Is it worth having one short sighted eye corrected?

scubascuba3

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You need to think ahead to when you are older and loss of accommodation sets in.

What gives ideal vision now, won't then - you'll be glad of that one short-sighted eye

Also if only one eye is short-sighted, normally the brain will correct automatically (using one eye for distance and oen eye for near) so I am puzzled why you need glasses to watch TV

I'm shortsighted in both eyes i.e i can see up close, phone, reading etc no problem, it's the longer distance which is a bit blurred hence why the glasses for TV. I thought by having one eye done to see longer distance then I'd have one eye for near and one for far, that wouldn't work?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I just wear a contact in one eye, the one that is the worse and I get along fine for distance.  

But, what type of surgery/operation are you referring too?

Maybe i should just try 1 contact lens first.

As for the op i don't know, new lens presumably, if i only want distance with the lens maybe it's a more basic lens/op

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe i should just try 1 contact lens first.

As for the op i don't know, new lens presumably, if i only want distance with the lens maybe it's a more basic lens/op

i had to start wearing glasses in my late 30's due to working on a screen for many years. as i am getting older now (47) my eyes are getting worse. i have presbyopia and other issues now as well. supposed to be using bi focal glasses but can't even get used to normal glasses yet.

however.

the surgeries are quite a drastic step. mess up your eyes and life changes for good right. so with that i have stayed away from any kind of surgery for now. 

hoping in the coming decade or so some more help will be available for those like me. 

i would try the contact first way before surgery. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Apparently you can get one contact lens to correct shortsightedness, so the combination of both eyes then gives better vision.

Does this work for one eye operation?

Is it worth it?

My eyesight isn't a problem, glasses for TV but who wouldn't want better eyesight 

Well, a visit to an ophthalmologist is an option or even necessary requirement. 

I'm not so good in long distance diagnosis as others. So let your eyes checked. Cataract?

My personal story in simple words: years ago I had to undergo an eye operation and got 2 new lenses. One eye is good for reading, the other for "far away" sight. 

However, the difference in dioptries was not big. This works perfectly for me. Not for everyone, which will be confirmed by your "eye-doctor". Just think about it 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Also if only one eye is short-sighted, normally the brain will correct automatically (using one eye for distance and oen eye for near) so I am puzzled why you need glasses to watch TV

Yes, it's quite amazing how that works. After my retinal detachment surgery, my depth-of-field perception was off, especially when doing something simple such as taking the change being handed over by a cashier. I was always 'undershooting' where their hand was. However, after maybe a couple of weeks, the bits of the brain that handles the optics made the 'adjustments' and it was back to normal.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm shortsighted in both eyes i.e i can see up close, phone, reading etc no problem, it's the longer distance which is a bit blurred hence why the glasses for TV. I thought by having one eye done to see longer distance then I'd have one eye for near and one for far, that wouldn't work?

You might consider having a consultation with Dr. Somchai at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital regarding having lasik done.  I looked into lasik in the US but I was told I would still need to use glasses, either for close-up or distance.  Since I wanted to get rid of glasses as the whole point of having lasik, I didn't have it done.

When I came to Thailand I checked again regarding lasik with Dr. Somchai.  He told me he thought he could do the lasik in such a way that I could see both distance and close-up without having to wear glasses.  And, he did just that.  (Nice when that happens!) 

I ended up with great vision for both distance and close-up.   This was back around 2011 or 2012 and I had great vision until just this year, when, at age 72, I noticed my distance vision remained great but I was having trouble reading the tiniest print on my health watch.  

I probably could have just continued with the slightly poor close-up vision but my spouse and I both decided to have Dr. Somchai do SuperSight lens replacement.  (Spouse had also had lasik when I did.)  And, again, very happy with the results.  I can now see all that tiny print on my watch telling me I need to get more sleep.   SuperSight is expensive and involved an overnight stay at the hospital, with more after surgery stuff to do than with lasik. 

With your case, lasik might be an easier, and equally good or better option.   Dr. Somchai is very professional, takes his time, and is very patient in explaining things, with good follow-up care.  As I said, it might be worth having him check your eyes and see what he says regarding your treatment options.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm 53, just had cataracts done in both eyes. Worn contacts all my life for short-sightedness since I was 12/13. Vision is perfect now for distance but has some light flicker depending on direction of light coming in, usually from the side. If you go the lasik route, this can give problems if you later require cataracts removed. A woman having her eyes done same time as me had unfavourable blurriness after her lens replacement due to previous lasik. If I was you, I'd go for a contact lens. Leave any surgery until you really need it. I guess I'm just unfortunate that I needed it at a relatively early age as far as cataracts go. Also, if you get lasik, your vision might change again years down the line, especially in later years, then you're back to square one. A contact lens can easily have the prescription changed if it does.

