Honest Question: How is Trump a 'threat to Democracy'?

diceman

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

That's the same motivation as the long term Republicans that have publicly endorsed Harris in the upcoming election.

Yes, both sides were eagerly seeking the all-important Cheney Family endorsement...

"democracy" is like the word "love". it's so abstract that it barely means anything.

in most cases, western govts do whatever they want and they don't check in with everyone. it's more of a dictatorship.

although dictatorships can be fairly benign. it doesn't have to be oppressive. 

but let's say the govt allows you to vote on every issue.

so ... abortion. yay or nay? now 51 per cent of the population votes yes and the other 49 per cent votes no.

but you still have a very highly divided population where half the population hates the other half. 

people like to remain deluded and believe that most of their lives aren't being dictated by higher ups. 

western people are deluded with these elections. at least in China people understand there is a BOSS. 

Edited by save the frogs

1 hour ago, WDSmart said:

@diceman, Ask it again, and I'll answer it. I just don't want to scan back to try to find it.

Oh! I see now. Your question is the basis for this forum. Sorry...

I've given my answer, but yes, you're right. The forum does have a lot of insulting comments. That's, in part, because Trump has increased the division in the USA by a lot. I've never seen it as bad as it is now. 

The most boring aspect of the insults is their lack of originality. Nothing creative.

If one looks at the insults Trump uses routinely, they are straight out of primary school.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The real store of value IMO is gold and silver.

I believe the BRICS countries have been buying up Gold  and that the currency will be backed by Gold  but lets wait and see.

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

If only those b*****y communist, single cat ladies didn't have a vote.......and those without any kids.....Trump could have walked it.

It's not that you would have to take the vote away from single women or those couples without kids. You could just introduce a weighted syste, so those with kids have a vote that counts more. Ranked Voting 2.0, so to speak.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, johng said:

I believe the BRICS countries have been buying up Gold  and that the currency will be backed by Gold  but lets wait and see.

India and China have always been big gold buyers, but that is more because of the cultural and religious significance, particularly in India.

IMO silver is underrated. It's in nearly every smartphone, tablet, laptop and desktop on the planet.

3 hours ago, WDSmart said:

I don't object to requiring someone trying to vote to identify themselves. What I do object to is making the list of acceptable IDs so restrictive that many people, especially minorities and the poor, can't easily get them. And, these types of rules are made, IMO, specifically to limit the voting ability of such people. 

Not just your opinion, that's exactly what is happening.  Republicans want to make voting as difficult as possible.  Donald Trump, himself, said if voting was made easy, Republicans would never win another national election.  So, difficult is the Republican game plan--oppose mail-in voting, oppose absentee voting, oppose same-day registration,

oppose convenient places to vote, make registering to vote as difficult as possible, intimidate voters with armed 'election observers' at polling places, remove legitimate registered voters from the voter rolls, gerrymander districts to favor Republican candidates, etc., etc.  

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Actually that looks pretty good. But you'd still need four fifths of the states to peform constitutional surgery, and since many states benefit from EC, this never going to happen.

There is an on-going effort, the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, to modify the Electoral College in determining presidential elections.  If enough states ratify the compact to represent 270 EC votes, the national popular vote will be used by those states to determine the presidential winner.   So far, states with a total of 209 EC votes have ratified, with legislation pending in states with a total of 50 EC votes.  

I don't think you are quite correct when you imply that small population states, the supposed beneficiaries of the EC, would never vote to eliminate the EC.   Surprisingly, of the states that have ratified the compact, there are six states with 5 EC votes or fewer.   You would think these states, being some of the smallest in population,  would have turned down the compact but each voted in favor of the importance of using the popular vote to determine presidential winners.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

There is an on-going effort, the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, to modify the Electoral College in determining presidential elections.  If enough states ratify the compact to represent 270 EC votes, the national popular vote will be used by those states to determine the presidential winner.   So far, states with a total of 209 EC votes have ratified, with legislation pending in states with a total of 50 EC votes.  

I don't think you are quite correct when you imply that small population states, the supposed beneficiaries of the EC, would never vote to eliminate the EC.   Surprisingly, of the states that have ratified the compact, there are six states with 5 EC votes or fewer.   You would think these states, being some of the smallest in population,  would have turned down the compact but each voted in favor of the importance of using the popular vote to determine presidential winners.

