School Bus Fire Claims Multiple Lives and Injures Young Students in Rangsit

Georgealbert

RIP to the kids and teachers who perished locked-up in a hell of fire.

What can be said about this?
- Thailand IS AND WILL EVER BE A 3rd-WORLD COUNTRY.

- Every bus in Europe needs to have "windows smashers" on every row of seats and most of us know how to use them. Was this feature mounted on the bus and did the children/teacher how to use them?
- Who is to blame here?
  - The driver who knew that he was driving a modified vehicle to run in NGV and did a runner?
  - The school for allowing the bus company to drive the students/children in a bus that did lack of every security?
  - The Thai government who allow these buses to be on the road, knowing very well that they are death traps?

- THE SMILING SERPENTS WHO HAVE THE GUTS TO PUT-UP A SHOW LIKE THIS IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN WHO WITHNESSED THEIR FRIENDS AND TEACHERS BURN TO ASHES ALIVE A FEW HOURS BEFORE?

If the parents of these children have balls, each of these serpents were now declared "Death or Alive".

GYyuKF3aUAA6X8w.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

(1/3) BREAKING: Just before the fatal bus carrying 44 students and teachers caught fire in Pathum Thani, it had sideswiped a black Mercedes-Benz that was traveling from Rangsit to Bangkok in the far right lane, shortly after noon on Tues.

(2/3) The insurance agent for the Mercedes revealed that the bus was moving from the middle lane and veered into their lane. It's believed this happened at the moment when one of the bus's tires exploded.

This caused the Mercedes to hit the center barrier and scrape along it for abt 100 meters. The Mercedes driver quickly braked. The driver quickly exited the vehicle. Meanwhile, the bus continued for about 400-500 meters before catching fire.

https://x.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1841070198130163982

Dash-cam?

35 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

So do mine, but I got into a heated argument with my daughters teacher, who believes the children don't need to wear seatbelts. In fact, the last trip was by minibus, where the driver had zip-tied the seatbelts out of the way, and my daughter confronted him on it, the teacher said it was "OK, not needed". My daughter was scared to confront the teacher after the teacher didn't stand up for her, and knew my rule that she isn't allowed to go in any vehicle unless she wears one, the teacher kept her on the minibus. I went down one side of the teacher and down the other, I wanted her fired! I told my daughter under no circumstances will she be allowed to ride in any vehicle at school without a seatbelt being used, if they don't have them, or are deliberately sabotaged, she is to get off the bus. I will gladly come pick her up, but there is no way she is not wearing one. My anger over the lack of safety in this country is my major issue with Thailand, and I am sick of the people who allow it to happen, and with blatant ignorance, continue to defend it. 

Awesome - giving your child the empowerment to follow your (and her) safety standards is fantastic....

Many parents will just say 'play along' you can't change the culture etc, but I have a firm respect for every parent whatever their nationality who teaches their children to stand up for their very own basic safety standards.

I just wish adults here acted with the same empowerment - that would already start to make headway into improving safety standards... if the drivers were 'able' to question the safety of their vehicle without risk of being fired etc... or if they were able to drive a maximum limit of hours etc without loss of money etc...   (no - thats not racist Kwilco)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep...   that happens with my kids too...   I had concerns that this meant they 'blasted through' everywhere... but one of the parents (neurotic) also followed and reported back to the 'mums' that the drivers were safe.

On my Son's first field trip (he was 3 or 4) I questioned the use of child safety seats in the busses - and received a very disappointing response (International School).

I hate to disappoint you but this is not always the case. I witnessed one such incident just this afternoon on Srinakarin Road with four coaches speeding down the outside lane following a police motorbike.  Not even a bus length between them. A tyre blow-out or emergency stop by one and the following buses would be unable to avoid an accident. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tandor said:

.IMO the cause is not engine failure or a gas leak but the seizing up of the front left wheel bearing causing the bus to come to a grinding halt, smoke billowing then fire erupting..have a closer look at the CCTV footage.

If it came to a grinding halt why was it also reported that it continued for another half a kilometre? Something very wrong with that left near side wheel though. May be taking 400 to 500 metres to stop has been reported incorrectly. As for people who video a tragedy unfolding but bravely carry on videoing, what can you say.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Only a fool is incapable of looking around and making clear and factual observations. 

