Thailand Introduces New Bill to Regulate Cannabis While Keeping It Legal

webfact

2 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

This is no surprise, like father like daughter.

I remember when Thaksin launched his "war on drugs" back in February of 2003. 

By May 2003 Prime Minister Thaksin declares “victory” in the war on drugs and announces a second phase that will last until December. The Royal Thai Police announce that 2,275 people have been killed since February 1 ... the war would continue.

Here is a bit of a time of events back then
https://www.hrw.org/news/2004/07/07/timeline-thailands-war-drugs

Thaksin's war on drugs was a disgrace. Over 2000 people killed, most of them entirely innocent of any crime. How he has a escaped facing justice for this murderous 'campaign' is extraordinary, to put it mildly.

• Thumbs Up 1

.2% flower and you might as well be smoking marigolds. What's the point? If you're going to call it medicine and prohibit recreational use, then you need medical-grade cannabis and a way of testing its potency and cannabinoid profile. .2% THC?? I'll smoke catnip first. With my cats. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ok - someone’s confused - maybe you were smoking the 2% stuff !!!

The articles quote two different THC strengths…. Or maybe I’m missing something there…. ? 

This is most likely a case of something being lost in translation. It should be 0.2% THC for extracts, as it has always been.

2 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

2% potency. How do they expect all the shops to test for this with every type of cannabis they sell. This new law makes it easy for the policing agency and government to walk in and make fines for any amount up to 100k easily. 

it comes down to balance scales. when the cops come... leaf on one side.. baht on the other, the more unbalanced with baht, the more legal it becomes.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Thaksin's war on drugs was a disgrace. Over 2000 people killed, most of them entirely innocent of any crime. How he has an escaped facing justice for this murderous 'campaign' is extraordinary, to put it mildly.

The war was going well. There’s no innocent when related to drugs. I’m talking about hardcore drugs here and I’m taking the Asian approach similar to the death penalties in many regional countries around here who implemented with success. 
And we all know why and how the war was prematurely halted

Edited by Hunz Kittisak
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

it comes down to balance scales. when the cops come... leaf on one side.. baht on the other, the more unbalanced with baht, the more legal it becomes.

Indeed

16 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

.2% flower and you might as well be smoking marigolds. What's the point? If you're going to call it medicine and prohibit recreational use, then you need medical-grade cannabis and a way of testing its potency and cannabinoid profile. .2% THC?? I'll smoke catnip first. With my cats. 

Agreed, no one will buy 0.2% cannabis, has little functional use - will kill industry leading to de facto criminalisation of recreational cannabis users.  Back to the stupidity of the Wars on Drugs, when they should focus on Yaba which is destroying rural Thailand!

1 hour ago, cookie1974 said:

The new amsterdam,weed itself is pretty harmless but its availability and the fact that its legal inevitably attracts people seeking harder drugs which in the last few years have exploded in their availability in thailand,they should have kept their draconian drug laws in place because once the box is opened they will never be able to close it.

That is also the reason no one should drink beer,before you realize it you will

yearn for something stronger and in a few years all beer drinkers will be full blown alcoholics!!!

(sorry can not find a sarcasm emoji and i do not want to confuse any beer drinkers.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If there is ever a war I would not want Thailand as an ally. They would either accidently shoot themselves in the foot an become a liability or even worse, shoot you accidently in the back. 

I have owned two condos there in the past. I would never buy property here again. The country is inherently too unstable

and run by a cabal of people in BBK with questionable intelligence.  

5 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

I remember someone in Amsterdam telling me that one big reason cannabis is "tolerated," is that pot smokers rarely cause problems. IMO, no one belongs in jail for smoking weed.

What about when they kill someone when driving under the influence of 'weed'?

3 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Agreed, no one will buy 0.2% cannabis, has little functional use - will kill industry leading to de facto criminalisation of recreational cannabis users.  Back to the stupidity of the Wars on Drugs, when they should focus on Yaba which is destroying rural Thailand!

Well, since I have to pay taxes now in Thailand, I'll be able to vote on this soon, right?  🙂

1 hour ago, Dr Jon said:

What about when they kill someone when driving under the influence of 'weed'?

Should be the same penalty as drunk driving. But I have never heard, read, or seen this happening. 

14 minutes ago, marin said:

Should be the same penalty as drunk driving. But I have never heard, read, or seen this happening. 

Not in Thailand  perhaps. In other countries, UK for example, traffic police routinely do drug wipes in the same way as they carry out alcohol breath tests.

The penalties for failing are similarly strict.

What I noticed in the OP was the wording "The proposed law, however, includes strict penalties for unauthorised cannabis consumption,"

That strikes me as saying you can sell it but when the buyer gets out on the street (s)he is liable to arrest.

Wouldn't that open the door for even more shakedowns of the public buyers, whilst protecting the sellers who might have been contributing to the police benevolent fund?

Or am I way too cynical? 🙄

I am pretty much done listening to governments and the like telling me what's good for my health and what isn't.  If we have to go back to being discreet and buying it illegally so be it. They have zero interest in your health or mine only to exercise control over the populace for there own gains.