British National Killed in Sattahip Motorcycle Accident

Georgealbert

IMG_6449.jpeg

Pol. Lt. Col. Thammanchit Sittisart, Deputy Inspector of Sattahip Police Station, was notified on the evening of October 5,  at around 20:40 of a fatal accident involving a foreigner on a motorcycle. The incident occurred near the U-turn bridge in front of Boonthavorn store, on the inbound side of Sukhumvit Road, Bang Saray sub-district, Sattahip district, Chonburi province. Emergency responders from Sattahip Hospital and the Sawang Rojanatham Foundation attended the scene.

Upon arrival, officers found a red-and-black Kawasaki Z900 motorcycle with registration in Chonburi, heavily damaged. Lying nearby was the lifeless body of a 66-year-old British man, identified as Mr. Garrad. The victim suffered severe neck trauma, including a fracture and a large deep laceration on the side and back of his neck. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The impact site was identified as a damaged traffic sign marking the approach to the U-turn bridge.

Witnesses reported that the deceased had just returned to Thailand the day before and had gone out for a ride with friends. His wife, upon hearing the tragic news, rushed to the scene.

An eyewitness, Mr. Apiwat, stated that he saw two large motorcycles coming down the road. While the first rider successfully made the U-turn towards Pattaya, the second rider collided head-on with the traffic sign, causing his body to be thrown from the bike. Emergency services were alerted, but the victim had already succumbed to his injuries.

Authorities have documented the scene and will question witnesses further to determine the exact cause of the crash. The body has been transferred to the Police General Hospital in Bangkok for an autopsy to confirm the cause of death, as part of the ongoing investigation.

Picture from responders.

IMG_6461.jpeg

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-06

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe inexperience, i saw one yesterday on Pratumnak on a rental, hard to crash there

Yes, considering the extent of the damage and that no other vehicle seems to have been involved......perhaps 66 is getting too old for a crotch rocket. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Very sad.

But I'm confused how the front wheel (or just tyre) is still 'in place' but with not spokes or hub. Has it been placed there for the photo?

I've been a motorcyclist for 40 years, but the past 20+ in Thailand I stay away from big bikes.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, 2long said:

Very sad.

But I'm confused how the front wheel (or just tyre) is still 'in place' but with not spokes or hub. Has it been placed there for the photo?

I've been a motorcyclist for 40 years, but the past 20+ in Thailand I stay away from big bikes.

You can see the red hub with spokes broken off still between the fork stanchions and a bit of the rim in the road. He must have hit whatever at quite a speed to smash the wheel like that.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, nausea said:

Riding bikes is a young man's game, you don't bounce so well as you age; still, 66 ain't a bad age to go, you're probably avoiding a lot of age related disorders.

Bu11<deleted> on several counts.

21 minutes ago, nausea said:

Riding bikes is a young man's game, you don't bounce so well as you age; still, 66 ain't a bad age to go, you're probably avoiding a lot of age related disorders.

Nearly 60 years of riding bikes and still going strong.

Here on Samui, they are the preferred transport.

Mind you, it is the most dangerous place in the world (per capita).

Parking a car in a couple of the villages here is almost impossible and there are always traffic jams.

I also rent bikes when I travel in Thailand and other SE Asian countries.

BUT - I could do without the age related stuff. Starting to suffer these days.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nausea said:

I agree with you. Going early, whilst doing what you like, is not too bad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, considering the extent of the damage and that no other vehicle seems to have been involved......perhaps 66 is getting too old for a crotch rocket. 

Z900 is a naked, not a crotchy.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Kawasaki

Another Brit member of this forum with a very similar user name and a similar age died in a similar manner last year.

He was boasting on his FB of doing speeds of over 200KMH and even going as fast as the bike would possibly go. 

We are better off without these types on the roads here. It is dangerous enough without them. 
Luckily he only killed himself. 
Speed kills.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Another Brit member of this forum with a very similar user name and a similar age died in a similar manner last year.

He was boasting on his FB of doing speeds of over 200KMH and even going as fast as the bike would possibly go. 

We are better off without these types on the roads here. It is dangerous enough without them. 
Luckily he only killed himself. 
Speed kills.

But jeez is it good fun, Took me XSR900 out for a quick blat this morn Patts to Chanathaburi and back, great ride.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Thanks 1