Do you have a favourite accent??

I don't exactly have a favorite. I do enjoy deep Southern U.S. accents and Australian ones though I don't know about regional variations there. I also find posh British accents amusing. 

Sometimes hearing new accents can be painful. On a move to the midwest, I found that to be so, but over time I started to put on a fake one to fit in.

Hard to know about our own accents, but I haven't had even one person in my entire life tell me they loved hearing my accent and ask for me to speak more so they could enjoy it. I do know I am easily pegged as American though. 

A funny story about that riding a train in Italy as a 15 year old talking albeit rapidly and with much slang to my also American teen friend, there were two Italian young ladies listening to us. Eventually one said, we're on our way to London and we think we know English, but we don't understand a word you said, so now we're worried!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Do you have a favourite accent from regions of the UK

or other countries. 

My favourites are Liverpudlian and Irish. 

Least favourite Birmingham. Sorry brummies. 

Does that include the women?

18 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Love the Scots accent

The funniest I did watch for a long long time, still laughing thinking of it

Edited by Hummin

I hadn't thought to include non native English speakers in my thinking but I do like many of those. Colombian accented English comes to mind.

A related topic is which foreign languages do we enjoy hearing.

For me French (not Quebecois) , Brazilian Portuguese, and Argentinian Spanish are some favorites.

Among the most annoying to me are Vietnamese and European Portuguese which sounds like Russian but actual Russian sounds better. Not a big fan of Mexican Spanish either.

I used to travel frequently to The Dominican Republic (Puerta Plata/Sosúa) for some mongering. There was NOTHING that could get my soldier standing at attention better than listening to an angry Dominican chick going off on somebody.

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I hadn't thought to include non native English speakers in my thinking but I do like many of those. Colombian accented English comes to mind.

A related topic is which foreign languages do we enjoy hearing.

For me French (not Quebecois) , Brazilian Portuguese, and Argentinian Spanish are some favorites.

Among the most annoying to me are Vietnamese and European Portuguese which sounds like Russian but actual Russian sounds better. Not a big fan of Mexican Spanish either.

Well as a native American Spanish speaker I take a little offense to that.

But I do wish I could perfect that Spanish lisp It is kinda cool

And i know it's ridiculous  but I have actually tried to change my Spanish accent, to well 'Spanish' never with much success.

My Mom, wise woman that she was just called me an idiot and told me to embrace my own culture and not try to hijack someone else's

Edited by GinBoy2

22 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well as a native American Spanish speaker I take a little offense to that.

But I do wish I could perfect that Spanish lisp It is kinda cool

And i know it's ridiculous  but I have actually tried to change my Spanish accent, to well 'Spanish' never with much success.

My Mom, wise woman that she was just called me an idiot and told me to embrace my own culture and not try to hijack someone else's

Native American?
You're indigenous?

There is no Spanish Spanish.

It has many, many variations.

Speaking of which the most rude Spanish speakers I've ever encountered were in Madrid. Like most nationalities (excepting the French) tend to be appreciative if you're even trying though butchering their language, but I kept running into people there basically BARKING at me. Correcting yes but in deeply rude ways. Come to think of it most of the problems with them were about my pronunciation (not speaking with THEIR accent) rather than the actual words and sentences (which at my level were always simple). 

Edited by Jingthing

42 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Scots, Welsh and Irish.

I do find the American accent quite irritating occasionally.

I'm American and can't argue with that but for me it depends on WHICH American accent.

I think the most common complaint is the LOUDNESS like if abroad you can hear a group of them blocks away.

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Native American?
You're indigenous?

There is no Spanish Spanish.

It has many, many variations.

Speaking of which the most rude Spanish speakers I've ever encountered were in Madrid. Like most nationalities (excepting the French) tend to be appreciative if you're even trying though butchering their language, but I kept running into people there basically BARKING at me. Correcting yes but in deeply rude ways.

well of course I'm not native American.

But accents are subtle. 

I'm Mexican decent, but even visiting family, even though I speak Spanish as a primary language every Mexican knows I'm American. 

I think that why I tried to get the Spanish lisp. If you don't speak Spanish who probably don''t get it, but it's a very cool way to speak Spanish.

Now I'm too old to be bothered, and my Californian Spanish is what it is 

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

well of course I'm not native American.

But accents are subtle. 

I'm Mexican decent, but even visiting family, even though I speak Spanish as a primary language every Mexican knows I'm American. 

I think that why I tried to get the Spanish lisp. If you don't speak Spanish who probably don''t get it, but it's a very cool way to speak Spanish.

Now I'm too old to be bothered, and my Californian Spanish is what it is 

So much vulgarity.

Can be fun but not so much if it's directed at you.

Compared to Argentinian Spanish which sounds like Italian but even more musical and lovely.

Edited by Jingthing

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm American and can't argue with that but for me it depends on WHICH American accent.

I think the most common complaint is the LOUDNESS like if abroad you can hear a group of them blocks away.

It depends on who is doing the talking. James Earl Jones, Sam Elliot and Morgan Freeman are pleasant to listen to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the French accent, but not so much the stronger southern French accent. I also what is described as Received Pronunciation English.

Also the Cornish accent. I did read somewhere that the accent in the south west of England is the one nearest to Old English, as would have been spoken in Shakespeare's time.