Only an idiot thinks those observations hold no validity whatsoever in establishing patterns, even if anecdotal. 

And... only a ridiculous apologist thinks any of this equates to racism or bigotry...   

You, Kwilco, try so extremely hard to shoe horn accusations of bigotry and racism into these discussions because you are unable to explain the patterns any other way - the observations of these patterns are not racism, they are not bigotry - they are simply identification of a systemic weakness and those weaknesses exist in many countries.

These weaknesses exist in countries with white people too... they exist in the UK. different issues to a difference extent - yet patterns and weaknesses can also be identified through observation - and that is why you are wrong when you attempt to kneecap commonsense discussion with flawed accusations of racism and bigotry - in this example, trying to drop the 'woke bomb' fails when the issue is human nature. 

You are using this tragedy to reinforce your own "master race" sense of superiority.

Like others on this thread you are looking around to blame some Thai person so you don't actually have to think about what actually happened and why.

Why is it that people who cling to racist philosophies so tightly spend so much time claiming they aren't racist?

It seems that burning gas must have been able to enter freely the cab of the bus.  Which from the photos does not appear to be badly crumpled by its impact with the barrier.  

I am guessing that reducing the potential for similar accidents in the future requires giving attention to this problem: ensuring there is as little chance as possible that gas escaping from a severed pipe can enter the cab.

It is very disturbing that the amateur crash reporters are so fixated upon try to find blame in the collision that may have started this tragedy. the REAL question is why, after a relatively minor collision did it escalate into a major disaster.

What needs to be looked at is the whole situation with regards to coaches and safety.

Collisions WILL happen it is what we do to mitigate the ramifications that is most important.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Busses should not burn that quickly trapping so many inside. If this bus is one of those fitted with a cheap gas conversion somebody has blood on their hands.

Agreed.   The bus has next to no visible impact damage.  Yet it's caught fire.

Passenger cars are subject to various crash test that leave the cars heavily deformed after crashing into solid barriers at 30mph.  They still must not catch fire after such tests.  
I presume the same kind of principles apply to the engineering of buses in developed countries.

I note it's a Mercedes Benz bus.  I suspect it would be some kind of aftermarket conversion to catch fire like this.  

Edited by jaizan

27 minutes ago, jaizan said:

Agreed.   The bus has next to no visible impact damage.  Yet it's caught fire.

Passenger cars are subject to various crash test that leave the cars heavily deformed after crashing into solid barriers at 30mph.  They still must not catch fire after such tests.  
I presume the same kind of principles apply to the engineering of buses in developed countries.

I note it's a Mercedes Benz bus.  I suspect it would be some kind of aftermarket conversion to catch fire like this.  

27 minutes ago, jaizan said:

note it's a Mercedes Benz bus. 

Most of these buses are built on second-hand (imported) chassis - the bodywork was probably done in Thailand - even without the gas it's very likely the interior was not in proper fire retardant gadding - it's an automotive Grenfell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because I have a 12 year old I find this very disturbing,I sincerely hope this was an accident and not because of bad mechanical engineering by a back yard mechanic who knows nothing.The cause of this should be clearly and strongly looked into and if anyone is guilty of negligence hang them from the nearest post.RIP

UPDATE:

Death toll in bus blaze tragedy rises to 25, 22 students, 3 teachers
by Petch Petpailin

COVER-PIC-2024-10-01T143052.webp
Photo via Facebook/ Fire & Rescue Thailand

The death toll from a devastating bus blaze tragedy today on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road in Pathum Thani province near Bangkok has soared to 25. Among the victims were 22 young students and three teachers.

According to a grim update by KhaoSod, the ill-fated coach was packed with 44 students, aged between three and nine, along with their devoted teachers from Wat Khao Phraya Sangkharam School in Uthai Thani. The group was eagerly heading to a field trip to Ayutthaya Historical Park and the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand Learning Centre in Nonthaburi.

Disaster struck when a tyre burst mid-journey, causing the driver to lose control of the bus. The vehicle then careened into a traffic barrier in the right lane, igniting a catastrophic fire that would claim the lives of so many.

The media reported that the students from the school were travelling in three separate buses, and the fire broke out on bus number 3.

After extinguishing the fire, rescuers examined the bus and discovered the tragic sight of more than 10 victims lying lifeless near the emergency exits and other car doors.

