Intermittent fasting

georgegeorgia

Just now, shdmn said:

Intermittent fasting is just another diet fad imo.  If you continue doing it your metabolism slows down so it doesn't work as well after awhile.  Yes, I know there are supposed techniques to prevent that such as only doing it once a week or whatever, but over time it still becomes less effective imo.

Bottom line is it's just another way of reducing caloric intake that seems to be easier for some people compared to just eating less throughout the day.

There's more to it than just losing a little weight, and it's not a fad diet like so many fly by night diet fads that have come around through the years...................https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fasting-benefits

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Nothing more lolz than watching some old guys who moved to Pattaya suddenly start to go to the gym and pretend to eat healthy while drowning in alcohol. 

Fasting, lol......

Intermittent masterbathing is what I do and is a lot more effective

Is that self pleasure while washing in a tub?

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Stevia seems to be okay, at least for now, and I've been slowly switching over to it as I've heard more about Splenda and Equal.

I was using stevia in my coffee.

Got sick of it, now switched to cane sugar. Which I believe is way healthier than processed sugar. And tastes better than stevia.

Just now, save the frogs said:

Got sick of it, now switched to cane sugar. Which I believe is way healthier than processed sugar. And tastes better than stevia.

The less sugar you consume, the less you need, which is how I've been living. It's in almost everything you buy in a box or jar, and isn't bad if kept low. When I was into bodybuilding, and not just lifting weights like now to maintain, I followed everything I could to reduce as many empty calories or fat calories as I could, so used them since Saccharine came out. That one is bad, so I was happy when Splenda and Equal came out, and then Stevia. I'm hoping they find another one better than Stevia someday, as I really don't like to add any kind of sugar to my food. The less processing the better.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I tried stevia also ... sucks

1 tsp / 4.2gr of sugar isn't going kill anyone, as all of 16 calories.   I started drinking coffee black, then after awhile tried my usual sugar amount added (2 tsp / 400ml) and really tasted sweet.   Now just drink it black.  Don't even add sugar to Cappuccino when having.

You might want to try a darker roast coffee, as not as bitter, so don't need the sugar.   Although less caffeine, the darker the roast.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

I tried stevia also ... sucks

1 tsp / 4.2gr of sugar isn't going kill anyone, as all of 16 calories.   I started drinking coffee black, then after awhile tried my usual sugar amount added (2 tsp / 400ml) and really tasted sweet.   Now just drink it black.  Don't even add sugar to Cappuccino when having.

You might want to try a darker roast coffee, as not as bitter, so don't need the sugar.   Although less caffeine, the darker the roast.

I agree about the darker, richer roasts. More flavor means less need for sweetener. I'm hoping to visit Vietnam next year, before I move back to Texas, and maybe Malaysia. I always heard Vietnam coffee is the best. I know you can buy it here, but wanting to visit and have it while I'm there makes it more special.

37 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I agree that the artificial sweeteners might not be so healthy. I have been using them for many years, but have been trying to find better substitutes, those from more natural sources. Stevia seems to be okay, at least for now, and I've been slowly switching over to it as I've heard more about Splenda and Equal. The rest of my diet has been very clean for the last 50 years, and the only trouble I've really had has been stomach related when I had H Pylori, presumably from bad water here. Living in Texas, I rarely had anything health wise wrong. Just after I moved here. I think also meat has been the culprit here, as it's always left out all day on trays, which isn't that good. back home they shrink wrap as soon as It's cut and it's kept in coolers.

reputed food researchers indicate that artificial sweetners are actually worse for your body that true sweetners.  they recommend that if one HAS to HAVE sweetner then us maple syrup or real honey.  Red meat limited, no processed meats at all.  Recommend red fruits, including tomatoes regularly as a male aging...pomegranate juice daily, strawberries, pink guava.  Good health to you!

Just now, Presnock said:

reputed food researchers indicate that artificial sweetners are actually worse for your body that true sweetners.  they recommend that if one HAS to HAVE sweetner then us maple syrup or real honey.  Red meat limited, no processed meats at all.  Recommend red fruits, including tomatoes regularly as a male aging...pomegranate juice daily, strawberries, pink guava.  Good health to you!