Edited by ade591
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you only need long distance correction you should be able to have LASIK treatment and improve your all round vision

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

My nearsightedness improved from 2.00/2.25 in my forties to 0.50/0.75 now. I no longer need glasses to drive. I have presbyopia, so use reading glasses.

I contemplated having LASIK at one time. I'm glad I did not go through with it.

Why? Seems lots of top hospitals and a few clinics offering state of art. I'm considering this. I'm sick of wearing glasses.

It is possible to correct long and short vision?

I'm 2.25 short, 1.0+ long.

Sorry for hijack question

EDIT and sorry..

Is it possible to wear contacts for long vision but also use reading glasses with contacts in? Do you need to always remove nightly? Sorry again 🥺

Edited by Chadnik

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You need to think ahead to when you are older and loss of accommodation sets in.

What gives ideal vision now, won't then - you'll be glad of that one short-sighted eye

I have this problem. When I had cataracts done the surgeon did not correct my eyesight for the reason you mentioned above. 

27 minutes ago, Chadnik said:

Why? Seems lots of top hospitals and a few clinics offering state of art. I'm considering this. I'm sick of wearing glasses.

EDIT and sorry..

Is it possible to wear contacts for long vision but also use reading glasses with contacts in? Do you need to always remove nightly? Sorry again 🥺

Answered my own question. Very possible.

So, I have another question so I don't start another thread.

Do I need to have my eyes checked or can I just buy 1.0 at Big C? At 60+ Im very ok pulling out reading glasses as needed.

BTW whether you trust them or not there are many vendors on Shoppee selling B&L

Edited by Chadnik

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A twist of this, 3 years back in Australia I had an annual check, professional qualified dr. then commented:

- your eyes have different numbers.

- I suggest you get 2 sets of spectacles (all free) both with slightly different lense capabilities:

• One pair of spectacles for reading and computer work.
  • one pair which will come with the capability for the glass to become tinted in daylight, for watching TV and for driving. Also dulls the brightness of street lights etc., at night time.

All works well.

10 minutes ago, Chadnik said:

Answered my own question. Very possible.

So, I have another question so I don't start another thread.

Do I need to have my eyes checked or can I just buy 1.0 at Big C? At 60+ Im very ok pulling out reading glasses as needed.

BTW whether you trust them or not there are many vendors on Shoppee selling B&L

Better to get checked and get proper prescription. Among other things mighglt have some astigmatism.

Have you worn contacts before? 

28 minutes ago, Chadnik said:

EDIT and sorry..

My understanding is that nearsightedness is caused by the slight elongation of the eyeball causing incoming light to focus short of the retina. LASIK re-shapes the cornea slightly to correct this. I think with age, some people's eyeballs lose some of this elongation and the focal point of the light starts to shift closer to the retina.

Had I undergone LASIK surgery in the past, it is possible that now the focal point of the light would have shifted to a point that was over-corrective of my previous nearsightedness due to the elongation of my eyeballs diminishing. Others have mentioned to me that their nearsightedness lessened with age.

I know some people who have had to return to wearing glasses years after LASIK, but I am not sure of the cause. Perhaps someone with experience in this field can help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am 70 and had Lasik surgery on my right eye 25 years ago. I have mono-vision. With my left eye, I can see things close to me without reading glasses, and with my right eye, I can see distant things. I still have 20/20 vision today if I use both eyes. It works for me, and I do not need glasses to see close or far.  

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Better to get checked and get proper prescription. Among other things mighglt have some astigmatism.

Have you worn contacts before? 

Never.

The top line Lasik is like 90k at Bkk Hospital and similar TSRC. Think I'm just going to go for it.

Thank you

Sorry to hijack the thread

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm 54 and I've not noticed any change in my shortsightedness, I've had it for 30 years, when might it lessen?

In my case, it was quite gradual. I think it started some time in my fifties and slowly progressed to where it is today. 

I think there have been studies that show a correlation between the amount of reading one does and the incidence and severity of nearsightedness. I have wondered whether it was the shift from reading paper documents to reading documents on computer screens where I could increase the size of the text to reduce the strain on my eyes that helped. I really don't know, but the difference is remarkable.