Initially, Thai news agencies reported that 10 students lost their lives in the incident, 19 others managed to escape, while 15 remained missing.

The latest update from KhaoSod at around 2pm revealed that 25 victims were killed in the bus fire, including 22 students and three teachers. Their ages and identities have not yet been disclosed. There has been no report regarding the coach driver.

A surviving teacher told KhaoSod that she tried to evacuate each student but the doors would not open leaving many students and teachers trapped inside the vehicle.

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra reportedly broke down in tears upon hearing the news after a parliamentary meeting. She later cancelled her schedule and planned to visit the hospital to meet the victims. PM Paetongtarn shared on her X (Twitter) account…

“I am aware of the fire on the bus from Uthai Thani, which was carrying students on a field trip when the fire broke out on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road, near Bangkok, resulting in multiple deaths and injuries.

As a mother, I want to express my deepest condolences to the families of the injured and deceased. As the head of the government, I assigned Anutin Charnvirakul, Suriya Juangroongruangkit, and Sabida Thaiseth to rush to the scene. The government will ensure that all medical treatment and compensation for the affected families are fully provided.”

One family, whose eight year old son Ong-art Jaisaen was on the trip, came forward to urge ThaiRath to share a missing poster of the boy, as they were desperate to know if he was safe. Many netizens sent their wishes for his safe return and hoped he would soon be reunited with his family.

ORIGINAL STORY: BREAKING: 10 Thai kindergarten students killed in bus blaze

Ten kindergarten students tragically lost their lives, and many others were injured, after a fire broke out on a coach during a school field trip outside Zeer Rangsit mall on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road in Pathum Thani province, near Bangkok.

The blaze, which erupted on the coach at around 12.20pm today, October 1, was reported by the Facebook page Fire & Rescue Thailand. The ill-fated bus was carrying enthusiastic students from Wat Khao Phraya Sangkharam School in the central province of Uthai Thani, aged between four and five years old.

The group was en route to a highly anticipated field trip when disaster struck. Of the 42 teachers and pupils on board, only 19 managed to escape the inferno in time.

Firefighters from the Hongskul Khlong Luang 21 Rescue Foundation swiftly closed the road and battled the fierce flames. Although the blaze has now been brought under control, rescuers have yet to inspect the interior of the bus for safety reasons.

According to a report from KhaoSod, ten kindergarten students were pronounced dead at the scene, and many others were injured. The identities and ages of the victims have not yet been disclosed.

The Facebook news page Ton News, also known as Khon Khao Prakan, reported at about 1.10pm that six injured victims were rushed to the hospital.

KhaoSod added that the students were on their way to the Ayutthaya Historical Park in the central province of Ayutthaya and the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand Learning Centre in the central province of Nonthaburi.

It is believed the cause of the fire was sparked when a tyre burst, making the bus crash into a traffic barrier.

Shortly after, a loud noise emanated from inside the house. Upon investigation, Samphan discovered the house was engulfed in flames. Despite his efforts to douse the fire with water, it spread rapidly, prompting him to call for help.

Source: The Thaiger 

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

It's so sad that people seem to think they are so much better by making assumptions about an incident when there is no accident report or any evidence to support that opion a..it's just an opportunity for bigotry and racism. In fact it is THEY who are so inadequate

you talk rubbish, the article said a tyre burst, you can only go by what the article said, maybe try reading

UPDATE
Bus Driver Faces Two Charges After Fiery Crash Kills Teachers and Students

IMG_6276.jpeg

Authorities have charged the driver of a bus involved in a tragic incident that claimed the lives of teachers and students with two offenses. The driver, 48-year-old Saman Chanputh, initially fled the scene but later turned himself in, citing shock as the reason for his escape. Investigations into the owner of the bus are ongoing as authorities examine the vehicle to determine if further charges will be filed.

At around 23:30 on October 1,  Police Major General Chayanan Mee-sati, Deputy Commissioner of Provincial Police Region 1, along with Police Major General Thanayut Jonkhun, Commander of Pathum Thani Provincial Police, arrived to question Saman Chanputh.

Saman Chanputh, who had gone to his wife's house in Ang Thong Province, surrendered to local police and was later transferred to the custody of Khu Khot Police Station for questioning.

According to Police Major General Chayanan, Saman faces two primary charges: 

1. ‘Negligent driving causing death’: Driving in a manner likely to endanger life or property, leading to fatalities and injuries.  

