KFC in decline?

DUNROAMIN

Hi to all, I am not the biggest fan of KFC, however, where I live there is little choice in fast food chain restaurants. We visit KFC every couple of months for a quick lunch. WOW, KFC has either changed its receipe with its chicken or outsourced to another company to provide their chicken. We had a mixture of Original and Zinger, my Original was disgusting, not even close to the original KFC I used to know, it was bland and dry. I have had better chicken from 5 star and street vendors.  That was my last visit to KFC. I guess this is what happens when corporate greed outways quality and service.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Hi to all, I am not the biggest fan of KFC, however, where I live there is little choice in fast food chain restaurants. We visit KFC every couple of months for a quick lunch. WOW, KFC has either changed its receipe with its chicken or outsourced to another company to provide their chicken. We had a mixture of Original and Zinger, my Original was disgusting, not even close to the original KFC I used to know, it was bland and dry. I have had better chicken from 5 star and street vendors.  That was my last visit to KFC. I guess this is what happens when corporate greed outways quality and service.

You have to remember that KFC here is owned and operated by a Thai company, and they own the rights to the logo and name. I have lived in numerous countries, including Pakistan and here, and yes, there is very little in the taste department of the NA original.  

I find the quality sucks but then again I found the same thing the first time I tried a Rotten Ronnies and AW

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

You have to remember that KFC here is owned and operated by a Thai company, and they own the rights to the logo and name. I have lived in numerous countries, including Pakistan and here, and yes, there is very little in the taste department of the NA original.  

I find the quality sucks

That's a shame, because I enjoyed a monthly (or so) change of pace from KFC.  I miss cole slaw...  KFC's cole slaw isn't the best in the USA, but it was the best I found in LOS.

I wonder if the franchise agreement specifies that they must use ingredients sold to them by KFC, or stay true to the Colonel's recipe?

Fried chicken is my most common street food meal.  I buy a small jar of the Thai dipping sauce when I check into my hotel, and I always have something to munch on if I get the hangries.  I've experienced good then bad street fried chicken, even from the same nice lady.  I always chalked it up to how old the oil was (and whether they fried fish or old socks between chicken batches).

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

For fast food Chicken McDonald's is pretty decent.   Crispy spicy is more then edible. KFC I think there is an issue with the oil they use here.

I agree. I ate in one a few weeks ago after a long absence and the food upset my stomach.

I must be lucky, live Patong price outrageous, however few mins away Kathu Kfc (Caltex) Great tasting original recipe, always available, great service from staff & good value.

My only gripe is putting Mash in the Gravy (silly Oz & US) as an Engrishman I want to dip my chips in the gravy - why in heavens would I want to dip them in Mash & gravy duh.

Chalong (Villa Mrkt) used to do just gravy & also gravy & mash for the weirdo's... They dont now. So I buy ruddy mash I dont want for a bit of gravy.

Half commenting here obvs dont like kfc so why bother... Maccy D's  Rank! 

Go buy BBQ chicken ? But its not kfc is it... The Colonel's 11 secret herbx & spices...

Next someone will tell us how to make at home... But its Not kfc 5555 

I have to admit I have not had KFC in many years, but the last time I tried it with my Thai woman, we both agreed that it was the lowest quality fried chicken we had ever had, anywhere in the world, during the course of our entire lifetimes, so needless to say we've never gone back. 

• Agree 2

KFC, Mickie D's, BK - all the same. The smell is oh so tempting, but when you actually bite into the meal, you realize what a mistake you just made.

The only item I truly enjoy is the double fish filet. Thailand is one of the few countries that offer it, and it's the main reason I stay here.

• Haha 1

KFC original recipe is nice, but it's rarely ready. You have to wait. The one the Thais like is bland, but they call it spicy, lol. Their fries are crap and portion size is a joke. Never fill the packet. I like their chicken burgers though.

McDonald's is the best of the big fast food chains around. Best fries and their iconic burgers always hit the spot.

Dominos is good for chain pizza. Beats the local ones, easy.

Edited by FruitPudding

3 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

KFC, Mickie D's, BK - all the same. The smell is oh so tempting, but when you actually bite into the meal, you realize what a mistake you just made.

The only item I truly enjoy is the double fish filet. Thailand is one of the few countries that offer it, and it's the main reason I stay here.

They're not all created equal. Here in Chiang Mai for instance there is a team training the BK people to utter perfection, their fries and burgers taste the same at every outlet. Always fresh and better than in Europe.

MacDonalds, the opposite, hit and miss and usually miss, definitely worse than in Europe.

KFC in the middle somewhere, okay, but not as good as the best in Europe, and also varies a lot from outlet to outlet.

It's about the particular franchise operator, not the chain itself.

34 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Can we PLEASE leave effing politics out of at least ONE topic?!?!?

Trump likes KFC so I'll never eat KFC again!!! And the store has MAGA red and white colors!  Ewwwwww!

:biggrin: <just kidding>  Personally I just don't like KFC fast-food, or fast-food in general. Too many better choices in Thailand. 

• Sad 1

On 9/12/2024 at 12:28 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

True, look at the size of their portions of French Fries, that's what you would give a 10 year old child.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

KFC original recipe is nice, but it's rarely ready. You have to wait. The one the Thais like is bland, but they call it spicy, lol. Their fries are crap and portion size is a joke. Never fill the packet. I like their chicken burgers though.

McDonald's is the best of the big fast food chains around. Best fries and their iconic burgers always hit the spot.

Dominos is good for chain pizza. Beats the local ones, easy.

I am in the U.S. of A. but travel to Thailand in the summer.    I stopped eating at KFC in the U.S. of A.  years ago.  The last time was when I was still gainfully employed about 15-18 years ago when another employee wanted to eat there for lunch.   The chicken was terrible, which is why I stopped eating there.     I agree with your assessment of fries at KFC in Thailand.   I on't like their chicken there either.   

In the U.S. of A. I don't eat at McDonalds.  The McDonalds hamburgers here are not very good.   I don't understand why hamburgers at McDonalds in the U.S. of A. are not very good when the burgers at McDonalds in Thailand are!   The other thing about McDonalds in Thailand are the pies.   I think the pies in Thailand are much better tasting than the McDonalds pies in the U.S. of A.   

You guys got a lot of balls not worrying about your arteries exploding and diabetes still eating this stuff at relatively advanced ages.

I learned the hard way that I had a few too many Big Macs too late in life, then I stopped. 

Life is hard. And people can't deal with the hardness of life, so shovel crap in their mouths for a hit of dopamine.

Of course a big mac "hits the spot". These foods are dangerous highly addictive drugs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The last time I had eaten KFC was almost forty years ago in London, until I finally tried it again here in Thailand when I took the daughter for the treat she wanted.

It was OK, but not as tasty as I recall. Back in the UK they used to sell little pots of baked beans and coleslaw as sides. Do they still do that?.