Replacement Apple batteries, oem or generic?

up2you2

2 hours ago, up2you2 said:

My son's Apple 13 iPhone's battery needs replacing.
From people's experience what's the best recourse, replace it through Apple Care or risk a non generic battery alternative, from many of these repair shops?

It very much depends on the life you expect to get from the phone. The genuine Apple sourced batteries are excellent value for money and you can be sure the replacement will be perfect.

You can get batteries of various qualities from independent suppliers, they will be cheaper, they will not have the same life time as an apple battery, Apple does not supply batteries to anyone neither do its suppliers. So if you want 2 and more years then get it through Apple care, if you want a cheaper battery that will need replacement long before the Apple only then use a good independent.

On 9/15/2024 at 3:24 AM, up2you2 said:

My son's Apple 13 iPhone's battery needs replacing.
From people's experience what's the best recourse, replace it through Apple Care or risk a non generic battery alternative, from many of these repair shops?

iPhones are difficult to service. If something goes wrong Apple will deal with it. If you go to a third party and something goes wrong you might be stuck with it.

Batteries are not outrageously priced. Considering the risk I personally would only let Apple do it.

I replaced the battery, along with the screen,  in my iPhone6 5 years ago with items I bought on Lazada and it is still fine. Unfortunately, due to the inability to upgrade IoS, I will no longer be able to use Whatsapp and Line from November, so no more Apples for me.

@Paradise Pete is absolutely correct the cost from Apple is ฿ 3,290 it will have a guarantee and be genuine and though they won’t damage anything if they do fixing is free

you can get an independent to do it for you for less, the battery will have a shorter lifespan.

while @NotEinstein did a replacement on an iPhone 6 (I could also do one on one of those) because the screen is not hot melt glued) I doubt he would do a glued one, I certainly would not.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@Paradise Pete is absolutely correct the cost from Apple is ฿ 3,290 it will have a guarantee and be genuine and though they won’t damage anything if they do fixing is free

you can get an independent to do it for you for less, the battery will have a shorter lifespan.

while @NotEinstein did a replacement on an iPhone 6 (I could also do one on one of those) because the screen is not hot melt glued) I doubt he would do a glued one, I certainly would not.

Lol - I bought a new phone for less than that.

I have actually changed a couple of glued screens - that's what the hairdryer is for!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

Lol - I bought a new phone for less than that.

I have actually changed a couple of glued screens - that's what the hairdryer is for!

You may want a cheap new phone, personally I used a Samsung Hero until I needed a phone with Apple CarPlay, when I transitioned to an SE 2

You may have the skill to do that with a hairdryer, but get it wrong and you will damage the Touch ID sensor and then if you want to use Touch ID you are out of luck unless you want to pay Apple (the only ones who can do the job) upwards of 12,000 for a replacement screen & home button DAMHIKT 😪

Whoa ... 3,290 for a battery ... :cheesy:

So they basically charge the same as if done in the USA, actually a tad more.   Not cheaper considering the Thai labor cost, and proximity to CN.  What a joke :coffee1:

image.png.7d74cb19de259503605d171babbcbad9.png

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Whoa ... 3,290 for a battery ... :cheesy:

So they basically charge the same as if done in the USA, actually a tad more.   Not cheaper considering the Thai labor cost, and proximity to CN.  What a joke :coffee1:

image.png.7d74cb19de259503605d171babbcbad9.png

Well no it isn’t really more. Apple basically charges exactly the same, just that the exchange rate has tanked and they don’t adjust prices that quickly, also there is the difference in VAT (Thailand) and state taxes (USA)

go back a couple of months and your $89 = ฿3,270 so where is the joke?

The closeness to China is irrelevant.

45 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well no it isn’t really more. Apple basically charges exactly the same, just that the exchange rate has tanked and they don’t adjust prices that quickly, also there is the difference in VAT (Thailand) and state taxes (USA)

go back a couple of months and your $89 = ฿3,270 so where is the joke?

The closeness to China is irrelevant.

The joke is, the Thai employee at best is probably getting 1000 baht a day, and the USA employee is probably getting 1000 baht an hour.

Thailand is a lot closer to CN, so shipping should be considerably less.  But yet, charged the same price.  

Anything, most things involving labor cost much less here.  Quick Google and oil change (Toyota) in USA is ~$169,   TH - 1500-2000 baht/$45-60.

Apple has not shame.  Why they have such a small market share.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2024 at 6:05 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

It very much depends on the life you expect to get from the phone. The genuine Apple sourced batteries are excellent value for money and you can be sure the replacement will be perfect.

You can get batteries of various qualities from independent suppliers, they will be cheaper, they will not have the same life time as an apple battery, Apple does not supply batteries to anyone neither do its suppliers. So if you want 2 and more years then get it through Apple care, if you want a cheaper battery that will need replacement long before the Apple only then use a good independent.

I once let a repair shop install a low priced battery into my Samsung phone. The phone was slightly damaged during the process. The new battery lasted around 10 days. Never again. 

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Apple has not shame.  Why they have such a small market share.

You may like to try to convince yourself but you are wrong.

apple has very few models compared to the hundreds of android ones however even in Thailand the market share is over 33% and rising, in the USA it’s over 58% and rising in the U.K. over 52% and rising  while android is falling in all 3

Take all the high net worth countries, the top being Bermuda at over 98%, few of them are under 50%.

So you can try to convince yourself and others of the fable of Apple having a small market share, they don’t!

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You may like to try to convince yourself but you are wrong.

apple has very few models compared to the hundreds of android ones however even in Thailand the market share is over 33% and rising, in the USA it’s over 58% and rising in the U.K. over 52% and rising  while android is falling in all 3

Take all the high net worth countries, the top being Bermuda at over 98%, few of them are under 50%.

So you can try to convince yourself and others of the fable of Apple having a small market share, they don’t!

that's funny ... 4 countries out of 200+ :cheesy:

image.png.95543b458c7cb91bd1cda21b0e0edeb7.png

source

image.png.6a15b74ccb92e0c1f1be18d09435a7ad.png

source

image.png.d389fb2a4e1a0a4658d3c84cef7f9e2c.png

Edited by KhunLA