2. ‘Failure to stop and assist’: Leaving the scene of a crash without offering assistance, identifying himself, or notifying authorities, resulting in the deaths of others.

These charges fall under Section 291 of the Criminal Code and the Land Traffic Act of 1979 (Sections 43(4), 78, 157, and 160).

Saman explained that he had been driving the second bus in a convoy at a speed of 70–80 km/h. As they approached the incident site, the he lost control after hitting what he described as a pothole, which may have caused a tyre blowout or an airbag failure. This resulted in the bus veering to the right and sideswiping a Mercedes-Benz before skidding into a barrier.

Following the crash, Saman initially attempted to extinguish the fire using an extinguisher from another vehicle. However, panic set in, prompting him to flee to a relative’s house. He later surrendered to police at the Wiset Chai Chan Police Station.

Authorities are continuing their investigation into the incident, and a thorough inspection of the bus will determine if the vehicle's owner will face charges as well.

The lawyer representing the bus company involved in the incident met with police to provide an explanation regarding the malfunction of the emergency exit door. He expressed deep regret over the incident and assured full compensation for the victims, while affirming that the bus had been regularly inspected and maintained according to transportation regulations.

At 21:30 on October 1, 2024, Mr. Atthaphon Rueangsarn, known as Lawyer Til, acting as the legal representative for Shinbutr Tour Company, arrived at Khu Khot Police Station. Speaking to the media, Mr. Atthaphon conveyed condolences on behalf of the company. "No one wanted this to happen. It is a great loss for the youth of Thailand," he said, expressing the company’s sorrow over the tragedy.

Mr. Atthaphon confirmed that the bus company had cooperated fully with the police investigation, providing all necessary details about the vehicle and the driver. He emphasized that the company is committed to compensating the victims and accepts civil and commercial responsibility for the incident.

He also stated, "The bus has undergone regular inspections according to transportation regulations. All vehicle registrations and safety checks, including the installation of the gas system, followed proper engineering standards as required by the Department of Land Transport."

Regarding the malfunction of the emergency exit door, Mr. Atthaphon explained that the door had been regularly inspected and was functioning normally. However, due to its heavy weight, it might have been difficult for the children and teachers to open in the panic of the situation. This issue is currently under further investigation.

Mr. Atthaphon then proceeded to meet with investigators to provide additional statements on behalf of the bus company.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-4.png

image.png

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you talk rubbish, the article said a tyre burst, you can only go by what the article said, maybe try reading

You are so naive - So what if the tire burst and so what about the Merc - do you seriously think that would cause that kind of fire if the bus was set up right?

I is beyond me how unintelligent some people can be - I don't understand the first thing about what happened.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I is beyond me how unintelligent some people can be - I don't understand the first thing about what happened.

You should understand the tyre burst, you won't understand anymore than that

16 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

According to early reports, there were 42 individuals aboard the bus, including kindergarten students and teachers. So far, 19 individuals have been confirmed to have escaped unharmed.

OMG... 

15 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

OMG' anyone with school kids going on trips must be very nervous I know I Am' my 10 year old is supposed to be going on one Thursday I was already before this, starting to feel uneasy.

This countries appalling school safety laid burning bare in a few photos sickening kids failed by adults Rip.🤔  

About time the transport minister did something about Thailands death roads.

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You should understand the tyre burst, you won't understand anymore than that

You are making some VERY stupid remarks. THis is an incident where children died and all you can do is go one about a tire  - you are doing a diservice to their young lives - it's quite disgusting.

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

About time the transport minister did something about Thailands death roads.

sadly, that will happen for a few weeks (as a face saving), after that back to normal ... the deaths and the killing on the road will continue. ...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

UPDATE:

Death toll in bus blaze tragedy rises to 25, 22 students, 3 teachers
by Petch Petpailin

COVER-PIC-2024-10-01T143052.webp
Photo via Facebook/ Fire & Rescue Thailand

The death toll from a devastating bus blaze tragedy today on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road in Pathum Thani province near Bangkok has soared to 25. Among the victims were 22 young students and three teachers.

According to a grim update by KhaoSod, the ill-fated coach was packed with 44 students, aged between three and nine, along with their devoted teachers from Wat Khao Phraya Sangkharam School in Uthai Thani. The group was eagerly heading to a field trip to Ayutthaya Historical Park and the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand Learning Centre in Nonthaburi.

