New place to check out - Can Tho, Mekong

7. 2

Putin’s Propaganda Chief Boasts of Russian Influence on U.S. Elections

8. 0

Harris Holds Narrow Leads in Key Battlegrounds, Trump Ahead in Others

9. 0

China Live Fire Military Drills Raise Tensions in the Taiwan Strait

10. 0

Sexually Assaulted by Al Fayed: Paul Gascoigne's Daughter Reveals in Interview

11. 0

Confronting the Ideology of Terror: A Call to Action

12. 0

Creative Public Proposals on NHS Reform Spark Debate in National Consultation

Samsung repairs / after sales service

Kenny202

22 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks for the reply mate but not every Westerner in Thailand lives in Pattaya lol. We are up north. Looks like the service / repairs are all co ordinated through HO in Bangkok. or so my missus says anyway. We have a Samsung office here too but not for walk in repairs. In any case the local Samsung office were the ones who called us. According to missus we have to call Bkk and they farm the job out to their techs here. I asked her why she wasn't talking sternly to Samsung as the machine is only 14 months old, and why didn't you take them to task on how they know exactly how much the TV will cost to repair (6000 baht + 7% VAT) without even seeing it? Like talking to a brick wall. This sort of TV has about 5-6 PC boards in it as well as connectors etc and could be anyone of those things. There are 20 you tube videos saying this model had a PC board connector problem and can be fixed in 15 minutes.  We do know a private tech who I use to do my music stuff amps etc and he told us he does TVs too. I would have called him first but 2 months out of warranty you would think Samsung would at least come and check first. The private tech guy usually honest and ridiculously cheap but I heard my missus telling him Samsung quoted us 6000 baht (even though she denies it) so who knows what is going to happen. Hes picking it up today.

As for Samsung, yes that the end of them for me. Reading a story about one of their phones they released just over a year ago...same thing just out of warranty and people getting lines on their screens etc. Samsung not only not offering to repair cheaply or free but milking it quoting ridiculous prices for replacement screens. Had a similar issue with LG also so they are off the Xmas list.

I'm in the North too, cm. Had a problem with Samsung washing machine. Called Samsung cm, explained the problem they said probably motherboard, but have to send a technician to check, and after he confirms the problem they'll make another appointment so he can come with the correct part with him. As I live far out of the city, they said I'd have to pay about 3k for each visit + parts.

I asked them to send the technician WITH the motherboard and whatever other part they think might be the problem. They agreed and the guy came in to check. Apparently I had some mice building nests and chewing the wires.

The technicians re-wired and cleaned everything, no parts needed and all I had to pay was the 3k for the travel. As he gave me the receipt he told me to keep it as their work is guaranteed for 3 months and if they have to come again within this time no need to pay for travel!

So I vote for Samsung.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

TCL is a big Chinese company, usually good value for money, cheap but good, I'm going with them next time

Thanks.  Out of principle I don't want to support CCP in anyway (even if Thai labor built it here).  However, in the end I usually also make decision on value for money.

Still wondering about Acconatic, which seem to be priced similar to TCL at Lotus & Big C.

It's the same with their washing machines. I live in Germany and my neighbor had a problem with his Samsung washing machine. We have a repair ship in town, but they won't touch Samsung because Samsung won't give any electrician any courses on how to repair their stuff. Instead he'd have to bring it to a Samsung service center, which is several hundred kilometers away. So he boughr a new onw from a different brand and it was the last Samsung he's ever bought.

27 minutes ago, madone said:

I had a Samsung LED TV that lasted nearly 12+ years and I have a Samsung Fridge going on 20 and an AC nearing the same age. all going strong.   

That said I would not buy a Samsung appliance again. I have had other more recent samsung products <deleted> the bed after a couple of years with easy fixes but no replacement parts in sight   

Yes Samsung were good in the past, no more

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes Samsung were good in the past, no more

Agree. Last TV Samsung and wasnt great (had little issues) but worked reliably for nearly 8 years. Where it fell down were all the little led covers were slowly falling off. Washing machine great too. They have just become very greedy and arrogant

42 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Had a problem with Samsung washing machine. Called Samsung cm, explained the problem they said probably motherboard, but have to send a technician to check, and after he confirms the problem they'll make another appointment so he can come with the correct part with him.

Amazing that the humble washing machine now comes with a motherboard, just like my gaming PC. My Philips automatic washer at my place in Australia is still going strong after 42 years, never serviced, never needed repairs.

44 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Amazing that the humble washing machine now comes with a motherboard, just like my gaming PC. My Philips automatic washer at my place in Australia is still going strong after 42 years, never serviced, never needed repairs.

Top loader that just swishes the clothes around a bit?

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Top loader that just swishes the clothes around a bit?

Yep, seems to do the job just fine. I used to think front loading machines were just a European thing for tiny apartments, but apparently they’re now ubiquitous.

1 hour ago, madone said:

I would not buy a Samsung appliance again. I have had other more recent samsung products <deleted> the bed 

Crikey, the mind boggles. 

