Huge markup on imported foods. Why?

giddyup

On 10/7/2024 at 12:52 AM, BritManToo said:

Teapot 50% butter blend (YoK) is good enough for me @100bht for 500g. 

Are you sure that stuff is legit?

50% of 500g = 250g of pure butter yet 260g of pure butter costs about 370B???

Another one for TIT list or am I missing something?

Also, anyone tried to make their own?

Edited by BruceWayne

44 minutes ago, BruceWayne said:

Are you sure that stuff is legit?

50% of 500g = 250g of pure butter yet 260g of pure butter costs about 370B???

Another one for TIT list or am I missing something?

Also, anyone tried to make their own?

I think you are confused. 500 grams of Anchor costs less than 260 baht.

But regardless of that, how can I put this politely...?

Teapot is from the same company that, how can I say it, modified the recipe of Carnation products in Asia. So instead of whole milk, you get a little milk powder and a lot of additives.  Teapot, Magnolia, Carnation, Bear Brand... 

I wouldn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, if I want butter that I'm actually going to eat, I would buy an imported product that stated that it was made from cream and nothing else. Not made under licence in any other country or Butter oil, skimmed milk powder nor any other nonsense. 

If I'm going to cook with it, Anchor will do in a pinch. If I going to eat it with bread or some such; Waitrose Organic or a similar quality. But in practice I use EVOO.

Of course if you don't care, you can eat anything.

On 10/4/2024 at 5:59 PM, ravip said:

By the way, what happened to Maxwell House Coffee ? Haven't seen it around for decades!  That US coffee in the red jar. Not really a favorite of mine, but...

Maxwell changed their ingredients slightly about 2006, just before we moved to Thailand.  We switched to Nescafe.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NowNow said:

Personally, if I want butter that I'm actually going to eat, I would buy an imported product that stated that it was made from cream and nothing else. Not made under licence in any other country or Butter oil, skimmed milk powder nor any other nonsense. 

If I'm going to cook with it, Anchor will do in a pinch. If I going to eat it with bread or some such; Waitrose Organic or a similar quality. But in practice I use EVOO.

Of course if you don't care, you can eat anything.

MAJOR problem with Thailand imho.

Seems cheap overall but VERY low quality - applies to EVERYTHING (apart from the obvious 💋) it seems with very few exceptions.

If you want a comparable quality of life with the west it's VERY expensive though it's easy for us to rationalise it away.

On 10/4/2024 at 7:49 AM, giddyup said:

My gripe for today.

I understand there are shipping costs and tax, but how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand? If Australia imposed those kind of markups on Thai products I doubt they'd be able to sell a kilo of rice.

totally agree.  we have been shopping at TOPPS for the last year with occassional stops at Villamart (Latkrabang) I have been buying olive oil for years and the past year the prices have more than doubled now about 700-800 baht, for unfiltered apple cider vinegar - 650-700 baht, and then yesterday at Villamart I was looking for rolled oats )(1 kilo) from US was 600 baht!!!!! I buy from UK or Aus for less than 300 (organic) or less than 200 from Australia.  I read about the olive groves in Spain and those problems to try to explain why the great increase but looking at some of the fruits and veggies even local, I am amazed that the locals can afford to shop there at all.  I guess it is like the complaints from the Americans in the US - the explanations for the high costs of groceries and other items is due to the inflation during the pandemic period - that is over, inflation is barely above 2% now so why are the prices still so high there too?  Guess the rich just need to get richer to keep up with their neighbors.  Same with the big pharma folks and health insurers - now I see their member costs are for "Cadillac coverage" based on the costs!  getting extremely expensive.

On 10/4/2024 at 7:49 AM, giddyup said:

how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand?

Easy - at $4.2 a jar, they might land it at $7-8 and then a 50% mark up as it is probably not a high volume item but they stock it to meet the requests of a few customers. I have never tasted the stuff myself... but when you do the math and figure in their costs of doing business, it doesn't sound that expensive to me.. 

13 hours ago, BruceWayne said:

MAJOR problem with Thailand imho.

Seems cheap overall but VERY low quality - applies to EVERYTHING (apart from the obvious 💋) it seems with very few exceptions.

If you want a comparable quality of life with the west it's VERY expensive though it's easy for us to rationalise it away.

I have been coming here a long time before retiring here. I never heard a government official or anyone promote retirement here because it is cheap... sounds like your mate just talking eh? 

I enjoy that many things are much cheaper, but I do not expect it or feel it is a guarantee... there are many things that go into the price equation...