Who on earth uses pagers?

Celsius

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You beat me to it.

Anyway, any device that has a battery and downloads updates from the internet is vulnerable. It's going to be a huge problem for security services.

I imagine Hamas will find an alternative shortly, as every country's boffins will be working overtime to find a solution.

This was a one time event and it was used too soon IMO. Imagine if israel had done that at the same time as invading Lebanon- it would have been a rout.

Media reports claim the Israelis had planned to us the explosive devices if Hezbollah launched a ground attack. It is claimed Hezbollah were starting to raise suspicions so Israel triggered the devices earlier than planned. A devastating attack on morale and headcount. I assume Lebanon are very limited in their options for response to which their PM has declared a breach of sovereignty (act of war). A similar attack has taken place for those using walkie talkies., hundreds injured.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Says our explosion expert.

The location of the device has nothing to do with the force of the explosion.

While you will probably say I"m making it up, I qualified on a demolition course while in the military, so I do know something about explosives.

Perhaps you can inform us of your expertise in the subject of explosives, if any.

BTW, where did I say anything about the "force" of the explosion?

Next.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Others have looked at videos of the explosions and said too much force for a battery explosion.

And a rep of Icom said the obsolete walkie talkies have been knock-off copied for years.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on the proximity of the explosion to one's brain or a vital organ.

The vast majority were only wounded.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While you will probably say I"m making it up, I qualified on a demolition course while in the military, so I do know something about explosives.

Perhaps you can inform us of your expertise in the subject of explosives, if any.

BTW, where did I say anything about the "force" of the explosion?

Next.

You did so by replying to this post about the force of the explosion with this "Depends on the proximity of the explosion to one's brain or a vital organ.".

Just now, stevenl said:

You did so by replying to this post about the force of the explosion with this "Depends on the proximity of the explosion to one's brain or a vital organ.".

You should stop digging.

You referred to "force" that I never mentioned and then try and twist my words to imply I was talking about force when I was referring to effect.

A small explosion in the right place can be as effective as a large explosion in the wrong place. At least that is what I learned on my demolition course.

You didn't mention your expertise in the field of explosives, perhaps because you have none.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You should stop digging.

You referred to "force" that I never mentioned and then try and twist my words to imply I was talking about force when I was referring to effect.

A small explosion in the right place can be as effective as a large explosion in the wrong place. At least that is what I learned on my demolition course.

You didn't mention your expertise in the field of explosives, perhaps because you have none.

Quoting you and the post you replied to is not twisting words.

You replied to 'force'.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This was a one time event and it was used too soon IMO. Imagine if israel had done that at the same time as invading Lebanon- it would have been a rout.

It would appear to have been a plot that was to be used in conjunction with other moves. Apparently someone discovered a device that wasn't "normal", so the perpetrators had to use it or loose it.

As you say the outcome would have been a lot more significant.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The latest exploders are a wide variety of devices. Are you saying all the devices ever made have added explosives just on the off chance of being used by Hezbollah?

No I am saying that if you are correct and they can at will blow up any device with a lithium battery  then we are all at risk  not just the terrorist.

I still think the devices where modified in some way either at the factory or somewhere on route  and that it was not just the battery exploding   another theory is that they were "special batteries" with built in explosives...in any case it is rather disturbing  don't you agree ?

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

I assume Lebanon are very limited in their options for response to which their PM has declared a breach of sovereignty (act of war). A similar attack has taken place for those using walkie talkies., hundreds injured.

Terrorists always have options to respond. And Mossad has just minted thousands of new terrorists. A lot more than they killed.  And not just in the Middle East.

Israel is hardened,  but I'd stay away from synagogues and JCCs in softer areas like London, Paris and NYC for awhile.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Celsius said:

So old tech, no wonder they keep exploding.

The best thing about your post is its brevity.  They were newly manufactured using the modern versions of old technology.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Israel is hardened,  but I'd stay away from synagogues and JCCs in softer areas like London, Paris and NYC for awhile.

Is that personal threat ?

Sounds like you are about to go on a rampage and massacre Jews .

Will we be hearing about you on the news soon ?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Terrorists always have options to respond. And Mossad has just minted thousands of new terrorists. A lot more than they killed.  And not just in the Middle East.

Yeah , some Lebanese  kid is going to look at a Hezbollah member with his member blown off by a pager and think to himself,

"I wanna be just like that when I get older"