Digital wallet to the rescue: PM bets on cashing in for Thailand’s economy

snoop1130

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The digital wallet programme aims to stimulate the economy. If such a stimulus is still not enough, we are ready to restructure the economy to become a digital one.”

How will restructuring the economy to become a digital one stimulate it?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, lahgon29 said:

Don't understand you, mate. I never get charged double at markets or anywhere else, and it's been 12 years here. My missus doesn't like people who rip off my/her money.. 

Thais don't seem to look down on me either.. Treat them with respect and humour and see what happens.. Mind you, I am in Issarn.. Friendlier people up this way, maybe. 

Go go underwater world in pattaya, any national park, thai hospitals, sny museum. If you havent noticed its cos you dont want to. Of course the beer and ciggies are the same price.

Did you ever notice the local markets dont price their items for all to see? Wonder why? Or maybe you dont got shopping by yourself. A lot different when acconpanied by a thai.

BTW i never said all thais are bad so please dont lecture me on treating them with respect etc... neen here a bit longer than you so maybe i had the opportunity to see more.

PS  i didnt say tesco or makro... i said local market... very different bunch of beans

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

BTW i never said all thais are bad so please dont lecture me on treating them with respect etc... neen here a bit longer than you so maybe i had the opportunity to see more.

".....even the lowest of thais still looks down on us as they say 'falang' with a smirk...."

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

".....even the lowest of thais still looks down on us as they say 'falang' with a smirk...."

Knit picking? I didnt say all. You want to read into it what you want ho ahead... if you didnt understand that it means that some thais in every category of thai be it hi so or even the disenfranchised  harbor resentment against foreigners well then you must struggle when peopld make inuendos or use double meanings

56 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Go go underwater world in pattaya, any national park, thai hospitals, sny museum. If you havent noticed its cos you dont want to. Of course the beer and ciggies are the same price.

Did you ever notice the local markets dont price their items for all to see? Wonder why? Or maybe you dont got shopping by yourself. A lot different when acconpanied by a thai.

PS  i didnt say tesco or makro... i said local market... very different bunch of beans

Underwater world Pattaya? Same as Thai price. Pink ID card..50/50 on Parks. I don't get the 10baht payment for hospitals, as I'm not Thai.. Military hospital cheap. Doctor's clinic, dentist, optometrist.. Same as Thai. 

Yes, I am accompanied by the wife at markets etc as my Thai is atrocious

I'm not lecturing, mate .. You say the Thais smirk as they say "farang".. I don't agree.. Not in my circles.

Don't care how long you've been here.. I'm 12 years and 25 more intermittently.. I know enough. 

I won't be wasting my time replying to you again. We're going to the market. 

Have a great day. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, lahgon29 said:

Don't understand you, mate. I never get charged double at markets or anywhere else, and it's been 12 years here. My missus doesn't like people who rip off my/her money.. 

Thais don't seem to look down on me either.. Treat them with respect and humour and see what happens.. Mind you, I am in Issarn.. Friendlier people up this way, maybe. 

I have had the same in Phuket, Surat Thani and Bangkok while living there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

how do they possibly think that indebting the country more will help?

--> nearly forgot... trillion is bigger than billion and the taxes on long term foreigners is supposed to bring in close to a trillion...

we will fund this spoof and still have no rights. even the lowest of thais still looks down on us as they say 'falang' with a smirk and then proceed to charge us double for our vegetables at the local market

What a bad attitude lots of Hate in this post and what has this got to do with the topic, you need to keep on topic

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

There is no way the Digital Wallet will show any net positive results, except maybe vote buying for PT. In fact, I am quite positive it will do more damage than good to the country.

Totally agree  what will happen when the Drug addict, alcoholics and gambles get there hands on it  is it going to help them ????

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Digital money and Central Bank Digital Currency means; negative interest rates, tax at source, zero privacy, social credit scores, debanking for perceived infractions, and everything 100% dependent on Govt power sources and internet. It is the opposite of personal wealth and financial freedom.

You may be correct, But all Thais can see is 10000baht Thais have no foresight 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I have had the same in Phuket, Surat Thani and Bangkok while living there.

you dont agree with me, fine... watch this to see what is possibly brewing. i just love people wearing rose tinted glasses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0nMZY3D4A

should give you some insight about what the gvt thinks about us... let alone thais

Edited by Pouatchee

5 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

There is no way the Digital Wallet will show any net positive results, except maybe vote buying for PT. In fact, I am quite positive it will do more damage than good to the country.

That's the intention. But perhaps they should have done it nearer to the next election. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

They are so very wrong.. It will be a burden for many years  to pay back the loans and will cost investments.. They should push the same sex marriage bill to be signed asap as in all countries all over the world the economy has a lot of benefit of it. Many gays in Thailand are waiting to get marrried, which will stimulate the local businesses, as for dinners, shows, music, flowers, gifts, clothes, and many more... but it is still not signed and published for an unknown reason..  And after it is signed there is still a 4 month waiting so nothing  that can boost the economy can be done before June next year... And that is much cheaper than give everyone 10k

I'm in no way against gay marriage but fail to see any change in economics with or without a "marriage" bill approval. Gay couples are already dating, going out to dinner, socializing,  etc. Other than an actual ceremony and party, which is a one time event,  i cant see much other change or impact that would happen. Can you expand on that more to educate me/us on this issue?