Sending food back to the kitchen?

sqwakvfr

At regular Somchai hole in the wall kind of joints, complaining, even discreetly, is about as useless as teats on a bull. Their sensitive fragile little egos can't handle it and there's about a 70% chance of getting unwanted DNA in a re-done dish (on the off chance they even give a flart) . That and their main tool of the trade is a meat cleaver 555.

At classier joints/hotels, especially places with Western style management/training like Wine Connection for example, no problem provided it's a legit issue and not some woke retarded weirdo feeling offended that his seared LGBTQ rainbow trout doesn't come with an instruction booklet on how to ask its gender identity.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Another reason is that they don't want that someone spits in the replacement food.

I heard this many years ago  about  Chinese restaurants before I began working in China.  According to locals, that is indeed what would happen if you complained about the food in a mainland restaurant.  

I have to believe it is the same in Thailand.  Japan is probably the only  country in Asia where it's not the case.  Through the years,  I've rarely had reason to complain. When I did, I asked to leave without paying rather than have replacement food.  That would usually prompt the owner orchef to taste the food and they would agree to me not paying, along with profuse apologies.

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, steven100 said:

That's a good point you make ....   Thais haven't got a clue about running a proper restaurant.  

When a table of four come in and order,  the food should ( in a proper restaurant .. all come out at once ) or as close as possible, not one dish.. then 10 minutes another dish and then another later, and this has always happened here. 

They don't realize that the plates should be warm so food doesn't go cold quickly,  plates are always cold ....  and try and tell the owner or manager that ...    you'll get the ' there's no way a farang's going to tell me '   look. 

Totally agree, but when I do complain, I get the bad eye from the Mrs. Quite often the rice comes first, 10 minutes later the main courses, and then the starters. Ah well TIT.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, I have NEVER sent anything back....in my entire life....TRUE....

Mods, I BEG you, please make a rule that you need to wait at least an hour or two before posts!

So tired of having interesting threads hijacked by one guy who goes on and on and on about his fantasy experiences! 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

a wink of the hand

I have always thought you sounded like a winker.

i used to work at a friends restaurant when I was younger.

If we ever had a bitchin, moanin, whinin customer we would always give their food the Hawk Tuah treatment.

Edited by MalcolmB
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I have always thought you sounded like a winker.

i used to work at a friends restaurant when I was younger.

If we ever had a bitchin, moanin, whinin customer we would always give their food the Hawk Tuah treatment.

Now please explain for us thickies.

24 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

I heard this many years ago  about  Chinese restaurants before I began working in China.  According to locals, that is indeed what would happen if you complained about the food in a mainland restaurant.  

I have to believe it is the same in Thailand.  Japan is probably the only  country in Asia where it's not the case.  Through the years,  I've rarely had reason to complain. When I did, I asked to leave without paying rather than have replacement food.  That would usually prompt the owner orchef to taste the food and they would agree to me not paying, along with profuse apologies.

Not only the Chinese...

• Haha 1

OK.

I will TELL you why this Topic is so fascinating....

It's because....

This Topic RESONATES with one other Topic I recently read...NAMELY....

image.png.545effe40910e4a6dc3ab2ba592076fc.png

YES.

That's right.

WHY are you EVEN .....FING ....HERE?

If you DON'T know what I am talking about....then....

You NEVER will.

You guys just have NO CLUE, obviously.

You guys....just ....

DO NOT FIT IN HERE....Plain and Simple!!!!!

Sorry to say this, because I do not like to hurt anyone's feelings...but....

Most of the guys on this forum, in my view, probably, just Do Not Belong Here.

If it were not for the weather, and the women, and who knows what, that is so FING cheap....

Most of you guys would just go somewhere else.

Most of you guys are not even interested in learning the Thai language, no doubt.

What the F are you even DOING here...in the FIRST place?????

Sure, I watch YouTube.

So, I see what attracts most Farang, and what vids get the most views.

You are here for the women, the cheap rent, the warm weather..but....most probably....you put "CULTURE"...last!

You might learn the language, if forced to do so, just to get a visa from a Thai language school.

But even then, you skip classes, whenever you can.

So....I do not care.

But, really, you need to ask the question:

image.png.1245a98345d9b70f7d731f1b3a5c1f54.png

I have been here, first time, since 1971.

And, I am not saying that this might be a long time.

But, at the very least....I DO UNDERSTAND enough to realize that you just do NOT send food back, as if you were......