Yes, in the last few years, more research has come around about artificial sweeteners and it has me concerned. We don't live forever, and genetics does play a role, but what you put in your body can surely make a difference in lowering the chances for disease, which leaves your body stronger. I use honey also sometimes. I always liked Splenda, as it tastes the best out of all of them, but now Stevia is first on my list until another one comes around. The thing about sugar, is that it takes more to sweeten than the substitutes, which lowers your calorie intake and empty calories from sugar are also bad. I don't eat processed meats besides the occasional sandwich with sliced turkey and when I shoot a deer, I have sausage made with deer and lean pork, which isn't bad.

9 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

Stop being pussies,

Fast for 24 hours, if your serious, ( but take in water only )

5:2 is well-established and works well. Not water only on fasting days. There's something to be said for a 24-hour water fast, though most people won't find that very appealing.

Testimonial:

On 10/22/2024 at 7:37 PM, georgegeorgia said:

I watched recently a Pattaya YouTuber who said his he stated slim

Intermittent fasting!

I have now taken his advice and not eaten for 12 hours ,I did feel hungry!

Very hungry 

But ..it seems to have waned.

I exercise everyday sometimes intense,and still my weight was the same 

Exercise doesn't help weight loss if your still eating a lot and I was drinking 3 protein shakes a day with eggs 

My weight remained the same 

Now I need tips in fasting .

Number 1 , coffee ,do J need to drink only black coffee not this 3 in 1 

What is the most hours you personally fast for ?

Can you eat immediately after fasting for say 24 hours? 

It might be individual what works well or best, according to science.

Many suggest 16 hours fasting, and 8 hours where you can eat. Others suggest a day's fasting a week.

I'm in level with @CharlieH that it's about input vs output; i.e. what energy you need and burn. However, according to science it might not be that simple for all; i.e., science don't know enough yet about obesity (with reference to my friend that is one the World's leading professors in obesity).

My body-builder friends – I'm not one of those myself – says that slimming is a combination of diet and exercise; the latter in some reasonable level is also good for one's general health.

What might be important is that after a hard cure/diet your body will ofter recorver to former state; in other words, you might need some life-style changes to keep a new body level. So. in my experience the change in life-style is the first move, and might be just smaller steps in the right direction – here some obesity scientists says you need a harder step, bur my experience is different; so, we are individuals and not all the same – regular excersise and little change in intake. Just some daily walks can be it; according to the latest science I've read 4,000 steps are important, the difference up to the "famous" 10,000 steps is minor.

Skipping some meals – or intake of stuff (calories) between meals – is a habbit. As you said yourself about dasting that in the beginning you had a strong feeling of hunger, and after a while it wanes. So, if ine can resist the hunger feeling and fast for three days, there will be some weight reduction; however, don't forget to drink water, preferably mineral water. Skippin a meal, for example breakfast, is not that difficult, it's a habit. The popular saying that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" has no scientific background, it was invented by a major breakfast-stuff manufacturer for advertsing.

Me, for keeping my weight at reasonable level: I skip breakfast (take a cup of coffee with little milk, no swetener, coffee is healthy up to about 4 cups a day); no lunch but a clas of juice or some fruit; and then a delicious good dinner, where I concentrate about enjoying my meal and preferable with a glass of wine or two...😋👍 I walk a bit during the day, which can be walking the few hundred meters to 7-Eleven or other stores instead of driving. A couple of times, or three, a week I exercise intensive; I have typically lost about half a kilo the next morning. My BMI is between 19 and 20; however it raise during the Covid-lockdown, and took a while to get back into my former shape.

By my experience: Try some methods in a shorter wjile and notice your feelings and result. In mhy view it's important that you feel confident and happy, and live a relaxed easy life-style, rather than always being on some cure and diet to strictly follow...😉

Intermittent fasting means to set a 6-8 hour window for eating each day.  For example if your first meal is at noon you would stop eating at 8pm.

Combine this with reducing carbs.  Don't eat any rice, wheat products.  Also no potatoes.