ago, Fortean1 said:

In Cochise County in Southeast Arizona the San Pedro 'River' flows north out of Mexico. It is only ankle to knee deep in most spots; however, during the monsoon season it carries more water.

“however, during the monsoon season it carries more water.“

Thank you for this valuable information.  I /we would of never known.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ianwheldale said:

Here we go, surprised it took so long. All due to climate change! It's rainy season and it's raining. Nothing worse than the first year I was here in 2017.

Totally agree, they have to spout the rhetoric at every opportunity to keep up the globalist agenda.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1