Why are most movies released post-2000 unwatchable?

Yes.

It seems that the year 2000 marks the divide between some decent Hollywood film-making pre-2000, and what has now become garbage films that are not watchable.

Why is this?

Pandering to overseas markets? 

Dumbing down of content and themes?

Fear of offending any segment of the movie-goer market?

Lack of reading on the part of the public who watches the new garbage films?

Other reasons?

Has America completely lost any semblance of having a meaningful culture, these days?

We know that there has been a sharp divide in quality which happened 25 years ago...

But why?

• Agree 1

Post 2020. Many great movies were made 2000-2020. Blame the Left. The problem now is wokism (largely through BLM) and inclusivity, which ruins writing because it is contrived and they have certain actors, directors, producers to tick boxes. It all makes for sht television. Reason why Disney has lost A LOT of revenue, along with Rings of Power (and with pretty much any TV series now) which is just feminist tat far removed from Tolkien's idea. The last decent movie of recent times imo was probably Maverick.

• Agree 1

If you feel that way, look on YouTube for a channel called "The Critical Drinker".  You'll enjoy it.   At least, I do.

He has a bunch of videos explaining several causes and aspects of the exact phenomena.  Plus, reviews (both good and bad) of most movies coming out, and some reviews of good oldies worth downloading and watching.

Be warned.  The guy is brutal, and not politically correct.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The best film I have seen in the last 5 years is Parasite, made in Korea. Some other Oscar winners have been embarrasingly poor.

I did rate Joker but can see it is not to everyone's taste.

Mostly unwatchable now days, American movies being the worst, dumbed down, predictable. I walked out the Cinema during Dune, too long and drawn out. At home i switch off if i don't care the outcome of the movie or series which is most

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

But why?

To understand "why", read the essays of Miles Mathis on the decline of Western culture.

Does not have an essay on that specific question, but reading several will clearly explain the big picture.

Search "Best Fake Event Papers" and "Miles Williams Mathis".

Edited by Old Curmudgeon

There have been many excellent movies made since 2000. If you're a movie buff, especially seeing you rarely leave your house, this should be easy for you to research. Do you have Netflix? I do agree most of the best movies made were made before that. Look at these, at least 55 I like that have high ratings for a reason...............https://www.imdb.com/list/ls002065120/.

Edited by fredwiggy

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Mostly unwatchable now days, American movies being the worst, dumbed down, predictable. I walked out the Cinema during Dune, too long and drawn out. At home i switch off if i don't care the outcome of the movie or series which is most

I though the latest Dune was the best of many. The one with Kyle MacLachlan was awful.

The only explanation I can come up with for your opinion is that you never read the book, which would be essential to understand what was happening.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

There have been many excellent movies made since 2000. If you're a movie buff, especially seeing you rarely leave your house, this should be easy for you to research. Do you have Netflix? I do agree most of the best movies made were made before that. Look at these, at least 55 I like that have high ratings for a reason...............https://www.imdb.com/list/ls002065120/.

Hollywood has gone full on woke and that is destroying movies. They also started putting horrible women into them and wimpy men.

Then there are those diabolical trash movies about Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy type garbage.

As for much loved franchises such as the 007 movies, they have become weighed down under PC rubbish.

Not to say that some movies came out that were excellent. Jeremy Renner makes good movies

The best movies this century were made in Asia. Thai and Korean movies are excellent, and Japan excels at Anime.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Hollywood has gone full on woke and that is destroying movies. They also started putting horrible women into them and wimpy men.

Then there are those diabolical trash movies about Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy type garbage.

As for much loved franchises such as the 007 movies, they have become weighed down under PC rubbish.

Not to say that some movies came out that were excellent. Jeremy Renner makes good movies

The best movies this century were made in Asia. Thai and Korean movies are excellent, and Japan excels at Anime.

The ones that are listed are excellent movies. Asian movies, some, are okay, but Hollywood still reigns supreme and probably always will. I'm not referring to kids action movies, where much of it is CG. John Woo has made some good movies but most of what's made in Asia pales by comparison.

12 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Rings of Power

Never seen it, but the last LOR outing I saw was The Hobbit, which impose female characters that never existed in the books, which were about MALES, and a few females, such as Galadriel, but they were never a big part of the story.

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The ones that are listed are excellent movies. Asian movies, some, are okay, but Hollywood still reigns supreme and probably always will. I'm not referring to kids action movies, where much of it is CG. John Woo has made some good movies but most of what's made in Asia pales by comparison.

I disagree 100%. Hollywood makes happy endings compulsory, while Asian movies have far more realistic endings, sometimes involving the death of main characters eg Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Daggers, and probably the best one of all, Hero.

