On Poor People & Rushing

JimTripper

I am interested in why less affluent people tend to rush more. Wealthy people tend to take their time and are very patient. Have you found this to be the case in your dealings? Is it because poor people have less, so by deduction think rushing will bring a desired result more quickly? Or, because they are anxious to get results right away because nothing is saved up for emergencies?

Counter-intuitively I have found that rushing actually gets things done less well and quickly then having patience. One of the reasons for this may be that things are overlooked and mistakes made due to lack of thought and due consideration before acting.

Thoughts?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've not noticed that, slow thinkers, move slowly, slow golfers are annoying as are slow walkers

Slow golfers should be shot (admin...that's a joke). A sniper on the second or third hole would be ideal.

Would they be a movable object....free drop?

• Haha 2

The link below explains it a little, I think.  I remember hearing something somewhere about the concept of poor people never having anything so they don't really think about things in a long-term way.  I guess because they aren't used to getting anything good through waiting (or at all) because they're deprived, so they don't do delayed gratification well.  I think maybe it was that they were so used to not having anything, the idea that they might have something in the future, through waiting, was kind of a foreign concept.  It was more to do with money, but I guess time could be thought of in the same way.  It's all about waiting.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/21/linda-tirado-poverty-hand-to-mouth-extract

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

The link below explains it a little, I think.  I remember hearing something somewhere about the concept of poor people never having anything so they don't really think about things in a long-term way.  I guess because they aren't used to getting anything good through waiting (or at all) because they're deprived, so they don't do delayed gratification well.  I think maybe it was that they were so used to not having anything, the idea that they might have something in the future, through waiting, was kind of a foreign concept.  It was more to do with money, but I guess time could be thought of in the same way.  It's all about waiting.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/21/linda-tirado-poverty-hand-to-mouth-extract

= subsistence economy, as promoted by the Chakri dynasty for decades.,.....

They lack intelligence so they can only think in the immediate moment.  People that are more intelligent can plan 10 steps ahead if not years into future.

Dumbass:  Do the rushing now.  Do it good.

Intelligent person:  I finished all my work last week.  I will grab a coffee on the way.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

They lack intelligence so they can only think in the immediate moment.  People that are more intelligent can plan 10 steps ahead if not years into future.

Dumbass:  Do the rushing now.  Do it good.

Intelligent person:  I finished all my work last week.  I will grab a coffee on the way.

Also, quickly snatching at things because they have been trained in the past to see it being taken away. Or, eating very quickly because the food might not be there tomorrow. Grabbing and hoarding groceries because someone else may get them.

Aggressive Walmart shoppers with huge carts full or groceries when the food stamps arrive once a month (common in the USA to buy everything the first few days and go on a binge, then run out before the end of the month).

People with more have not had that experience of lack so they don't see it disappearing.

• Like 1