Dining at the Ritz.....

Where do you think you are?

Most of you have not spent as much time as I have spent in Asia.

And so....

I am NOT LIKE YOU....for sure.....BELIEVE ME....

Speaking of Dining at the Ritz....

Frankenstein Said it best.....

Because....who wants to be a Frankenstein?

One foot in Asia, but not wishing to even be here...really....

ALSO....do you have ANY IDEA what might happen to the the self-esteem of the chef when you send-back what you might think is improperly cooked food????

THIS is what could happen....!!!!

Therefore, please think TWICE.....

PLEASE....

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Re-heating might not be tasty.

Better ask for a completely new steak.

(And, ask for the under-cooked failure to be put in a doggy bag, for your dog.)

How everything turns out, will give a well deserved review on Google. 

Not often you have to complain on a 5 star restaurant, and in Thailand it happened 2 times only I believe during my more than 20 years here. 

Andreas in Hua Hin got one critical feedback once, and he did not take it well, and we have not been back since then. 

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I recall the Reuben.

if in CM, and actually venture out of you box, away from your computer, enough clues to locate that cafe  Reuben in the post. 

--------

However, I am unaware of any such cafe or Reuben sandwich - nor would I be disposed to discuss such a Reuben if it in fact did exist.

Movies and Philosophy Now: Apocalypse Now and Surviving Yourself on Your  Journey Within

APOCALYPSE NOW Files: TERMINATE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Thais haven't got a clue about running a proper restaurant.  

Probably the dumbest comment I have read here.

Meanwhile, back in the real world

According to data from the Department of Foreign Trade, there are currently 17,478 Thai restaurants worldwide, with the US having the highest number, around 6,850, accounting for 39% of all Thai restaurants abroad. Moreover, there are 1,546 Thai SELECT restaurants worldwide.Jan 6, 2567 BE

What are the top 7 cuisine in the world? Italian, Chinese, Thai, Indian, French, Japanese, and Mexican cuisines are widely recognized as the top seven globally. These culinary traditions are renowned for their distinct flavors, exceptional ingredients, and rich cultural heritage.

Where did you say you were from again?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

According to data from the Department of Foreign Trade, there are currently 17,478 Thai restaurants worldwide, with the US having the highest number, around 6,850, accounting for 39% of all Thai restaurants abroad. Moreover, there are 1,546 Thai SELECT restaurants worldwide.Jan 6, 2567 BE

What are the top 7 cuisine in the world? Italian, Chinese, Thai, Indian, French, Japanese, and Mexican cuisines are widely recognized as the top seven globally. These culinary traditions are renowned for their distinct flavors, exceptional ingredients, and rich cultural heritage.

I would say....

Chinese, Thai, and Italian cuisine are just about on the same level.

Then, probably Indian.

Japanese food would be way behind Irish food.

6 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

And you obviously did not realise that he was talking about Thai restaurants here in Thailand, where the majority of them make the mistakes, or do not know or care, about how a meal should be served, to satisfy a non-Thai person, who doesn't give a 5hit about in which order the food comes.

In the case which I posted about, it wasn't sending the food back to the kitchen, it was getting the 4ing stuff on the table! 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

who doesn't give a 5hit about in which order the food comes.

Yeah, can’t say that bothers me either.

A lot of people sweat the small stuff in life. 

I have an old friend I refuse to eat out with anymore. An habitual complainer who usually sends food back, which is just ok if I already have been served all my food but if not I am just thinking the next dishes will have Hawk Tuah added.

He is also the stingiest person I know, makes me think he just hates paying for stuff.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

probably the dumbest answer I have ever read ....  

don't you know the topic is about Thai restaurants HERE in Thailand.  

You need to read what's going on before making a wrong comment. 

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

don't you know the topic is about Thai restaurants HERE in Thailand.  

No I never use them.

Restaurants are way too expensive here in Thailand.

80 baht, no fine china, no table cloths, no heating, the minimum wage part time staff don’t speak perfect English or French etc etc

As a matter of fact, I have had enough of it all and am packing my bags and taking the next flight out. 
it is all too hard for me.

That will teach them for not respecting me. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The last time I sent food back was lunch in a decent hotel and the Thai chef came out and was quite menacing. Now we do as the OP, pay and leave and don't return but have to say those events are very rare.

