The One Fatal Issue That Both Parties Consistently Refuse to Address

DougieMax

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One could say that Gaia works in mysterious ways.

If she can't reduce us by famine, flood, fire, bad weather, disease or war, she'll get the government to do it.

Climate change will produce population shifts on an unprecedented scale, and we will have done it to ourselves.

I'm glad I won't be around to see it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Climate change will produce population shifts on an unprecedented scale, and we will have done it to ourselves.

I'm glad I won't be around to see it.

On your last sentence I agree. I'm also very happy not to have left children to suffer.

One of the puzzles of the entire situation is why those with children do so little to preserve the future for them. Perhaps they are like me and think there is nothing to be done about it, or they don't believe it at all.

I don't think humans caused climate change, but I do believe it is happening and it's going to be very very bad for a really large number of people.

While I think it's inevitable, there are many things we should be doing to prevent it causing as much chaos as it will if we do nothing. Those land slides are likely caused by cutting down all the trees, we should stop polluting the oceans and overfishing. They should stop burning the rain forest and planting palmoil trees or grass. Public transport should be useful, not an afterthought. People should not be building houses in fire zones or on flood plains.

Etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

There was a time in my life when politicians actually did care about the deficit and "fiscal responsibility."  That time is long gone, and by both parties.  Because to fix the problem, two things need to be done: raise revenue and reduce spending.  Politicians don't get elected by promising to raise taxes and reduce benefits.  And who's to blame?  Honestly, it's the voters fault.  If we voters don't care, the politicians won't care.  Trump raised the national debt by trillions and he still has millions of hardcore supporters.  So this problem won't get fixed in my lifetime.  Small solace for me in that I'll be dead by the time the US government goes bankrupt. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mdr224 said:

More of a boomers collectors item than serving any utility anymore.

There is some truth to the adage that wisdom comes with age. Not always, but it's a matter of common sense that the more time one has to observe the workings of the world and history, the more accurate the assessments tend to be. Besides, even if bitcoin is a hit, it would be just a matter of time before governments co-opt and make it illegal in favor of their own CBDCs. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mdr224 said:

More of a boomers collectors item than serving any utility anymore.

Try going to 7/11 or any market in the country, then buy something for 20 or 30 baht and offer to pay with bit coin, Then come back and give us the result.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The Harris policies will result in a deficit increase of $1.2 trillion. Trump's will result in an increase of $5.8 trillion. The Republicans have the sheer gall to claim they are better economic managers.

Lose reserve currency status, the USA is <deleted>. So everyone scrambles around with bandaids.

Per the leftist economists 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

A post linking to a disallowed, non-credible source has been removed. Along with a second post using an unsourced, no weblink graphic.

Please note the pertinent forum rule:

"In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source."

• Thumbs Up 1