Siamburi

bradiston

A mate reported that, during a recent visit, much of the fresh produce, cheese, butter etc, was covered and not for sale. This was apparently as a result of a visit by Thai FDA regarding imported chilled and frozen foods now requiring registration with the FDA.

Details are a bit sketchy I have to admit. Anyone more info on this?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

they sell fresh produce ?

Well, cheese and butter, and a whole raft of frozen foods. Fish, meat etc, to which this "order" applied. I meant as opposed to tins, packets, bottles etc etc.

• Like 1

Thai FDA approval is always required, some supermarkets that import their own stuff might have a few itms with no Thai label and FDA numbers on, usually for much cheaper than the ones that's been through Thai distributor/importer They've got away with it if the numbers are small enough and they're relatively low profile in case of supermarkets importing their own, the odd container every now and then or mates bringing suitcase full of stuff over

but when your business is built around importing stuff.... 

• Agree 1

..."a formal complaint by a member of the public". Read Competitor or disgruntled Thai trader.

Do Thai markets need to have FDA approval on the festering and fly ridden meat they sell with no refridgeration?

Hope that normal trade at Siamsburis will resume ASAP.

Edited by soi3eddie

Must admit I visited an Expat shop in Bong Koch area recently and was surprised to see rather empty shelves and a low stock of cheeses available. Suggested the place was running down.