In some food courts food deserves to be handed back over the counter but not for the reasons considered here. It deserves to be sent back due to the new trend in serving miserably small portions and I am far from being a big belly bald glutton. The food court in the Market Village Basement in Hua Hin is one of the worst I ever used in Thailand. The price and food was ok, but the portions served in the plate were a pure scam.

I never complain about bad food in a Thai restaurant. I leave it, pay, walk out and never go back.

OTOH, I have a memory bank for restaurants who do the right thing.

Below is chicken in black pepper sauce at Timothy's, a Thai restaurant that does Western dishes. Salad and chips. IIRC 179 baht.

goodmeal10.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

No I never use them.

80 baht, no fine china, no table cloths, no heating, the minimum wage part time staff don’t speak perfect English or French etc etc

As a matter of fact, I have had enough of it all and am packing my bags and taking the next flight out. 

Please don't go, your village will miss you.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I never complain about bad food in a Thai restaurant. I leave it, pay, walk out and never go back.

OTOH, I have a memory bank for restaurants who do the right thing.

Below is chicken in black pepper sauce at Timothy's, a Thai restaurant that does Western dishes. Salad and chips. IIRC 179 baht.

goodmeal10.jpg

Looks yummy 

Can't really get bothered eating out often anymore as the quality, quantity, services and prices not match. If I do eat out it is usually one of the better places as well, 2-4 times a month. It saves time as well to not have to go out or order all the time, deal with grab drivers that can't read a basic map or drive straight past you even you are the only one in the street at 9:30PM, waving your phone.

In Vietnam it is actually like being back in older Thailand, great fun to just be outside all day and eat/drink everywhere. Anyway, I usually just pay and leave if the food not arrived well, as I know it can't be trusted for a second chance in those cases too or tastes bad.

I also notice that the few times I do eat at a cheaper place or Thai food place, it right away has impact on what comes out the next day on the toilet. Can't imagine that is good long run, it needs to be a strong and solid one. But just as much in Vietnam on that end.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

That's a good point you make ....   Thais haven't got a clue about running a proper restaurant.  

When a table of four come in and order,  the food should ( in a proper restaurant .. all come out at once ) or as close as possible, not one dish.. then 10 minutes another dish and then another later, and this has always happened here. 

They don't realize that the plates should be warm so food doesn't go cold quickly,  plates are always cold ....  and try and tell the owner or manager that ...    you'll get the ' there's no way a farang's going to tell me '   look. 

Or maybe they have never heard of courses and European service? Timing is a minor nuisance. Share what comes out and you will not be hungry.

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

No I never use them.

Happy I don’t live like you.  

58 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

In some food courts food deserves to be handed back over the counter but not for the reasons considered here. It deserves to be sent back due to the new trend in serving miserably small portions and I am far from being a big belly bald glutton. The food court in the Market Village Basement in Hua Hin is one of the worst I ever used in Thailand. The price and food was ok, but the portions served in the plate were a pure scam.

At food courts, I too more than once was wondering what I could do when the portion given to me over the counter was abysmally small, kiddie size (for example stewed port-leg over rice with a tiny morsel of pork flatttened out with great fanfare than gingerly placed on top of the rice) Should I ask/beg for more? Should I refuse to pay? I guess the strategy would be do a first then if no remedy, do b. One time at another food courtI brought back the plate and show the cook/server the piece of chicken bone that she served me for what supposed to be chicken masaman over rice. She begrudgingly replaced it with another piece of bone, equal in size, but having some meat on it. My conclusion was that she simply didn't like serving farangs...

More recently I had a coconut smoothie at one of the cocowalk stands you see popping up at food courts. The one I had at Chatujak mall was absolutely terrific, the vendor used the whole coconut. Back at my Lotus foodcourt, I ordered the same at a stand that also had the same cocowalk sign. I saw the vendor take out a thin sliver of coconut then put in the usual mixers. The drink was abysmal, she might as well have just used carnation milk and ice. I didn't complain, but saying a curse under my breath: "You're committing career suicide!" On later visits, I noticed that her stand got nary a customer. Then 3 months later, it went out of business. That got me thinking, had I complained, maybe she would have shaped up and improved her business... Oh well.

The only food I send back are fries, if they are not “crispy” as originally ordered.  Nothing like a firm, even slightly burned, fry even if it takes a few months of life off at the end - well worth it IMO.  Otherwise I suck it up.  If it is really bad I will submit an honest review on google maps.  Wish more people did this as the number of glowing, 5 star reviews on almost every place is beyond belief.