Thailand launches app to replace physical driving licences

webfact

thaidriverslicense.webp

Thailand’s Department of Land Transport (DLT) has launched a new mobile application, QR Licence, designed to eliminate the need for motorists to carry a physical driver’s licence. This innovative app allows users to display their digital driving licence on electronic devices like smartphones and tablets.

Director-General of the DLT, Seksom Akraphand highlighted the convenience offered by the app. He stated that the digital licences include essential personal information, such as blood type and drug allergy history, and provide notifications when the licence is nearing its expiration date.

The QR Licence app also features functionalities that enhance road safety and connectivity. Users can share their travel routes, current location, and vehicle registration numbers with others. In case of an emergency, the app allows for the sending of distress messages via phone or SMS.

Additionally, the app offers access to the latest news and updates from the DLT, ensuring that drivers are well-informed about any changes or important announcements.

Compatible with both Android and iOS systems, the QR Licence app can be downloaded from official platforms like the Google Play Store or App Store. However, it requires motorists to possess the newer type of driver’s licence that includes a QR code on the back, allowing the app to sync with their digital profile seamlessly, reported Bangkok Post.

In related news, driver’s licences in Thailand will now prominently display whether the holder is an organ donor, the Department of Land Transport (DLT) announced. This update, effective from August 7, aims to make the organ donation status of drivers more visible.

by Ryan Turner
Image: Legal Services Hua Hin

Source: The Thaiger 

-- 2024-09-16

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

the DLT app i have for 3 years , not take licence with me.

since 6 month , the drivinglicence is gone

tryed to sacn in new ...no work

is it again foreigners only cant use, bcs the app work on thaiGF handy

app is not new can download on appstore ONLY IF REGISTERD HANDY IN THAI !!! aviable

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, lapamita said:

Did you change your passport?
System has old passport number and does not accept new DL with new passport number

36 minutes ago, stoutfella said:

And if drivers don't have "smartphones" or "tablets", what then?

Full article mentions in the end that alternatives are:
Screens of QR app
Photos of DL
B/w copy of DL
but must show both sides.

Because the QR code is on back side the cops can check it with their scanner from app/photo/copy.  So no need for this app actually.

Hmmm, and there I was thinking that a lot of Thai's don't have drivers licenses, because of the way they drive/ride, or am I confusing myself with the lack of number plates being displayed or hard to read due to the paint having faded 🙂

Animated GIF

57 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

And who cares ?? Today stopped by the police.. checked the sticker on the window for tax and than drive on... who cares about a driverslicense digital, plastic or none??

Might be an issue if and when you have an accident, dude, when any insurance will be null and void. 

Issue with licence here is the frequency. It’s one big money spinner and a huge waste of time. Have a proper licensing system, make it tough and make it valid to age 70 or summat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lapamita said:

app is not new can download on appstore ONLY IF REGISTERD HANDY IN THAI !!! aviable

Handy?

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

And who cares ?? Today stopped by the police.. checked the sticker on the window for tax and than drive on... who cares about a driverslicense digital, plastic or none??

I imagine those who are asked to show their driving licence at police check points or if involved in an incident care... Duh !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

waiting for the English version. Usually an after thought for  goverment apps. 

The Thai Version of the App remains extremely simple to use if all you are doing is 'storing' your Drivers License information in it... (takes a few mins)... 

If struggling due to the Thai, can take a screen-shot and use GoogleTranslate App to make it easier.

But as others have mentioned, the App is not necessary - but it does remove a potential hassle if someone forgets to carry their physical driving license with them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, daveAustin said:
3 hours ago, lapamita said:

Handy?

I tried to decipher what lapamita had written - but its just too jumbled. 

Foreigners can use the DLT App (loads already do) - the App is located on App stores geocached to Thailand, thus one may need to 'alter' their App Store location to Thailand so they can download this App.

(I think thats what he meant anyway).

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Did you change your passport?
System has old passport number and does not accept new DL with new passport number

That could be an issue....  IF a Driving Licence was obtained under a previous Passport (as proof of ID)... then when attempting to use the DLT App the user punches in the newer Passport Number as his registered ID number - there will be no 'linked information'... 

In which case the solution is to use the Previous Passport number and to access the 'account holders' information on the DLT App. 

Then, when renewing the Driving Licence in future, use the new passport (obviously) which will then require going through the simple process of updating the DLT app again.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

Why can't I just save my licence in my phone wallet? I don't need all that extra stuff

Because people in middle management positions constantly need to come up with non-working solutions to non-problems, in order to try to justify the existence of their job, and everyone else suffers as a result.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

waiting for the English version. Usually an after thought for  goverment apps. 

Maybe they assume that if you live here long enough to need a local drivers license that you might also be here long enough to learn to local lingo.

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, lapamita said:

I'll take bash at it...

I was using the DLT app for about three years and never took my physical licence with me.  Then, about six months ago, I could no longer access my driving licence through the app.  I tried to upload a copy of my new licence, but the app would not allow it.

It seem to only foreigners who are unable to access the full range of uses from the DLT app, as my Thai girlfriend is easily able to access it on her phone.

Anyone can download the app from the Appstore, but you need your phone to be registered in Thailand.

(I took a guess that maybe "handy" means handset. 🤷‍♂️)

• Agree 1

Personally, I would want to keep the physical licence.  It's nice to have as a form of ID, and apps/phones are notorious for not working when you need them.  Unless they maybe want people to have a physical print out of the QR code and the police scan it?  But then you might as well just stick with physical licences.

I assume you would still have to go through the rest of the palaver for getting the licence, you simply don't end up with a physical licence at the end.

Seems like a bad idea and will only make things more difficult.

15 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Maybe they assume that if you live here long enough to need a local drivers license that you might also be here long enough to learn to local lingo.

Assume make an ASS out of yoU and ME.

They may be an ass, but I will not put government apps on my phone.

My phone is 'app free' and my telephone plan has no internet usage. WIFI is always off.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Might be an issue if and when you have an accident, dude, when any insurance will be null and void. 

Issue with licence here is the frequency. It’s one big money spinner and a huge waste of time. Have a proper licensing system, make it tough and make it valid to age 70 or summat. 

I have  drivers license and I know that if Thais get even a deadly accident there is a fund that will pay out... A few months back my neighbour died in a crash, no helmet, no driverslicense but got a compensation... As long as these things exist there is for Thai people no need to get a driverslicense..