Watch more movies. Many do not have happy endings. The ones you listed, although not too bad, have people flying around, which is unrealistic and takes away from the movie. Look at No Country for Old Men, The Hateful Eight, Gladiator, just to name three. No happy endings.I've watched thousands of movies, and many, many Asian, and the actors are just not that good. I have the movies you listed in my collection. I'm not a hero worshiper by any means, looking at actors as just that. Good at what they do, but hardly worth the worship some give them.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Most of the movies on the list you link are before 2005.  And many are 2000 or 2001, such as Darko, etc.

For example the Coens movie, Man Who Wasn't There, was 2001.

Films are now becoming boiled down to themes which can sometimes be understood with very limited intelligence and no thinking, or by someone who does not understand English (in the case of the post-2000 English films coming out of Hollywood).

Is anyone even willing to think, these days?  Or, do people prefer to be TOLD what is happening, rather than to learn for themselves, such as might be the case with the American political scene, as well as with Hollywood movies.

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Most of the movies on the list you link are before 2005.  And many are 2000 or 2001, such as Darko, etc.

For example the Coens movie, Man Who Wasn't There, was 2001.

Films are now becoming boiled down to themes which can sometimes be understood with very limited intelligence and no thinking, or by someone who does not understand English (in the case of the post-2000 English films coming out of Hollywood).

Is anyone even willing to think, these days?  Or, do people prefer to be TOLD what is happening, rather than to learn for themselves, such as might be the case with the American political scene, as well as with Hollywood movies.

You originally said before 2000. I listed what IMDB has, and many are after 2005. I'm not sure what movies you are watching, but I watch most of what comes out, and there are still good movies being made.

They are unwatchable because they are influenced by Woke, Hollywood and the CIA who review all scripts. I don't go to the movies any more because of it. I'm not good with remembering movies but the last good ones I saw was American History X starring Edward Norton, and Monster's Ball. 

Sadly book shave good the same way. Most authors are women, often black, and most heroes are women, often gay. I am bored to tears with reading this <deleted>. I avoid female and black writers now wherever possible. Hitting the publishers in the pocketbook is the only way to them make them rethink this woke nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

and there are still good movies being made.

While I agree that there are some good ones coming out, the percentage of stinkers seems to be skyrocketing.  Especially the "blockbuster" stinkers, where it's all stuff exploding and people flying and dodging bullets from 14 guys all spraying them with machine gun fire.  That's either some mad skill, or hokum.

It's bad when I can watch them for free, and I still can't sit all the way through most of them.  We used to go to 50+ movies a year when I was a kid, every Friday night.  I only walked out on one Disney turd (back in the '70s).  Today, I don't make it through over half the new movies.

I guess it depends on one's personal interests. Personally, I would never watch a superhero movie, and don't understand why adult males are their main audience. While I'm also a dyed-in-the-wool lib, what are called 'chick flicks' bore me to tears.

That being said, and factoring in my personal interests, I enjoyed Oppenheimer, though not the first time I watched it. Second time was much more enjoyable. There is a scene, perhaps using a little poetic license, where Oppenheimer stands with Edward Teller, after the success of Trinity, watching the two bombs loaded onto a truck and driving off to eventually be sent to Japan. The scene is minimalistic...just two people, one truck heading down a winding and bare dirt road,  carrying two small bombs, with the viewer knowing full well what will happen. I remembered a quote from Freeman Dyson about the Manhattan Project:

"The technical arrogance that overcomes people, when they see what they can do with their minds." (I'm making no political statement here, just describing a scene that culminated from the greatest collection of human intellect in one place at one time since Oldavai Gorge.)

In a totally different sphere I enjoyed The Big Short, and a more serious take on the 2008 Financial Crisis, Margin Call. Great acting in both, but in Margin Call the actual flavor of working in a Wall Street trading room is portrayed to perfection, as is the callous and Machiavellian nature of management in WS firms. Margin Call stars Paul Bettany, Stanley Tucci, Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Demi Moore, Simon Baker and others. Bettany and Irons slay their roles.

Finally, an old, late acquaintance penned a trilogy of books, the first was made into a film starring Jennifer Lawrence and Joel Edgerton...Red Sparrow. Very accurate portrayal of espionage work in denied areas, such as Russia.

30 minutes ago, retarius said:

They are unwatchable because they are influenced by Woke, Hollywood and the CIA who review all scripts. I don't go to the movies any more because of it. I'm not good with remembering movies but the last good ones I saw was American History X starring Edward Norton, and Monster's Ball. 

Sadly book shave good the same way. Most authors are women, often black, and most heroes are women, often gay. I am bored to tears with reading this <deleted>. I avoid female and black writers now wherever possible. Hitting the publishers in the pocketbook is the only way to them make them rethink this woke nonsense. 

Oh my! That's some next level conspiracy moonbat-ology there, fella.

(Unless you mean the Culinary Institute of America.)