Thai Stereotype Doctor

chiang mai

The stereotype Thai doctor of old has a reputation as someone who is never ever questioned, his word must be taken as gospel and he is to be almost revered for his status. I hadn't met one in over 20 years here but I'd heard lots of horror stories from others. This week I finally met one, a very senior retired chest doctor at a major hospital. Any time I tried to speak and volunteer symptoms, treatment or history, he cut me off, often very rudely. "I didn't ask you that", he said when I tried to explain my symptoms! "I often develop a cough in the rainy season" I volunteered......"ridiculous, there is absolutely no correlation", he said! I told him I had a history of bronchitis, "that's not relevant" he snarled. And every time he would respond to anything I said, he would fix me with an unblinking stare, as if to say, why are you speaking and interrupting my thinking. 

My wife was in the room with us and I glanced at her, she would later tell me later that she's seen this sort of doctor before....she was heading towards lift off but I shook my head to say no. 

I let him push his scope up my nose to see where the consultation was headed. "You have a deviated septum and an allergy, I need to do allergy tests", as his nurse pulled a tray of twenty small bottles from the fridge and handed them to him. "I don't think so" I said, "I think we're all done here".  "If you don't want the tests, I can't help you, you can go" he said, whilst I was still laid on the couch. I had been dismissed! The nurse appeared sympathetic and embarrassed.

Three days later and my wife and I are still talking about this. Was he old school" Didn't care for foreigners perhaps? Or just a bit of a whack job? Actually, I think he's forgotten the difference between students and patients, either that or he's the sort of person who would try to put together a 200 piece IKEA item of furniture, without the instructions or a picture!

I dunno, but the whole experience cost me 2k, 700 of which was the scope up the nose exercise, plus 600 for his fee. A lucrative encounter for him for ten minutes work but not a great outcome for me, who only wanted a 400 baht chest x-ray. Oh well. My wife said she was surprised I hadn't said anything to him. I told her it was because I couldn't work out what I was dealing with, plus I didn't think she'd look kindly on things if I pushed back on his demeanor....he has a very senior title plus the facility is proven and top rated.

I'll chalk the whole thing up to a learning experience.

• Like 1