Huge markup on imported foods. Why?

giddyup

On 10/7/2024 at 12:52 AM, BritManToo said:

Teapot 50% butter blend (YoK) is good enough for me @100bht for 500g. 

Are you sure that stuff is legit?

50% of 500g = 250g of pure butter yet 260g of pure butter costs about 370B???

Another one for TIT list or am I missing something?

Also, anyone tried to make their own?

Edited by BruceWayne

44 minutes ago, BruceWayne said:

Are you sure that stuff is legit?

50% of 500g = 250g of pure butter yet 260g of pure butter costs about 370B???

Another one for TIT list or am I missing something?

Also, anyone tried to make their own?

I think you are confused. 500 grams of Anchor costs less than 260 baht.

But regardless of that, how can I put this politely...?

Teapot is from the same company that, how can I say it, modified the recipe of Carnation products in Asia. So instead of whole milk, you get a little milk powder and a lot of additives.  Teapot, Magnolia, Carnation, Bear Brand... 

I wouldn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, if I want butter that I'm actually going to eat, I would buy an imported product that stated that it was made from cream and nothing else. Not made under licence in any other country or Butter oil, skimmed milk powder nor any other nonsense. 

If I'm going to cook with it, Anchor will do in a pinch. If I going to eat it with bread or some such; Waitrose Organic or a similar quality. But in practice I use EVOO.

Of course if you don't care, you can eat anything.

On 10/4/2024 at 5:59 PM, ravip said:

By the way, what happened to Maxwell House Coffee ? Haven't seen it around for decades!  That US coffee in the red jar. Not really a favorite of mine, but...

Maxwell changed their ingredients slightly about 2006, just before we moved to Thailand.  We switched to Nescafe.

2 hours ago, NowNow said:

Personally, if I want butter that I'm actually going to eat, I would buy an imported product that stated that it was made from cream and nothing else. Not made under licence in any other country or Butter oil, skimmed milk powder nor any other nonsense. 

If I'm going to cook with it, Anchor will do in a pinch. If I going to eat it with bread or some such; Waitrose Organic or a similar quality. But in practice I use EVOO.

Of course if you don't care, you can eat anything.

MAJOR problem with Thailand imho.

Seems cheap overall but VERY low quality - applies to EVERYTHING (apart from the obvious 💋) it seems with very few exceptions.

If you want a comparable quality of life with the west it's VERY expensive though it's easy for us to rationalise it away.