Thailand's 5-20 Year Visa Now a Bit Cheaper

webfact

19 minutes ago, hkblademan said:

You don’t pay any tax if you hold a LTR visa. 

I don't know about the tax laws, but I find it hard to believe that the government would let foreigners with 5-20-year visas get away with not paying tax. There has been no mention before of any categories of foreigners being able to avoid paying tax on worldwide income. If that's the case I'll change my marriage visa to a long-term visa in order to save millions on tax.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, cedel said:

Why on earth would a wealthy person want to reside in Thailand if his WORLDWIDE income would be taxed more than he managed to do so far? 

Open your eyes, you want more money flow into thai economy, you propose new and easier visa on 1 hand, but on the other hand with the proposals of former PM Sretta of taxing foreigners who stay more than 6 months per year in Thailand you make everyone step back from investing buying properties in Thailand and they will reduce their time to stay less than 6 months per year in Thailand or simply move away, sell their property in Thailand and consider more friendly, more attractive, and less greedy neighbooring countries like Viêtnam, Cambodia and the Philippines that don't have automatic fiscal exchange like CRS from the OECD, or FATCA and will not want to tax foreigners like that ! 

That's without counting that it's still not allowed to buy like almost everywhere in Europe or other continents a real plot of land with the house)(without employing thai nominees in a company to own the Land which is still illegal! although done by hundreds of thousands if not millions of foreigners) and have the same rights on it than locals, plus no social security even if you would pay your taxes in Thailand. add countless reports and paperwork with immigration... and more hassles, time loss and money spent with filing proper tax report paying lawyers/accountant in Thailand as in your home country.. 

I think you can make even free 20 years visa, if you are going into this direction with the taxes, and no advantages for us but only burdens, it's not going to work, that's a fact and logic ! 

Small brain.  This visa is not only for people who want to retire here and marry or date a Thai farmer’s daughter or son, as the case may be.  Many people like the freedom to reside in a number of countries.   For example many people apply for long term visas to Canada. But who wants to be a Canadian tax resident and pay 58% tax?  Think outside your little (minute not the time the size minute) sphere of knowledge.   

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The TPV offers various visa options ranging from 5 to 20 years, each featuring unique perks and bonuses, with current prices spanning from 900,000 baht to over 2 million baht 

Totally Over the top ,

Look at the normal extensions x THB. 2,000 works out THB 40,000 for 20 years ,slightly different than the THB 900K up to 2 Mill. 

One can't tell me that the So called Perks cost that much. (if one can call them perks)

Just a big Laugh.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, cedel said:

Why on earth would a wealthy person want to reside in Thailand if his WORLDWIDE income would be taxed more than he managed to do so far? 

Open your eyes, you want more money flow into thai economy, you propose new and easier visa on 1 hand, but on the other hand with the proposals of former PM Sretta of taxing foreigners who stay more than 6 months per year in Thailand you make everyone step back from investing buying properties in Thailand and they will reduce their time to stay less than 6 months per year in Thailand or simply move away, sell their property in Thailand and consider more friendly, more attractive, and less greedy neighbooring countries like Viêtnam, Cambodia and the Philippines that don't have automatic fiscal exchange like CRS from the OECD, or FATCA and will not want to tax foreigners like that ! 

That's without counting that it's still not allowed to buy like almost everywhere in Europe or other continents a real plot of land with the house)(without employing thai nominees in a company to own the Land which is still illegal! although done by hundreds of thousands if not millions of foreigners) and have the same rights on it than locals, plus no social security even if you would pay your taxes in Thailand. add countless reports and paperwork with immigration... and more hassles, time loss and money spent with filing proper tax report paying lawyers/accountant in Thailand as in your home country.. 

I think you can make even free 20 years visa, if you are going into this direction with the taxes, and no advantages for us but only burdens, it's not going to work, that's a fact and logic ! 

Absolutely concur. As well as myself, I know of 4 other foreigners who have decided not to renew our cars because we don't want to run the risk of having to pay tax on the money we bring in to buy a new car. They really haven't thought this through

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, hkblademan said:

You don’t pay any tax if you hold a LTR visa. 

depends on which of the 4 categories of the LTR as at least one allows one to work in Thailand but tax is lower than normal for that one.  I guess you are referring to the remitted income is not taxed yet for the wealthy pensioners.  Until all the dust settles on this latest one who knows .... but at least no 90-day checks for 10 years.

23 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Totally Over the top ,

Look at the normal extensions x THB. 2,000 works out THB 40,000 for 20 years ,slightly different than the THB 900K up to 2 Mill. 

One can't tell me that the So called Perks cost that much. (if one can call them perks)

Just a big Laugh.

I think one of the perks is unlimited golf at certain course...if one is an avid golfer then it might be cheaper to have one of these elite viisa...not sure of the other perks...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, renaissanc said:

I don't know about the tax laws, but I find it hard to believe that the government would let foreigners with 5-20-year visas get away with not paying tax. There has been no mention before of any categories of foreigners being able to avoid paying tax on worldwide income. If that's the case I'll change my marriage visa to a long-term visa in order to save millions on tax.

Yeah saw the number at 30K holding one of these - said mostly Chinese and don't think they would want them to be tax free but TIT.

3 hours ago, Rolo89 said:

I paid this fee and never completed it as the DTV was coming. The airport fast track would kinda be nice but not worth $450 a month! They could double or triple the cost of this and it would be worth it if it got tax breaks. 

The security checking for this took weeks and loads of paperwork, DTV took 10 mins to apply for 48 hours to be approved.

For the real wealthy, the Tax issue is not a real issue. But it's an issue for the middle-class wealthy and all below.

The segments getting milked always and everywhere the most.

Tripling the visa fee by offering a tax exemption, would be nothing else than a "deposit" in advance. The rule and the way it's executed can change anytime.

Most of the wealthy people are smart. That's why not so many fall for this rip-off. Age is one valuable factor. But also there are other options.

As you said, the privilege of the fast track and a Limo Service, the discounts at some fancy shops and golf courses aren't worth

450 USD a month. 

But it might attract "wannabe" elites, or people who don't care too much about their money, and the math, which tells differently.

Not too many there of those. Within two decades. Fiddling with ridiculous details on a more or less dead subject will not revive it.

Edited by Maitdjai

5 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Wouldn’t want it if it’s free

Had it been free, I would have taken it. LTR cost me 50000, but now I am a bit less worried about Income tax.

Actually, a few years back, it was reasonably (500k, 1M and 2M) priced until they became obscenely greedy, thanks to the Chinamen refugees.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They just don't get it. Wealthy people have many options. Many nations are offering far more favorable terms, as they actually have smart people working on visa policy. Thailand appeals mostly to those of us who have financial limitations. The goons seem to think it is the other way around. Good luck with the 6 applicants. 

The wealthy do not hang out in Thailand .  The choice is large for everything they need, the Caribbean islands, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands. Caymans, UAE, Hong Kong, Belize. These islands have to offer what Thailand doesn’t, mega beautiful homes, yachting facilities ( lots of 100 meter yachts floating around ) health care and quality entertainment / restaurants/ designer worthy shopping. 
The people who have an extra 30 odd thousand $ handy for an elite visa in Thailand profit from nothing of the above. Probably handy for those still working coming in and out, or  frequent visitors..

My niece worked on the yacht of a very wealthy man from Hong Kong.  I visited the villa he had in Kamala Phuket, top design and inside waterfalls etc. He sold it after a few stays , didn’t like Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1