Frozen in time: British expats losing out on pensions in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, connda said:

It's not the end of the world.  My pension isn't linked to inflation.  I get the same amount as I got when I retired in 2007.  You plan and make do.

Or as some do keep a UK address and not having to make do :thumbsup:

Edited by proton
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Straight8 said:

40 years & didn't save for retirement, buddy, that's on you.

That's always the issue, people spending at will in their 20's, 30's, 40's 50's, and then complaining about the Pension not being enough.

From starting my first job in 1974 I started saving for retirement. I assume that USA Social Security would never be there for me when I needed it. I was wrong about that and I'm getting  $2,800 a month from Social Security now but still I don't expect it to last.

I retired at 67 full retirement age , and immediately came to Thailand and have been here ever since. I know some expats who retired in their early fifties and are now worried about money. So they were having a good time here in Thailand for more than 12 years while I was still working. They made a decision and took their choice just like I did. I didn't want to worry about money during my entire retirement so the decision was easy for me.

I will say that I enjoyed my career quite a bit and was satisfied to wait until 67 as my earnings every year were going up. I guess if you hate your job that makes a difference.

So I'm very glad that I saved more than I could need for the next 15 years that I expect to live.

Anybody who depends on the State for their retirement is taking a big gamble IMO. When you take a gamble you must always be prepared to lose.

26 minutes ago, 231778_1469957276 said:

Not only do the pensions freeze but if you return to the UK for a vacation, in theory you should purchase travel insurance because after 6 months out of the country, you lose all your NHS entitlement.....absolute joke!!!!

No You DON'T......I've been OUT of the U.K. for 9 Years & Spoke to my U.K. GP Last Year & He told me he'd treat me if I returned !!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 231778_1469957276 said:

Not only do the pensions freeze but if you return to the UK for a vacation, in theory you should purchase travel insurance because after 6 months out of the country, you lose all your NHS entitlement.....absolute joke!!!!

Why YOU Post THIS 3 Times ??

57 minutes ago, baansgr said:

That doesn't answer my question, what was rasist?

I have no idea,  I think it was because somebody dared to use the words "illegal" and "immigrant" in the same sentence  Two attempts to spell racist ?  switch your spell checker on if its that difficult

UK State Pension is frozen, meaning no annual increases ever, living in Thailand, Australia, Canada etc. However, it is not frozen, meaning you do get annual increases living in USA, Philippines and EU countries. Of course this is grossly inequitable as State Pension is based on number of years of NI contributions, to a max of 35 years for full pension. Without the annual increases it loses value in real terms. UK governments have been lobbied for years to change this inequity but all have refused to do so.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, proton said:

They wont extradite and imprison pensioners for not telling them they are in Thailand, don't be silly. Worst case is having pension put back to the level when you left the UK.

Worst case is having pension put back to the level when you left the UK......But I Get EXACTLY the same as I did then....Oh ! Sorry .....I Got a 4p Increase when I Came here & it's been frozen since, They CAN have the 4p Back Anytime they want........

59 minutes ago, sambum said:

"He didn't have his pension frozen."

He had his pension frozen at the amount that it was when he first moved away from the UK - depends how you read it!

Which ever way one reads it , he has only just moved here, he has not been due for any rise yet, nor will he be. now    Your advice to "say nowt" is sound enough but this idiot is doing the opposite by broadcasting it on social media

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

No he doesnt I can assure you of that.

In that case, he needs to urgently contact the overseas pensions office in the UK because he is 100% eligible to the annual increase, thanks to the social security agreement between the UK and the PI.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Ajarnbrian said:

UK State Pension is frozen, meaning no annual increases ever, living in Thailand, Australia, Canada etc. However, it is not frozen, meaning you do get annual increases living in USA, Philippines and EU countries. Of course this is grossly inequitable as State Pension is based on number of years of NI contributions, to a max of 35 years for full pension. Without the annual increases it loses value in real terms. UK governments have been lobbied for years to change this inequity but all have refused to do so.