How about you join this thread and tell us more 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 10/21/2024 at 3:34 PM, Kenny202 said:

Anyone had any dealings with them here? We bought a brand new 50" TV from Lotus just over a year ago....thing is a couple of months out of warranty. This morning for no apparent reason lost picture but still have sound. Called Samsung service...got the local agent call us back on the phone to announce "oh this problem 6000 baht to fix (+7% VAT) lol", without even seeing it. And not taking into account the thing just out of warranty. The repair would be 60% the price of the TV we paid!

I stopped buying anything with the Samsung name on it years ago.  Their products are very low quality.

When I lived in the USA, I had a Sony (tube type) that lasted 24 years.  Then when I moved to Thailand, I bought a Sony 40- or 42-inch LED (can't remember exact size) in 2009 that I still had in 2022, and I gave it away (still working) to a Thai family.  Reason being that I wanted to upgrade to a smart TV which is now a Sony 85-inch Android which is still working great after 2 years.  I've had too much good luck with Sony to ever consider any other brand.  Yes, they cost a bit more but when you average the cost over 10 or more years it's not that much.

Well good news our tech got back to us its the backlight, said it looks like it blew up. 3000 baht total to fix. Still p$$es me off on a 14 month old device but better than 6k

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, kimothai said:

When I lived in the USA, I had a Sony (tube type) that lasted 24 years.  Then when I moved to Thailand, I bought a Sony 40- or 42-inch LED (can't remember exact size) in 2009 that I still had in 2022, and I gave it away (still working) to a Thai family.  Reason being that I wanted to upgrade to a smart TV which is now a Sony 85-inch Android which is still working great after 2 years.  I've had too much good luck with Sony to ever consider any other brand.  Yes, they cost a bit more but when you average the cost over 10 or more years it's not that much.

I thought the same about Sony.

But, I've had 2 here in Thailand and both lasted only 3 or so years.

I still maintain the one you bought 15 years ago and older ones were built to a standard.

Not anymore.

IMO, there's not much difference between the big brands like LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc.

I hope you have better luck with yours.

My Samsung 65 inch was a few months out of warranty when a white dot appeared on the bottom of the screen.  Annoyed me, Samsung said 12000 baht to replace the screen, without looking at it.  I did not do it.  A month or so later they called back and said 6000 to replace the screen.  I have no idea how that came about but I did have them do it and it is still working after 4 years or so, but no Samsung ever again for me.     

55 inch Samsung TV just quit recently. No power. 

Mrs. Shrdlu called a local independent repair shop nearby and gave the model number. The tech said it was 90% likely to be the power board and it would cost baht 2,500 to fix. We'll take it to the shop next week to see how it goes. Meantime we're using the Samsung 40 incher from 2009 or so that we had put into the storage room. Still works fine.

4 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

now pretty much everything has a computer in it

On 10/21/2024 at 3:34 PM, Kenny202 said:

Anyone had any dealings with them here? We bought a brand new 50" TV from Lotus just over a year ago....thing is a couple of months out of warranty. This morning for no apparent reason lost picture but still have sound. Called Samsung service...got the local agent call us back on the phone to announce "oh this problem 6000 baht to fix (+7% VAT) lol", without even seeing it. And not taking into account the thing just out of warranty. The repair would be 60% the price of the TV we paid!

Seems like all the LGs I bought here from dvd/blueray players to TVs and washing machines.

However, all my LG smartphones were really great. 

5 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I have dealt with Samsung Service centres and found them to be excellent. They gave me a quick turnaround for a phone I took to them and the price was very low.

Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky when I visited a Samsung Service centre. I had a problem with my phone where I couldn't hear what the person calling was saying but they could hear me. I took the phone to a service centre and they replaced a part, charged me just over 1k and said it came with a six month warranty. A week later I had exactly the same problem again so I took it back. I was told that it was now a major problem, would cost 5x as much to fix and I would lose all my data. When I asked why it wasn't being repaired for free under the warranty I was told because its a different problem. So, displays exactly the same characteristics but now its a different problem?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, jrward42 said:

I used to work in broadcast TV in London and asked the engineers which was a good TV to get. This was in 2007, and I ended up with a 42-inch plasma by Panasonic. It is now in my Bangkok condo and is still working great.

Unfortunately, it weighs a ton and is only 1080p. I really want to upgrade to an OLED 55" but can't bring myself to chuck out the plasma. Especially as so many seem to report problems after just a couple of years with newer TVs. When it finally dies, I would probably buy another Panasonic or maybe a Sony. Unless others know of a better brand these days? 

You'll find a new OLED TV will be significantly better than your old plasma - the picture is brilliant on the new OLED TVs and the sound is pretty darn good too, even without a soundbar. FWIW, if you can stretch for a 65 inch, they're even better than the 55 inch. I know it will go against the grain in this thread but I bought a Samsung 65 inch OLED TV 2 years ago and it has not missed a beat. Prior to that i had a Samsung 55 inch 4K TV and that was great too. Gave it away to a friend of the wife to make space for the new one. Obviously, the OP has every reason to be disappointed with his TV conking out after 14 months. My experience with Samsung TVs has been very good so far - and my Mrs has it truend on all the hours that God sends!