Disaster struck when a tyre burst mid-journey, causing the driver to lose control of the bus. The vehicle then careened into a traffic barrier in the right lane, igniting a catastrophic fire that would claim the lives of so many.

The media reported that the students from the school were travelling in three separate buses, and the fire broke out on bus number 3.

After extinguishing the fire, rescuers examined the bus and discovered the tragic sight of more than 10 victims lying lifeless near the emergency exits and other car doors.

Initially, Thai news agencies reported that 10 students lost their lives in the incident, 19 others managed to escape, while 15 remained missing.

The latest update from KhaoSod at around 2pm revealed that 25 victims were killed in the bus fire, including 22 students and three teachers. Their ages and identities have not yet been disclosed. There has been no report regarding the coach driver.

A surviving teacher told KhaoSod that she tried to evacuate each student but the doors would not open leaving many students and teachers trapped inside the vehicle.

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra reportedly broke down in tears upon hearing the news after a parliamentary meeting. She later cancelled her schedule and planned to visit the hospital to meet the victims. PM Paetongtarn shared on her X (Twitter) account…

“I am aware of the fire on the bus from Uthai Thani, which was carrying students on a field trip when the fire broke out on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road, near Bangkok, resulting in multiple deaths and injuries.

As a mother, I want to express my deepest condolences to the families of the injured and deceased. As the head of the government, I assigned Anutin Charnvirakul, Suriya Juangroongruangkit, and Sabida Thaiseth to rush to the scene. The government will ensure that all medical treatment and compensation for the affected families are fully provided.”

One family, whose eight year old son Ong-art Jaisaen was on the trip, came forward to urge ThaiRath to share a missing poster of the boy, as they were desperate to know if he was safe. Many netizens sent their wishes for his safe return and hoped he would soon be reunited with his family.

ORIGINAL STORY: BREAKING: 10 Thai kindergarten students killed in bus blaze

Ten kindergarten students tragically lost their lives, and many others were injured, after a fire broke out on a coach during a school field trip outside Zeer Rangsit mall on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road in Pathum Thani province, near Bangkok.

The blaze, which erupted on the coach at around 12.20pm today, October 1, was reported by the Facebook page Fire & Rescue Thailand. The ill-fated bus was carrying enthusiastic students from Wat Khao Phraya Sangkharam School in the central province of Uthai Thani, aged between four and five years old.

The group was en route to a highly anticipated field trip when disaster struck. Of the 42 teachers and pupils on board, only 19 managed to escape the inferno in time.

Firefighters from the Hongskul Khlong Luang 21 Rescue Foundation swiftly closed the road and battled the fierce flames. Although the blaze has now been brought under control, rescuers have yet to inspect the interior of the bus for safety reasons.

According to a report from KhaoSod, ten kindergarten students were pronounced dead at the scene, and many others were injured. The identities and ages of the victims have not yet been disclosed.

The Facebook news page Ton News, also known as Khon Khao Prakan, reported at about 1.10pm that six injured victims were rushed to the hospital.

KhaoSod added that the students were on their way to the Ayutthaya Historical Park in the central province of Ayutthaya and the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand Learning Centre in the central province of Nonthaburi.

It is believed the cause of the fire was sparked when a tyre burst, making the bus crash into a traffic barrier.

Shortly after, a loud noise emanated from inside the house. Upon investigation, Samphan discovered the house was engulfed in flames. Despite his efforts to douse the fire with water, it spread rapidly, prompting him to call for help.

Source: The Thaiger 

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-2.png

image.png

Heartfelt condolences on this tragic incident. Loss of life is always heart breaking.  God bless the souls of the deceased children... and give strength to the families to bear the pain... 🙏 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Regarding the malfunction of the emergency exit door, Mr. Atthaphon explained that the door had been regularly inspected and was functioning normally. However, due to its heavy weight, it might have been difficult for the children and teachers to open in the panic of the situation. This issue is currently under further investigation.

What ?? What would it's weight have to do with opening it ? I would think all door opening levers or buttons would be where the driver sits or right beside the door incase of emergency. This was the case when I would travel on buses and that was 30 years ago !

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

They are mapping the seating plan on the coach to help identify the bodies, as most were burned beyond recognition.

Unless the seating arrangement was documented before travel how in gods name is that going to help?