35 years for full pension....30 Years in my case.....

2 minutes ago, Blueman1 said:

35 years for full pension....30 Years in my case.....

40 in my case (was contracted out for a few years). 

Thats assuming the rules don’t change between now & 2033 when  eligible to collect it. 

2 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

It's a technicality,in order for the funds to escape taxation there can't be a legally defined benefactor, that's why the trustees have the final decision. In practice your expressed will will always be observed. Calm down and don't make a rash decision based on an imaginary problem. Believe me I know about will trusts..

thanks for the advice 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Blueman1 said:

Are YOU Really ??

well prove that you are not talking out of your a$$ and give me some examples of people receiving custodial sentences for failing to inform the DWP that they live in Thailand     If you cannot then you were indeed talking cr@p

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, sumongkhwai said:

I read somewhere that Nana and nearby have some outstanding beeches in Thailand.

Ridiculous response to an issue of concern to any Brits here living on a meager pension. It is a gross injustice as OP would have been paying in to the NI fund. You clearly have too much time on your hands writingdrivel.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

NI (National Insurance) is just another word for tax. Has nothing to do with the "benefits" you might get.

You realise there is no set aside pension fund.

A UK pension is funded by CURRENT taxpayers...your NI contributions paid for pensioners when you were working.

Pensioners are supported by today's taxpayers not your historic  NI contributions. What you paid in wouldn't keep a mouse alive these days.

How pensions are paid or frozen has been in place for decades...their is no reason to be surprised or indignant, you should have known already and taken it into account before retiring in a different country.

UK has a very wisely pension system... it basically is a barbies system designed to keep pensioners from starvation. Unlike EU countries which have much higher levels and benefits to boot.

Edited by kwilco
  • Haha 1

The cluster fxck reaction to those

So-called "traitors" daring to leave their European home SH, by moving to another country to spend their own earned pension. 

Instead of spending it into the "woke", corrupt, but bankrupt eco-system. Aka, not supporting the globalist population exchange program, mostly with antisemitic low-live cavemen, of incompatible "cultures".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, itsari said:

I agree , the Australian Government is doing far more injustice to there taxpayers with there portability of old age pension rules .

UK pensions are frozen in Australia too 

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

So what? Doesn't make it right. Unbelievable some of the people on here.

Agreed it isn't right....but it hasn't changed for years so anyone retiring in Thailand should have been capable of taking this into account. It's not a change in the situation....it has been in force for decades.

14 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

rubbish

If the DWP find out your real abode, they simply stop your pension until you repay all overpayments. UK govts situation is dire now and likely to worsen. Let’s hope pensions are not conditional on   UK residence.

• Haha 1

Just now, kwilco said:

UK pensions are frozen in Australia too 

Yes indeed they are and when considering that many pensioners go to Australia to be with there children that have made Australia there home one can realise  how unjust it is.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jarse said:

If the DWP find out your real abode, they simply stop your pension until you repay all overpayments. UK govts situation is dire now and likely to worsen. Let’s hope pensions are not conditional on   UK residence.

State Pensions are not a “Sanctionable Benefit” so they can’t stop paying it, but they can stop paying any other benefits you might be claiming.   

• Agree 1

While I totally understand the unfairness of this policy, I really cannot for the life of me understand how in less than 6 months (not even due an annual increase) this Brit guy can go from expecting to be living in "Paradise" into a "Financial Nightmare"  Hell, the yearly increase is probably less than a tenner! Must be living on a knife edge.

At least you can enjoy what is left of paradise rather than having to suffer the horrors of living in that Shi%hole that once was "Great Britain"

I might be wrong but I think you can return to the UK and have your pension re-linked back to the normal system..... nothing to stop you leaving again.

Edited by Formaleins
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Typical British complaints for what?

I assume they have a life there and they make the decision to come here knowing the consequences.   Now they complain? Seems really stupid.

I never knew about the UK stealing money from OAP's living in Thailand by not giving them their annual increases until after I had moved here.

So what is stupid about that?