Thai Airways soars with ‘plane’-tastic gourmet menus for all classes

snoop1130

Qatar airlines is crap and they are far to expensive compared to the service. Emirates far better. Even better then SWISS that is now a disaster compared to what it was back in the 80ies and 90ies. In fact even THAI seems to offer better service then SWISS airlines....that says it all.

My favorite airplane food ever was a low budget airline that gave out 6" subway sandwiches in the USA, probably back in the '80s.  They took on about 3 or 4 varieties to choose from. Best plane food ever...

I sat with a flight attendant union rep on a flight to China one time and she told me what the airline expensed for a typical cheap seat meal, and it was astronomical.  Half a sub sounds so much better.  And cheaper.  Maybe a whole sub for trans Pacific flight...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Yes thats about what I paid. At first they agree to repay the charge and told me when it would be in the bank. Then they changed their mind. Bugger Qatar from now on.

I guess I'll get to that point with Qatar at some point too...

It seems all airlines go through their 'ebb and flow' of customer service and experience.

I've been Gold tier with a number of airlines and yet have 'boycotted them' in the same manner you commented 'bugger Qatar from now on' due to their atrocious response to issues... 

Etihad - Flight delayed (significantly) wanted to re-route us on Air India business class, no... Pushed back and was re-routed on Thai Airways (not as good as the EY product, but still...).

Etihad - Failed to meet us at Gare De Norde - Wife and I given 25,000 miles each as an apology.. OK.

Etihad - Moves Wife and I from our selected 'central honey moon seats' - no biggie, until I found out (on the flight) that we had been displaced by staff ( Wife and I are perfectly fine on a flight without sitting next to each other for a flight - it was the lies and deceit that preceded this that rubbed the salt).

Etihad - Chauffeur drive request: Can we have an estate car to accommodate our baggage ? a very snotty response... No, its not your choice what car you get ?...  My answer: no Problem - two business class seats, eligible for two cars - we'll take two cars please (luggage went in one car, we went in another !!) - we may have squeezed into the usual 5 series sedan with luggage, but I wanted to be sure.

Etihad - trashed baggage (really trashed it), made a claim - rejected. Quoted Montreal convention, they didn't care, claim rejected. Used an ombudsman (response - take us to court).

- Result - Both Wife and I were Gold Card members have never flown them again (not that they'll notice - but vote with feet).

Emirates - massive delay: 10 hours...  put in a claim direct claim for compensation...  Emirates returned with an offer of €600...   I rejected it, under the EC reg 261/2004 a child has the same rights as an adult...   Emirates returned with... €1200 to cover compensation for 1 adult one child - they just needed a nudge to get it right.

Qatar - Purchased a ticket BKK-DOH-BKK...  when it was announced flights were opening up.

QR never had the flight running, only cancelled the flight 2 days before (although they didnt run flights to bkk for the month before and months after - they still sold tickets) - took 5 months to get a refund (had to use an ombudsman)

Turkish: Bumped off flight in Istanbul (no reason given)... given hotel, offered €250 (rejected it), quoted EC reg 261/2004, they didn't care, lied and said I wasn't eligible for €600...  taken to a hotel, delayed 24 hrs...  put in a claim for €600, Turkish rejected. Used ADR, Turkish relented, took them over a month to pay out.

All of the above mentioned - because when it goes wrong, ALL airlines behave terribly...  its as if the response turns into a cost saving measure and they only care about what they can save... 

... Which is why, paying for seating etc...  is hideous... though, if I can save £500 on a ticket and still have a choice of being put where I'm told or pay 10,000 baht (£230) to chose my seats, I'll take the cheaper option... I don't care for the lounge either...  But the Chauffeur drive is useful in the UK because taxi's are effing expensive !!!  

... But we know all that before the flight - its when things go wrong... thats how I measure the quality of an airline and if we travel with an airline long enough - something will go wrong, much of our response relies upon how that is handled. 

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

My favorite airplane food ever was a low budget airline that gave out 6" subway sandwiches in the USA, probably back in the '80s.  They took on about 3 or 4 varieties to choose from. Best plane food ever...

I sat with a flight attendant union rep on a flight to China one time and she told me what the airline expensed for a typical cheap seat meal, and it was astronomical.  Half a sub sounds so much better.  And cheaper.  Maybe a whole sub for trans Pacific flight...

Valid point... 

Would it be better if we saved xxx per flight and took our own food ? (security permitting).

I'd be quite happy to safe £100 and take on by own burger king...     though, for obvious reasons, thats a complete no goer given the varying culinary delights those of different cultures would be tucking into...  fish-head curry anyone ?  a bit of Durian ?...  oh.. how about some Surströmming ??

Nope... it wouldn't work...     though for a 2-3 hour flight, who really needs to eat ?

Its different for a 6 hour flight though - so yeah... why not,  subway or something similar... Emirates do it... their 'pizza snack' thingy... is quite nice !!! 

& When I flight late at night and I'm tired...  I say not too food... and as the FA... Just wake me as late as possible close to landing, with a coffee and whatever is simplest to eat (i.e. sandwich or whatever is available thats similar)....

(and thats cos I take a 'sleeping aid' to crash for the flight - and usually cos I'm also completely knackered but would otherwise struggle to sleep for 4-5 hours straight on a flight).

Edited by richard_smith237