The compact you refer to is unlikely to survive legal challenge.

"The Supreme Court has also held that congressional consent is required for interstate compacts that alter the horizontal balance of power among the states."

Since this arrangement appears to be a power grab by Democrat states, only if they are in full control of Congress could they get the required consent.

One law professor has argued that Congress cannot consent to the NPVIC, because Congress has no power to alter the functioning of the Electoral College under Article I, Section VIII.

The CRS report concluded that the NPVIC would likely become the source of considerable litigation, and it is likely that the Supreme Court will be involved in any resolution of the constitutional issues surrounding it.

Given that the Supreme Court ist dominated by Republican appointed judges, it is highly unlikely they would sanction this compact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact#:~:text=The National Popular Vote Interstate,and the District of Columbia.

Edited by Cameroni

he isn't, he is a threat to the Status Quo, the US want endless wars, military expansionism, endless hostility and theft of resources, all under the guise or "spreading Democracy' 

all the US politicians are bought out by various lobbyists. Trump is independently wealthy so cannot be corrupted...

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 20.59.13.png

Edited by frank83628

The reason why people like Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have become popular is that the American democratic system is not working for most people, there is great discontent in America. In particular people like Biden and Harris being pushed through by the Democratic Party does not sit well with most people. Most Americans also did not want Trump to run

Whoever wins this race, it is  unlikely that this discontent with American politics will disappear. This underlying discontent is the greatest threat  to democracy in the US.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Yes, both sides were eagerly seeking the all-important Cheney Family endorsement...

Trump is actually a third party candidate.  He is not really a Republican.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

The compact you refer to is unlikely to survive legal challenge.

"The Supreme Court has also held that congressional consent is required for interstate compacts that alter the horizontal balance of power among the states."

Since this arrangement appears to be a power grab by Democrat states, only if they are in full control of Congress could they get the required consent.

One law professor has argued that Congress cannot consent to the NPVIC, because Congress has no power to alter the functioning of the Electoral College under Article I, Section VIII.

The CRS report concluded that the NPVIC would likely become the source of considerable litigation, and it is likely that the Supreme Court will be involved in any resolution of the constitutional issues surrounding it.

Given that the Supreme Court ist dominated by Republican appointed judges, it is highly unlikely they would sanction this compact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact#:~:text=The National Popular Vote Interstate,and the District of Columbia.

Yes, there's debate regarding the compact--I side with those who believe states have the power to manage their electors--but I find it encouraging that 17 states, both with large populations and small, have voted to recognize popular vote as the way to elect presidents in the 21st century.  Also encouraging that other states are looking into it.  

11 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes, there's debate regarding the compact--I side with those who believe states have the power to manage their electors--but I find it encouraging that 17 states, both with large populations and small, have voted to recognize popular vote as the way to elect presidents in the 21st century.  Also encouraging that other states are looking into it.  

Looks like a recipe for civil war.

"Threat to democracy?" Impossible, considering the kind of folks that Trump loves and considers "very special people..." Here are a few of Trump invitees for a tour of the Capitol as a bon voyage gesture to himself.

(One thing needs to be pointed out as weakness in our democracy is that it turned out that my local Lotus's has more bathroom stalls on its ground floor than in the halls of our Congress. Shame, shame, shame...)

trumpshaman3.webp

trumpshaman2.webp

trumpshaman.webp

15 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

On the contrary, the Electoral College system keeps it very unfair, as voters in small states like North Dakota have more voting power than those in large states like California. And while there are some small blue states (Vermont) that have outsize power, and some large red states like Florida that have less (although Florida’s looking pretty purple again), this imbalance works in Republicans’ favor. Which is why a Democratic candidate can win the popular vote by millions of votes and still lose the election; that would never happen to a Republican candidate.

Oh please. Forever?? 

1 hour ago, watthong said:

"Threat to democracy?" Impossible, considering the kind of folks that Trump loves and considers "very special people..." Here are a few of Trump invitees for a tour of the Capitol as a bon voyage gesture to himself.

(One thing needs to be pointed out as weakness in our democracy is that it turned out that my local Lotus's has more bathroom stalls on its ground floor than in the halls of our Congress. Shame, shame, shame...)

trumpshaman3.webp

trumpshaman2.webp

trumpshaman.webp

Those pics are halarious. How could the one at Pelosi's desk not be here. 

Edited by alex8912